Florida-South Florida

Ugh In-laws! Vent! (Semi-long, sorry!)

I know it could be worse but I'm so sick of my in-laws and whenever they visit I can actually feel my blood pressure and stress rise to the point that I can't sleep because I'm waiting to see what they are going to destroy/ruin next with their carelessness.  I was away on a trip and got back REALLY late last night to discover his ENTIRE family was in town staying at my house.  His sister is OCD and had cleaned up to the point where I cannot find anything now (this has happened before and apparantly FI forgot to tell her not to touch my s*#^!).  She also thought that my BRAND NEW cast iron pan looked "dirty" (also known as seasoned) so she decided to scrub it with soap.  Um...you can't use soap on seasoned cast iron, nor can you let it soak in the sink so it is now completely rusted.

Everytime his dad visits (every other weekend) he uses my computer and always ends up unpluging something (speakers, mouse, etc) and I can never figure out what is wrong with my computer at first.  He also unscrews 2 of the 3 lightbulbs in my office.  No idea why but it makes it almost dark in here. 

His mom always decides she wants to cook the equivalent of a Thanksgiving feast each night she is here but doesn't know what tupperware is and leaves half cut open onions, lemons, tomatoes, etc out on the counter in bowls.  She also attempts to do the dishes but then puts them all away usually covered with stuck on food since she is a slob.   The absolute worst part is that they are here ALL.THE.TIME.  They live in GA but his sister works for Delta and they fly for free so I can't get rid of them.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Okay, I'm done.  I feel better after getting that all out.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Ugh In-laws! Vent! (Semi-long, sorry!)

• Oh man!! They sound overwhelming! I'm sorry girl!

Hang in there!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Get FI involved. I know this sounds ridiculous, but he understands his family and they understand him. When FI's family starts to get ridiculous and I feel I'm losing control in my own house, I talk to FI and have him talk to them. It is his family, and he probably knows how to approach the issue without starting a fight. You might want to try and have him help now while it's stll early, you don't want to deal with that for the rest of your life! In return, promise you will help address any issues with your family that may bother him. :) GL
    *My Planning Bio* *UPDATED 1-18-2012*
    South FL March siggy: Fave Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree to get FI involved.  that is a handful my dear!!! I know, b/c I host my family and can hardly stand it sometimes...have you suggested a hotel room?? maybe that would be an option.  It is very hard to deal with in-laws becuase you want to remain respectful just as you want your FI to be respectful of your family.  And yes, they are all very different to deal with...sometimes I just drink wine when I am in these situations! lol! But we cannot always sefl-medicate so defintiely talk to FI and set some boundaries.  He can relay those to his family- that is his job. And maybe he can let them knwo that you guys are busy and to keep the visits from being so frequent.  Good luck!!!
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_ugh-in-laws-vent-semi-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:04d79821-b873-4e2d-9000-21acedbabb5cPost:8ff9f9b3-23b1-4af0-8f0c-f3f51035eac7">Re: Ugh In-laws! Vent! (Semi-long, sorry!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Get FI involved. I know this sounds ridiculous, but he understands his family and they understand him. When FI's family starts to get ridiculous and I feel I'm losing control in my own house, I talk to FI and have him talk to them. It is his family, and he probably knows how to approach the issue without starting a fight. You might want to try and have him help now while it's stll early, you don't want to deal with that for the rest of your life! In return, promise you will help address any issues with your family that may bother him. :) GL
    Posted by plswitze[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I second this!

</div>
    *So Fla Board February Siggy* My babe and I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have suggested a hotel room for myself when they are in town.  That's one reason they like that we live here is that they expect a guest room whenever they want.  None of the stuff they do bothers FI and he thinks I over react when they break things.  "Well don't buy things that break easily/that aren't easy to clean/that have to be use a certain way."  They are staying at our house before the wedding and I will not be here.  I already booked myself a hotel room so I don't even have to see them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I third the "talk to your FI".  You need to set the precedent now, otherwise this situation will spiral out of control... and YOU should not be the one leaving your own house to stay at a hotel... Your FI needs to talk to them and set he boundaries...
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards