Not Engaged Yet

AW: Help me Choose (PIP)

Salvete (vel, "Hola" in linga espanica)!

I am buying a grip of furniture. I'm a bit freaked out about how much I'm spending, but I'm also very excited to make my apartment girly and matchy matchy. I'm sorta doing a cottage chic thing with lots of white furniture... but I'm also going with some purples and florals for other bits of stuff. You should see the awesome lavender couch I found to go with my side arms wtih Latin script on them. (I <3 overstock).

Anyway... at this point, I really just need a dining room table, but I need help deciding.

Do I go with the super budget option (to try to make up for being overbudget in a couple other categories):

I don't like it as much. You can see the screw holes, and the dark brown seat cushions aren't really what I'm looking for either. But it's not bad. And, let's face it, it's $200.

Or there's this one:

I like it okay. It's not my dream table by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it better than the other one. But it's also about twice as much. I like it a LOT more, but I don't know whether I should pinch pennies at this point because I've had to buy so much furniture or just go for the one I like better.

So... which table would you go with?

And for a gratuitous picture... here's the first non-dark brown bedding (ugh, boys!) I will have had in a decade:

Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)

• I don't want to spend more than $400. That was my original budget for a table. But, again, I went over on some other categories and this is the last thing really to pick out. So if I can come under, that'd be awesome. It doesn't have to be all white. So white legs with another color top (NOT BLACK) would probably be okay.
  • edited July 2012
    Of the two, I like the 1st one better.
    Anniversary
  • Maybe I should create a poll...
  • Oh, wait, I can't do that now. Fail!
  • Oooh I'm torn. I like that table better (and it looks like one I had liked that was over budget)... but I also have a hate-hate relationship with Walmart. Foiled.
  • becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-help-me-choose-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18ea3ec1-0192-43f1-91f8-12cfb78345bfPost:e27792ec-f2a6-4e67-918f-a984edfb53b4">Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP) : I feel the same way, but when we went to Target for a couch, it was totally unacceptable.  Walmart had one that I've owed secondhand before, it was 150$ and it fit in my space.  So we got it to sit on until we can afford $2K to get our dream couch.
    Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]

Hehe. I just got my dream couch. It's a basset, is comfy, and is a muted lavender. No joke. I've girled out my soon to be apartment.
  • I like the second one better.  But only if you can really afford it.
  • I LOVE the one Liv posted.  I think you'd be crazy not to buy it.
  • I love the table Liv posted.  I like the shelves built into it.  Cool.

I also love that you're so excited about your apartment.  It's cute.
  • Just so you'll have a true review here...

I actually have the barstools that match the set Liv posted. They are solid wood and a great quality. They've held up wonderfully for 5 years now...and I really think they're great quality. Another bonus - you can have wal-mart ship to your local store for free and you can pick it up...saves more $$$!

• I like table 2 for looks, but how big is it? I love round dining tables and I have one, but I find that square or rectangle are just better functionally. And I also love the one Liv posted, but I would encourage you to see if a local wal-mart has it and go and check out the quality. I've bought furniture from wal-mart and have found it about 50/50 on quality. It's a great price, but it really doesn't matter if it's only going to last a year. 

And my FI will absolutely not shop at Wal-mart. I sometimes have to buy things for the house there in secret. I'm sorry, but I'm a cheap a$$. I wish I had more principles, but I'd rather have more money!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-help-me-choose-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18ea3ec1-0192-43f1-91f8-12cfb78345bfPost:870621fc-4094-4bd3-aa0a-be01bd410118">Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just so you'll have a true review here... I actually have the barstools that match the set Liv posted. They are solid wood and a great quality. They've held up wonderfully for 5 years now...and <strong>I really think they're great quality.</strong> Another bonus - you can have wal-mart ship to your local store for free and you can pick it up...saves more $$$!
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

<div>This answers my quality question! I say if you're comfortable shopping at wal-mart, go with the table Liv posted! It's really cute!</div>
  • I like your second option best, but only if you can afford it. 

The one that Liv posted looks really cute, but I feel like the shelves would stop me from pushing the chairs all the way in when they weren't in use.  And I think I would constantly be banging my legs on the shelves when trying to sit at the table.  I would have to check it out in person before purchasing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • True story:  I haven't spent a dime at walmart since I was 16. Really. So I don't think I can get the table from there, even if I like it better. Can't break the track record now!

I think I like the idea of having a round table better, but I don't know whether that'd be easy to grade at or not. I *could* afford it. It's just a matter of how much I want to spend in one go.

I like the shelves on the walmart table too. But I'm also worried about leg room.
  • Since I'm being AWy and PIPy anyway... here's some more stuff I've found.

I am buying two of these (SQUEEEEEE goes the geek in me) to go with my awesome purple couch.

And I found this bathroom set to continue my natury-light purple and white thing.

I have more. Gobs more.
  • And since I keep talking about it, and I'm crazy excited about my apartment and making it matchy matchy...

Here's my couch! It's slightly more purple in person, but it's not screaming "OMG, I'm PURPLE" in person either. It's really comfy.

And here's a picture of a picture (wow, I must be excited if I'm taking pictures of pictures) of my bedroom set. I'm getting EXACTLY this set. In white. With my pretty purple bedspread.

Maybe I really have gone off the deep end. My parents sure seem to think so.

• Do you have a Big Lots near you? They have this set for only $299...though I can't speak to the quality.
    http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/dining-sets/6594

This set is on Amazon for slightly over your budget at $450
    http://www.amazon.com/Morrison-Piece-Rectangular-Dining-Natural/dp/B002RPFB9Q/ref=sr_1_763?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1343402015&sr=1-763
  • I love the Latin chair.  I need to get some HP-inspired accent chairs someday.
  • Ooooh, Allusive, I really like the one at big lots. I did a store locater, and there's some within driving distance, not too far from my new apartment to be, really! It's pretty and under budget. And I don't have any weird qualms about shopping at Big Lots.
  • Here is another set very similar to Liv's (not from walmart) that is only $61 over your budget...
    http://www.amazon.com/5-Piece-Cottage-Drop-Dining-White/dp/B000OW9YTM/ref=sr_1_19?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1343403531&sr=1-19
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-help-me-choose-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18ea3ec1-0192-43f1-91f8-12cfb78345bfPost:3aafcf10-df0f-41ca-92a9-73dc9d8257b7">Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]And I don't have any weird qualms about shopping at Big Lots.
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]
    Because Big Lots is AWESOME.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-help-me-choose-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:18ea3ec1-0192-43f1-91f8-12cfb78345bfPost:3aafcf10-df0f-41ca-92a9-73dc9d8257b7">Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooooh, Allusive, I really like the one at big lots. I did a store locater, and there's some within driving distance, not too far from my new apartment to be, really! It's pretty and under budget. And I don't have any weird qualms about shopping at Big Lots.
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

Yay! I hope you like what you see when you get there. I have purchased some things from Big Lots before...but you really have to see their items to determine quality. I once went and saw a piece of furniture there that I loved online...but it looked uber cheap in person. Hopefully this set is a win!

Love the rest of your purchases by the way. I think you're new place is going to look beautiful!
  • Allusive,

That's actually the exact one I had liked on overstock, but on overstock it was 150 over my budget.

Hmm.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-help-me-choose-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18ea3ec1-0192-43f1-91f8-12cfb78345bfPost:7f27e483-a8b8-40ce-9dc5-43032fb8b065">Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP) : Because Big Lots is AWESOME.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

Never been before! There's not one in my town.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-help-me-choose-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18ea3ec1-0192-43f1-91f8-12cfb78345bfPost:6a46d113-9106-435d-8449-47aba4594eba">Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP) : Love the rest of your purchases by the way. I think you're new place is going to look beautiful!
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I sure hope so!
  • Big Lots is pretty awesome, just like ahstillwell said. I've bought a lot of decorative items there. Be careful when you go - you could blow your savings on other things if you're not careful! haha!!
  • I like both of the tables actually and all the ones everyone else posted.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.  If you do decide to go the cheaper route and get the first table don't let the brown covers deter you...in fact it is an opportunity to customize your table.  You just need a screw driver, a staple gun and some pretty lavendar fabric!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-help-me-choose-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18ea3ec1-0192-43f1-91f8-12cfb78345bfPost:4b698522-08d0-484e-aa20-d8e43592bf01">Re: AW: Help me Choose (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like both of the tables actually and all the ones everyone else posted.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.  If you do decide to go the cheaper route and get the first table don't let the brown covers deter you...in fact it is an opportunity to customize your table.  You just need a screw driver, a staple gun and some pretty lavendar fabric!
    Posted by doubleSS07[/QUOTE]

OOOOH, I hadn't thought of that!
  • I like the first one. I do like the option that Liv posted, but I found that with the one round table I had, it fit really awkwardly in the dining space that I had.
  • I love the table set Liv picked out!

I love the pics of the furniture and the decor idea.. so pretty.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards