Just Engaged and Proposals

ring snuggies

anyone use these? how are they?
Anniversary

Re: ring snuggies

• I used something similar to a snuggie on my ring for a little over a year because mine was a size too big and I didn't want to have to send it away quite yet! It was like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Adjuster-Assortment-White-Filled/dp/B001JPIY9Y/ref=pd_sim_misc_4

Except I got mine put on for free at the store where we bought the ring (Zales). I did fidget with it quite a bit (but I stopped being aware that I was fidgety after a couple of weeks, if that makes sense), and the ring didn't look quite as pretty when it wasn't on my finger, but other than that it was a great short term fix for a too-large ring!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • For short term or long term?  I would think getting it resized would be a better option.
  • I used one for about 3 months before getting my ring resized.  I think they are fine for short term, but they are awkward to wear and you will have problems getting your wedding band to sit flush with one on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm wearing one until I can get mine resized. It's not terribly uncomfortable. I fidget with jewelry anyway, so me fidgeting with the ring is nothing new, with or without the snuggie. :)
    I got my snuggie from Wal-Mart- they sell them in a pack of 6 in various sizes. They're a little tricky to get on initially, but once you get the right size snuggie on, it's fine. Like birdie1020 said, the ring doesn't look as pretty when it's off your finger, but it'll look fine on.
  • I got a package of the stiff plastic snuggies from claires at the mall, it had 5 or 6 different sizes.  Because my ring bands are very thin, one of the bigger snuggies is able to go around both the e-ring and wedding band if my little fingers havent gotten bigger by then.  

I am hesitant to resize with the micro-pave side stones, and the rings are only about .25 size too small...if I size them down and get bloated (or have a baby some day!) they will be to small.

My experience with the plastic snuggie, though, is that after a day of wearing it, I dont even notice it any more, but taking the ring off/on (for cleaning and such), the snuggie got loose and actually popped off on its own once!  Had I not noticed, my ring could have slid right off..  So be sure to be cautious of that!  If your ring is significantly too large, definately get it resized. I know a lot of small local jewelers will do it for a very low price and some on site while you wait.
  • jeslmjeslm member
    First Comment
    The plastic ones are fine short term, but I found when I wore one on my ring for more than a week or so it would harden and fall off easily (which of course made me nervous).  The metal ones can scratch the band a little bit, so be careful with that.

Before you cut your ring to re-size it, go to your jeweler and ask to try it on with a band behind it.  When I put mine on with a band, it felt noticeably tighter, so I decided I didn't want to cut it yet.

My e-ring is about a 1/4 to a 1/2 size too big, so what our jeweler recommended was to have sizing beads soldered on the inside.  These are little beads of whatever metal your ring is made of that get soldered on the inside of the ring at about 7 and 4 o'clock, if you look at your ring like a clock face.  You can't see them from the outside and I can't feel them at all, but it tightens the ring up just enough that it won't  slide over my knuckle when my hands aren't swollen.  I was without my ring for about three days, and the cost was about $40 for platinum.

At this point, I think when I get my band, I'm going to get it in the same size as my e-ring, because either I won't need anything because it'll make the fit tighter, or I'll just put beads on the inside of the band, too.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-snuggies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:1c400914-05e3-4eab-a147-f0dbf49e9afdPost:216eda16-8947-47ae-80dc-3423724dd926">Re: ring snuggies</a>:
    [QUOTE] Our jeweler recommended was to have sizing beads soldered on the inside.  These are little beads of whatever metal your ring is made of that get soldered on the inside of the ring at about 7 and 4 o'clock, if you look at your ring like a clock face.  You can't see them from the outside and I can't feel them at all, but it tightens the ring up just enough that it won't  slide over my knuckle when my hands aren't swollen.
    Posted by jeslm[/QUOTE]

I read that Kate Middleton did this with Dianas ring so the stone wouldnt flop to the side in photos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards