November 2012 Weddings

What are you doing for parent gifts?

I am so stumped about what to do for our parents for gifts! We both are terrible gift buyers and never know what to buy people. I kind of don't want to do the cliche picture frame or photobook, I want to do something else.

I know for my dad I'm going to buy him an embroidered hankerchief with a letter, but I'm giving that to him seperately on the day of the wedding when he comes in to see me. What are you all doing? Thanks for any ideas!
imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
Photobucket
The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
243 Invited image
172 Can't wait image
71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What are you doing for parent gifts?

• I'm also doing an embroidered hankerchief for both my mom and MIL. I also got them both a Pandora charm (along with myself and my SIL so we will all have the same one). My FI is taking his groomsmen and father on a fishing trip in the spring as their gift. I also got them both really mushy cards-parents love that stuff :) We will also make them a parents album after the wedding. 
  • For both sets of parents we are making up gift baskets that include some of their favorite things. For my mom's I  put in a bottle of her favorite perfume that is hard to find (I actually got it while on a cruise last year) and an earring/necklace set. For his parents basket we are thinking about doing a Wine of the Month Club and putting in some smaller gifts that go with that theme, otherwise just putting in a nice bottle of wine and wine accessories with a few other of their fav. things. Both sets of parents will also get a copy of the wedding video (part of our videographers package) and probably an album I create.
    imageNovember 2012 November Siggy Challenge - Venue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm just writing them letters. My parents hate when we spend money on them for their birthdays or Christmas, they would be frustrated that we spent money on them for the wedding rather than save for our honeymoon.
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • We've ordered parent albums for both sets. We are doing a weekend away in the Cape for his parents, since they put so much extra into the wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • Gift cards to very nice restaurants in our area.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Leenie10Leenie10 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012

So far I just bought embroidered handkerchiefs for both Moms. They say mother of the groom/bride, our names and the wedding date on them. FI's Dad is deceased; we are planning to have a small memorial vase with flowers in it at the reception. We are also doing a donation to the Americal Heart Assoc. in his honor and in lieu of favors.
    My Dad always tells us he doesn't need anything. I'd like to get him a framed picture of the two of us with something engraved on it, but I'm not sure.
    Also, if anyone has good ideas for Best Man gifts, please let me know. He is FI's brother but FI says he has everything...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm totally doing the cliched picture frame thing. Haha
  • Yup, I'm going with the sterotypical photo albulms too. I just know its something they would both really appreciate and cherish
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow! Great ideas! Thank you! Keep em coming if you have other ideas. :) 
    Photobucket
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got my mom and his mom the same Brighton bracelet, my dad the embroidered handkerchief, and we are taking his dad to the FSU v. UM game in October. I also picked up his sister the Brighton "sister" charm.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_what-are-you-doing-for-parent-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:2a2702ae-a476-4fc5-8462-5a88b153f610Post:e68085b5-2c6b-4126-99be-8e7025527d52">Re: What are you doing for parent gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my mom and his mom <strong>the same Brighton bracelet</strong>, my dad the embroidered handkerchief, and we are taking his dad to the FSU v. UM game in October. I also picked up his sister the Brighton "sister" charm.
    Posted by Jess71186[/QUOTE]

What is this? Is it popular in your area? I haven't heard of it. Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got all the guys Omaha Steak gift cards...they don't really need stuff and Omaha has some amazing stuff. Parents we are doing albums and sappy card.
  • I got fi's mom a pearl bracelet to wear in the wedding and she'll get a picture frame with a wedding pic of us and the kids).  Same for my grandma.

My mom is getting bracelets and earrings and the same picture frame with pic.  

Not sure about the dads.  This is a hard one...maybe the hankerkeif idea would work.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm getting my parents a gift card to a restaurant and tickets to a really nice theatre in town.  I'm also getting my dad a hankie that's been embroidered and I'm still trying to find something else for my mom!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've found a few nice shops on Etsy that sell handmade leather journals. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting my mom a t-shirt quilt. its made from my old baby clothes and cheerleading outfits. something she'd love and it got rid of the old baby clothes from her closet she was holding onto.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_what-are-you-doing-for-parent-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:2a2702ae-a476-4fc5-8462-5a88b153f610Post:4927ab1c-71a3-4119-923a-eb102befb3d1">Re: What are you doing for parent gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting my mom a t-shirt quilt. its made from my old baby clothes and cheerleading outfits. something she'd love and it got rid of the old baby clothes from her closet she was holding onto.
    Posted by c1lott[/QUOTE]

<div>I love that! Too bad my mom got rid of all of our old clothes! :)</div>
    Photobucket
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the ideas! I'm liking the necklaces for our moms. Our dads are sooooo hard to shop for. Darn dads!
    Photobucket
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_what-are-you-doing-for-parent-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:2a2702ae-a476-4fc5-8462-5a88b153f610Post:eab29284-4de0-46da-b1df-b24e19870f76">Re: What are you doing for parent gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you doing for parent gifts? : What is this? Is it popular in your area? I haven't heard of it. Thanks
    Posted by Leenie10[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't see this until now... <a href="http://www.brighton.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.brighton.com/</a> 

His Mom really loves this jewelery!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards