Missouri-Kansas City

Random decor?

I posted the same question on the reception room board but I would like to ask my KC girls.  This is kinda a random question....

I had lunch with my mom today and we got to talking about decorating for the wedding reception the day of.  (which is the only time we can do it).. She said she needed me to help because she did not want to be stressing about it the day of.  We are bringing in a lot of trees with lights and things for the ceilings etc.  The venue will help set up some of it but not a lot.  ANyways my question is....I want to be getting ready, hanging with the girls, having a small brunch with mimosas and not stressing about decorating. I figured she would have my dad and other family help her but instead she looked at me like I was being a huge snot about not wanting to help.  Is this snobby of me? Am I being unreasonable?  Just looking for an opinion.  Thanks girls:)

Re: Random decor?

• kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definately see if there are any members of your family that are willing to help with the decorations.  If not, I would go with your mom as early as possible and get it done together, that way you can make sure it's right, then be on your way to enjoy the rest of your day.  I totally understand where you're coming from, and feel lucky that my venue does Everything for me!  However, I know most of my friends had to do their own set up for their weddings. For my BF's wedding last year all of the bridal party contributed and then went out to lunch when we were done.
  • jenifjenif member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    because our wedding was at 7:00pm and the venue didn't open until 5:00pm to begin setup, we did all the getting ready and bridal party pictures with the daylight we had available (daylight savings cost us one less hour of daylight). as a result, i knew that i had two hours to spare and chose to use that time to delegate and decorate our reception venue. but it was only because i had time. otherwise, i would have asked a not-so-close friend to help out and get tasks takenc are of.

as your mom, i can understand that she doesn't want to bare the stress, and she shouldn't have to. maybe, even if you DO have the time to assist with decorating, you elect to have someone else bare the primary responsibility of the decorations. this way, if your mom wants to help out she can do so without feeling like "if she doesn't do it, no one will" and can enjoy the moment as opposed to stressing about it.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls.  I will plan on hiring someone so my mom and I can relax and enjoy the day of the wedding.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    You might also ask your FI to do it.  They have fewer things to do as far as getting ready.  

The night before the wedding, I boxed up all the stuff to go to the reception site and labeled each box with it's contents and where those things were supposed to go.  The morning of the wedding, he took the boxes up there and got things set up so I didn't have to worry about scheduling my hair and such around it.

Just be organized and it should go quickly if you have enough help.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat, trying to decide who is going to help with that. I know i've helped set up weddings for my family before, and i've also been a friend of the bride helping set up, so i'd check with your family, or possibly some good friends that aren't in the wedding but wouldn't mind helping. Another option, depending on how close you are with them is the significant others of the groomsmen, because they guys are likely to be busy and their significant others may be willing to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards