Wedding Woes
Options

live animal as a gift

My leopard gecko was a Christmas gift 2 years ago - but DK let me pick her out. 

He did some research and bought all of the supplies in advance. When i opened them, he told me that he was planning on taking me to pick out a gecko. 

It was a surprise, but a good one. 

Re: live animal as a gift

• Options
    I always like this approach, I think it's clever.  I had friends who did something similar, packed up a dog collar/leash and accessories and let their daughter unwrap that.  Once she realized what it was, they went to the shelter to pick out a puppy (is was birthday, Christmas might be harder with a kid doing that).
  • Options
    My parents tried to do that with cats for my younger sis and I. It backfired when The Humane Society wouldn't let us (YS and I) into the cat room to look at the cats. Mom and Dad ended up picking out two. They ended up being the worst cats ever (well, not ever, but they weren't very nice).
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." ~C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    what the hell sort of humane society bars kids from the selection process?  That's...a challenge.  That's the whole reason you go together.

My parents did actually put a live parakeet under the tree for me in 5th grade or so.
    (that's the 'bird w/ my speech impediment story').
    That was an awesome gift for me but...odd since I had never asked for one.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_live-animal-as-a-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:ea5df852-a704-4725-a492-56902432cff4Post:5619e688-9b03-4e77-9ede-9ad5570b3d35">Re: live animal as a gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]what the hell sort of humane society bars kids from the selection process?  That's...a challenge.  That's the whole reason you go together. My parents did actually put a live parakeet under the tree for me in 5th grade or so. (that's the 'bird w/ my speech impediment story'). That was an awesome gift for me but...odd since I had never asked for one.  
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]

Oh, I forgot when my Older Sis got us parakeets! She brought them to the Christmas Party (with M&Ds permission). My Mom ended up killing on by accident (literally scared it to death by turning on the vacuum) and the dog got the other. Parakeets + bird dog (lab) = not a smart idea.

As for the humane society - they claimed it was a liability thing. No one under 18 was allowed in. M&D could go pick out a cat and bring it into another room and make sure it didn't hate either of us but only for three different cats. They didn't have very many cat adoptions if I remember correctly.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." ~C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    My parents gave my grandparents a couple of finches one year for Christmas.  They were avid bird watchers and I remember my parents being very excited about the gift.  They kept them a few months and then asked us to take them back because they didn't feel that birds should be caged. 

So then we had them for the rest of their natural lives.  I remember that they laid eggs and then ate them, I suppose to keep their children from facing the same hellish, caged existence. 

Didn't ask for it + didn't live in the same house as the giver = bad idea

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pretty much in the zsa camp on still a bad idea. Only if it's been discussed and agreed upon by absolutely everyone in the house and it's only just getting off yr duff to do it.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_live-animal-as-a-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:ea5df852-a704-4725-a492-56902432cff4Post:dd9458f2-0dab-4468-acbc-b3fce292565e">Re: live animal as a gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents gave my grandparents a couple of finches one year for Christmas.  They were avid bird watchers and I remember my parents being very excited about the gift.  They kept them a few months and then asked us to take them back because they didn't feel that birds should be caged.  So then we had them for the rest of their natural lives.  I remember that they laid eggs and then ate them, I suppose to keep their children from facing the same hellish, caged existence.  Didn't ask for it + didn't live in the same house as the giver = bad idea
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I guess I can see not wanting to look at the poor caged birds every day, but surely they knew that giving the birds back didn't magically free them from the cages, yes?

</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards