Kentucky

Famous (or should be) Kentucky foods

I'm looking for ideas to go in my OOT bags.  Here's what I've got so far (ideas - no purchases):

Bourbon
Bourbon balls
Kizito cookies
Ale 8
BBC Beer

I'll include non-Kentucky selections as necessary, but I'd love to showcase more Kentucky things.  Suggestions?  I'd really like some non-alcoholic snacks.
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: Famous (or should be) Kentucky foods

• jfdstcjfdstc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to atasteofkentucky.com

I just went to a wedding where they gave out Blue Monday's as favors. They were a big hit.

Good luck!
  • melaniems31melaniems31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought popcorn from The Popcorn Station in J-town.  Not necessarilty famous, but local.  They have tons of flavors.  The website doesn't really list the options that are available if you go to the store directly.  It's geared more toward customers who wish to have popcorn shipped.

Maybe there is some place that you can get mini Derby Pies?

• edited December 2011
    I'm looking for the same things...someone on here earlier suggested using KFC buckets for the "bags," and I know that Post-It notes are manufactured in Kentucky...and JIF peanut butter too...you could also do those "Louisville Tap Water" water bottles.

Be sure to post if you have any more ideas!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know what part of Kentucky you're in/from, but maybe if there's a locally know restuarant there, have something from them. I'm from Murray, and in Aurora there's a drive-in burger joint that's been around since the 50s, Belew's. It's pretty cheesy, but it's only open during summer months, so it was always PACKED.  If you have a similarly popular place, it might be a nice touch.
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy hades.  I was at Belew's this summer.  FI and I went to the lake for the weekend (stayed at Hester's) with one of my BMs and her boyfriend. 

I'm actually from Georgetown/Lexington, but I live in Louisville (for now).  I went to Murray State, though.

How'd you land in LA?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
    edited December 2011
    Oh - other ideas - Kenny's Cajun Popcorn
    Blue Mondays - I don't know how I didn't think of those first off.
    Maker's Mark Coffee

And, it's not food, but Moss Hill is a local company that makes soaps and lotions - including Mint Julep scented stuff.  I'm hoping to get some of their stuff too.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    haha, don't taunt me with your talk of Belew's! I want a shake so bad...

I came out here for an internship for school, and then just kind of stayed, haha. I met my now fiance, so I ended up transferring schools, working on graduating now.

Yay for Murray and yay for Belew's! haha

oooh... I think you can order fruit butters/jams from Patti's restaurant in Grand Rivers from their website.   www.pattis-settlement.com  Who doesn't love strawberry butter?
    edited December 2011
    Oh, flowerpot bread & strawberry butter. . .  Damnit, it's a 4 hour drive from here! 

FI was like "where are you taking me" when I drug him out to Belew's, but then he understood. . . burgers, onion rings, and shakes.  I could live on it.  I spared him the Apple and Los Portales, though.  And Sue & Charlie's, too.  He doesn't do catfish.  Weird boy from Boston.  ;)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    haha, squirrly, you're making me homesick!
    edited December 2011
    Well, I'm betting your mom will thank me?  :) 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards