Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How small is too small?

This is my 2nd marriage & since FI & I live together & already have a houseful we weren't going to register anywhere until I read everyone's suggestions on here, (upgrades/wish lists,crazy lamps, etc...).  Anyway, our list has about 40 items on it.  We figured we would just register @ BB&B since it's a smaller list.  My mom thinks it would be better if we registered at a second place to give our guests another option.  Could we break the list in half, or would 15, or so, items be too small of an amount to register for at each store?  How did you decide which items you registered for at each store? 
TIA
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How small is too small?

• Options
    How many guests are you inviting relative to the 40 gifts you have on your list?

15 items seems like it's a little on the small size for a registry.  Are there a few more items you would be able to add to each?

I have 3 registries and I divided up gifts so that each registry had a full range of price points.  I also did some comparisions and tried to register for an itme at the least expensive store (my everyday china at BBB is half the price of the same set at Macy's). 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_small-small?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:8a7d87a6-028d-4e8f-9b17-0fafdd879aedPost:3e5c7707-d985-44f7-a925-faf6a6f86784">Re: How small is too small?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many guests are you inviting relative to the 40 gifts you have on your list? 15 items seems like it's a little on the small size for a registry.  Are there a few more items you would be able to add to each? I have 3 registries and I divided up gifts so that each registry had a full range of price points.  I also did some comparisions and tried to register for an itme at the least expensive store (my everyday china at BBB is half the price of the same set at Macy's). 
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

Right now there are 219 people on the guest list.  We're guestimating 150 will be attending (if that helps).  I was thinking its too small to divide too.  Once we get into the store maybe we'll find other things to add?  Thanks for the advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know you don't want to have too big of a registry since this is your second marriage, but 40 items seems awfully small for 219 people invited.  I think once you get in the store you will probably find more items that you hadn't thought of. 
  • Options
    i read somewhere that you should register for  at least twice as many gifts as guests invited. In your case, registering for 400 items may be impossible- but you should try to up the registry to at least 100-150 items, so guests have a variety of gifts and price ranges to choose from. I have heard of registry360 (or something like that) which allows you to create a registry from many different sites/locations. I understand that you dont need a lot of items, but registering for only 40 may lead to your registry running out quick and guests thinking you are just asking for money. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Here are some upgrading ideas.

You could use this as an opportunity to get fine dining items.  I would register for crystal, china, and silver flatware.  I think Macy's or Dillard's would have the best selection for fine dining.

If you like to cook, register for some Wusthoff knives and All-Clad pans. Le Cruesette has some really great ceramic pots that go from stove to oven to table top. Macy's or William's Sonoma are good places for gourmet cooking items.

You can also upgrade all of your linens.  People really like buying towels and sheets off of registries, so I would register for some nice 600 thread count sheets and Egyptian cotton towels. 

You can register for a really nice Kitchen Aid stand mixer and some of the fun accessories.  You may find you like to make homemade ice cream or pasta from scratch.

If you register at Target, you can add some new gadgets to your wish list.  They carry camcorders, digital cameras, movies, and tv's.  You can also register for some family board games.

Photobucket
  • Options
    I think it is fine to register at just one store, especially if your list is so small. Although I might recommend that Macy's has some better quality items (if you are upgrading- like sheets and towels, etc) than BBB.
  • Options
    I'm of the mindset that you don't ever register for things unless you actually want them.  Register for what you honestly want- upgrades etc- and leave it at that. Make sure there are things from each price range and once they are gone, they are gone and guests can give money, gift cards, or items they find on their own.
  • Options
    I think that registries have gotten waaaayyyy out of control these days. If you only want to register for a few things...then register for a few things. Don't ask for things just to put them on a registry. People get greedy and ask for things that are ridiculous.  
  • Options

I'm in the same boat. I don't really need anything, so I'm not even going to bother with a registry. Yeah, we could update a few things, but I always thought it was a silly idea to have someone else pay for my own sheets.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards