Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Am I being out of line?

Ok, so I know I'm inviting possibly snarky comments, lol, but I do want some opinions on this. So at my job I have a clinical practice site. My personal site has decided to have quarterly meetings with all of their shared faculty members (there are only 4 of us). So our last "quarterly" meeting was a year ago, so you can see how often these actually happen.

Anyways, the last one was in PGH so they said the PGH people would travel to Ohio for the next one. A few weeks ago I got a meeting request for the next meeting to be on 9/16, which is the Thursday before my wedding. I sent a response back requesting a different meeting date. I explained that it was 2 days before my wedding, and if there was any way we could please move it earlier in the week or even the week before that would be wonderful.

I didnt hear anything for a few weeks, and tonight I got another request. Same day, different time. I accepted the request because I feel like I dont have any other choice, but I'm slightly annoyed. I know I'm not off that day, but it is a 3 hour drive each way, there are only 4 of us, and I just wish they would be a little bit more considerate. My FI will still be out of town that day, so I'm afraid I will be the one running the last minute errands ,and I am just forseeing a lot of stress for me that week, and especially Thursday.

So thoughts, empathy or a good tongue lashing if you dont agree with me Tongue out

Re: Am I being out of line?

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, and I know many many people do this, but I can't imagine working at all the week of my wedding, so... I feel you!  Can you just take the day off so you don't have to deal with it? 

I can understand why they wouldn't reschedule around your wedding, but do you really really need to go to the meeting?  Can they conference you in from home or something instead?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel like maybe I shouldn't have an opinion on this because it's not even remotely close to my wedding. However...I have $0.02 to throw in.

I think I would ask if a conference call or a Skype-like thing can be arranged. If not, I would suck it up and go. 

If you aren't off anyway, will it make that much of a difference? I'm legit curious.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I would say if you are not taking vacation that day, you would have to go to the meeting.

Could you take vacation that day?  You could avoid it all together that wayTongue out
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• JamieK1882JamieK1882 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately I didnt take a vacation day that day so I'm definitely going. Since there are only 4 of the shared faculty, they will want me to be there. I really can't get out of it, so I guess I was just sorta making sure I wasn't being out of line for being annoyed. I did take Friday off, but I am taking 2 weeks off for my honeymoon after the wedding, so I can't really take anymore time off than that.
  • amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    Are you expected to arrive to work early and get home a lot later because of the drive?  If so I would explain that you will have things do do that Thursday night.  If you are basically working the same hours I don't think there is anything you can do. 

One thing you may want to bring up is that you will be out two weeks, starting the day after the meeting, and that you would like to tie up any loose ends before you leave. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    Amy makes a great point.. and even though you will be at work anyhow, driving 3 hours one way when you are stressed out isn't fun. Will you get home much later?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    Probably not too much later. I thought of an angle. My class that I am in charge of meets that at 1:40pm. I technically am not teaching that day, but since I am the coursemaster, I like to sit in when others lecture so I know what info the students are getting. So I sent a resonse back asking to meet early morning becuase i have class that afternoon. Just being in PGH would make me feel better, whether I'm working or not! Fingers crossed they accept!
    edited December 2011
    On a side note, I found out the exact location of the meeting and it is only a 2 hour drive each way, not 3. Still not much better but helps a little bit I guess.
  • edited December 2011
    I know you figured out your angle, but I just wanted to say that I would be annoyed too. Maybe you could figure something out if you talked to the others one-on-one, or what if you suggest an alternate time. I know you said you asked if they could meet earlier, but I would actually send a meeting request with a new proposed time, and say, "I just can't do that day..."
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i worked through the day before the rehearsal dinner and it was really no biggie. there's no rule stating you need to take off so many days before the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd be slightly annoyed, but I don't think there's much you can do. Hopefully they accept your earlier meeting request- that seems like it will work out better. Like LaFemme, I can't imagine working that Thursday before, but that's just me, esp. since I was planning from OOT.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd be annoyed, but it doesn't seem like you have a choice to me if you can't take a vacation day on Thursday.  :(

I'd be stressed about traveling that day though.  Don't leave anything to the last minute and delegate to your mom, FMIL or a BM if you need help.  Hope it works out for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
    edited December 2011
    Update: the meeting is now over by 12 and I should be home by 3..woohoo! Looks good Smile
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    great news!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards