Hawaii
Options

My trip to Oahu! (really long, sorry!)

Hi ladies!  Well, I'm back!  I can't find my cord to upload pix, but when I do, I'll post a few.  My MOH was a trooper.  We ran around a ton and I know she was wiped out, so I didn't want to overdo it.  I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, but still really happy we went.  We were running around like crazy and didn't even have time to hang out on the beach, but we did manage a visit with a friend and some family, so that was nice.  Here's what we did:

Monday night...our flight was 2 hours late.  Arrived at midnight, but we were going to Hawaii so we weren't going to let that get to us :).  Decided to go straight to Walmart for water & snacks, and just to shop.  After that we went to McDonalds for Saimin.  Nothing like Saimin at 2:00 AM.  Then it was time to try and get a little rest.

Tuesday:  9:00 AM appt at Lani.  Met with Auntie Nettie for a bit. Was originally going to have our ceremony at Phase II and then reception at Phase I.  After seeing it again and since our guest list is decreasing, decided to have everything in Phase II.  It will be a lot more intimate under the trees.  This definitelly changed a ton of ideas I originally had for Phase I so felt like I was starting all over again, but in a good way.  Just wish I figured that out during our first visit so I had more time to plan for it.  MOH love Lani! 
After that, met with DOC, Dianna Shitanishi.  So happy we were able to meet in person.  She gave me a few more great vendor recommendations and we discussed our layout since we decided to change Phases.  Really happy I chose her.
After that, went to East Asian Basket Company (love it here!).  I bought my lauhala favor boxes and little honu charms. I also got some cool things to use for my centerpieces.  Then we drove to Chinatown (went to about 5 or 6 lei shops, and then off to Cakeworks for cake tasting.  Marlene was very sweet and let us try a ton of different cakes.  They were all delicious.  I was really happy with the experience and the vibe, so I decided to order my cake.  Woohoo!  Another check mark!  After all this, we went back to the hotel for a quick nap then had to meet a friend for dinner.  We were beat!

Wednesday:  Aloha Swapmeet here we come!!  We love, love, love this place.  We did some serious damage here.  I also found my wedding jewelry!!  Woohoo!!  Then it was off to see May for my H&M trial.  She is such a sweet lady.  My MOH got a massage from her May's Mom while I was getting my H&M done.  She said it was really good.  I was really happy with everything.  Again, will post pix soon.  My MOH is definitely using May for her hair.  My other bridesmaids will probably use her as well.  It was kind of weird walking around all dolled up afterwards, but I just had to deal with it.  After that, we went to Watanabe's. They were pretty wiped out because of prom & graduation.  Still have to decide on a florist.  Then, it was off to see our family.

Thursday:  Started the day with a local deluxe plate from McDonalds for breakfast, then went to Macys!  After that we went to Int'l Marketplace so I could buy a suitcase.  We bought wayyy too much stuff.  After that, we packed up and went to Leonard's for some malasadas.  I love, love, love malasadas.  Then we were off to the airport :(

So, had a wonderful time!!   Wish I had a chance to go to Costco to price a few things, but still so happy & thankful we had a chance to go.  I still need a florist for my bouquet, a photographer, and videographer.  I'll feel even better once we get that done.  Only 71 days to go!!

Re: My trip to Oahu! (really long, sorry!)

• Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks so much for sharing!  It sounds like you got a lot of checks done, congratulations!!  It's really great that your visit helped you with Lani site decisions - that itself makes the trip worth it!  :)

I was just wondering how your experience at the East Asian Basket Co. was?  Would you be able to share how much your lauhala boxes and honu charms cost and what size of boxes you bought?  Even though our wedding is in Maui, I have family in Honolulu who could easily pick up supplies for us.  It'd be great to have some background info!

If you're still looking for a photog, I'd recommend looking at Dulce Photography, which has very reasonable rates.  HTH!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, what a busy but great trip! Sounds like you got a lot done.

I went to Honolulu Costco last month when doing my site visit and have a pricelist for a bunch of things from there (alcohol, leis, welcome bag goodies) that I'd be happy to share. Let me know and I can email you : )

• Options
    pueopueo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love to see a copy of that Costco pricelist if you don't mind sharing.  My email is pueonani (at) gmail (dot) com

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for everything!  I will check out Dulce and Charlotte, I sent you a PM.  When I first walked into East Asian Basket Co. I was really excited.  They have so many things there.  When I looked at the Lauhala boxes though, I thought they were a bit pricey.  The 3x3 boxes I originally wanted were $1 each.  The 2x2 were $.50.  So, I wasn't actually going to buy them there.  Then I found this Clearance area!!  They had a bunch of the smaller boxes in big plastic bags.  I asked about it and they said each bag is only $2.  They said there were some mismatched but there were also some good one's, they just threw a bunch in there.  When I heard $2, I decided I did not care about the size anymore (most were about the 2x2 size) and I didn't care if they all matched.  I bought 4 bags.  I was able to get 35 really good ones and I know when I go through the leftover pieces I would probably be able to piece about 10 more together.  They also came with a couple lauhala bags which was really cool!  My honu pieces were $.40 for the smaller one's and then $.50 for the larger size.  I also bought these funky pineapple looking things (2 piece) that I am going to use as vases...$1.75 each!  My MOH bought a bunch of lauhala gift bags & a couple baskets,  and we both bought a bunch of ribbon.  So, definitely a fan.  HTH!

• Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the details!  Wow, it sounds like you got some excellent deals - you really struck gold!!  I'll be sure to check it out.  Thanks again for sharing!  :)

• Options
    JburggrafJburggraf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Charlotte, do you mind sending me the costo price list that you were able to put together pls.  Thank you so much :)  My email is jennieandromeo@gmail.com.  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards