Wedding Etiquette Forum

Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise!

Hello my fellow Knotties!

My husband and I eloped (family was aware) in 2010 via JOP. We just wanted to be married. We also didn't need the fuss and glamour. I mean if we did, or I did, we would have waited and made it so. 

Well we decided to renew our vows. 

1- My husband had significant hearing damage as one of his many injuries due to a rocket attack while he was deployed. SO, he had not heard our vows well and had difficulty hearing what he needed to repeat for our standard vows, as well as our ceremony.
(since the incident, some of his hearing has recovered)

2- We've been through a lot together. We lost a lot together, and gained more :-) 

There will not be any gifts and I had read that if in case some desire to do so- that perhaps we could have them donate to charity. I think a donation to Wounded Warriors or a legit veteran assitance program would be ideal.

The list of guests is 13 (including my husband and I) I plan to wear a pretty dress suit of some sort or a really pretty, simple easter dress suit. (I like light colors). I'll probably have my hair done, and wear a beautiful pin on corsage.

We're probably going to do it at a samll, quick ceremony at our church, followed by light refreshments at our apartment.

HERE'S my dilemma. Our five year wedding anniversary is on a week day when our immediate family would be working. - More important, Joe and I might be wrapping up finals (we're both in college- He's a mechanical engineer major, I am a political science - law studies major). SO, I thought we would do the renewal on May 9, 2015 (a few short days before our actual anniversary) because we had started dating on May 9, 2009. 

Would that be okay? Or would it upset the family that it wasn't on our true anniversary?

Thanks <3

Re: Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise!

• I think it would be fine. It is also my birthday, so I'm a fan. ;)
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think what you have planned is fine.  It is also perfectly fine to have the vow renewal on a day that works well for both you and your family.  I don't really see why your family would be upset because it is a day or two before your actual anniversary date.  There are no rules saying that your vow renewal has to be exactly on your anniversary date, but it would make sense to have it close to it.

• That sounds totally fine to me. Congratulations!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vow-renewal-not-a-wedding-promise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea49cba7-caad-42bc-83da-5f7ed603527fPost:b254725f-10ca-4899-9a61-84d353f62e0c">Re: Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think what you have planned is fine.  It is also perfectly fine to have the vow renewal on a day that works well for both you and your family.  I don't really see why your family would be upset because it is a day or two before your actual anniversary date.  There are no rules saying that your vow renewal has to be exactly on your anniversary date, but it would make sense to have it close to it.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Oh!! We got married on May 14, 2010. So I think it would work out well. You're right, it would be best to have it reasonably close to the actual date :) 

</div>
  • Sounds wonderful, enjoy your special event.
  • That sounds fine to me.
  • Thank you for actually understanding the purpose of a vow renewal. I hope you and your husband have a beautiful day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That sounds classy and very beautiful. Congrats, and I hope you both have a wondeful renewal ceremony and day!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vow-renewal-not-a-wedding-promise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea49cba7-caad-42bc-83da-5f7ed603527fPost:fc5811d4-cb17-40ff-8324-5a93af883af2">Re: Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for actually understanding the purpose of a vow renewal. I hope you and your husband have a beautiful day!
    Posted by Fancypantsamy[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div><div>The thanks goes to my husband :-) When he had originally suggested it- I started to plan a WEDDING! (I did not have a clue what a renewal was- until I googled it) Thankfully a renewal is less formal, more intimate and less fuss and muss. I was so much more delighted to know it wasn't a wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>A wedding is sacred- I'm the WIFE, NOT the bride. I did not go to the JOP because of some "situation" we went because we just wanted to be married.</div><div>
    </div><div>You don't cut corners or at least make the excuse that you want the "wedding" because you "had to" cut corners.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>There is no right or wrong way to wed the love of your life. </div></div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vow-renewal-not-a-wedding-promise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea49cba7-caad-42bc-83da-5f7ed603527fPost:b254725f-10ca-4899-9a61-84d353f62e0c">Re: Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think what you have planned is fine.  It is also perfectly fine to have the vow renewal on a day that works well for both you and your family.  I don't really see why your family would be upset because it is a day or two before your actual anniversary date. <strong> There are no rules saying that your vow renewal has to be exactly on your anniversary date</strong>, but it would make sense to have it close to it.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. good luck with the rest of your planning!</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vow-renewal-not-a-wedding-promise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea49cba7-caad-42bc-83da-5f7ed603527fPost:5aff2512-78c6-4529-9a0e-eacd98441409">Re: Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise! : The thanks goes to my husband :-) When he had originally suggested it- I started to plan a WEDDING! (I did not have a clue what a renewal was- until I googled it) Thankfully a renewal is less formal, more intimate and less fuss and muss. I was so much more delighted to know it wasn't a wedding.  A wedding is sacred- I'm the WIFE, NOT the bride. I did not go to the JOP because of some "situation" we went because we just wanted to be married. You don't cut corners or at least make the excuse that you want the "wedding" because you "had to" cut corners. There is no right or wrong way to wed the love of your life. 
    Posted by JessOwl514[/QUOTE]

<div>Holy crap we have a sane one.  Someone sticky this.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vow-renewal-not-a-wedding-promise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea49cba7-caad-42bc-83da-5f7ed603527fPost:c9754169-b507-49c2-a8d3-237fd4694746">Re:Vow renewal not a weddingpromise!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your plan sounds fine except for the donation part. Putting anything about a donation in lieu of gifts sends the signal that you expect gifts. I wouldn't mention gifts at all. If anyone does give you a monetary gift then you can donate it yourself to WW.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]
     <div>Good one! Thanks for the input :-) I was not planning to mention gifts at all. I believe that the family will not worry about it. (hopefully)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Sounds beautiful!  My thanks to both of you for your husband's service.  My FI is a psychologist whose specialty is PTSD, so I've learned a lot about what military service can cost even after deployment.

May you have many, many happy years together!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vow-renewal-not-a-wedding-promise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea49cba7-caad-42bc-83da-5f7ed603527fPost:2d021ec3-017d-4663-8462-d0a18837196f">Vow renewal *not a wedding-promise!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello my fellow Knotties! My husband and I eloped (family was aware) in 2010 via JOP. We just wanted to be married. We also didn't need the fuss and glamour. I mean if we did, or I did, we would have waited and made it so.  Well we decided to renew our vows.  1- My husband had significant hearing damage as one of his many injuries due to a rocket attack while he was deployed. SO, he had not heard our vows well and had difficulty hearing what he needed to repeat for our standard vows, as well as our ceremony. (since the incident, some of his hearing has recovered) 2- We've been through a lot together. We lost a lot together, and gained more :-)  There will not be any gifts and I had read that if in case some desire to do so- that perhaps we could have them donate to charity. I think a donation to Wounded Warriors or a legit veteran assitance program would be ideal. The list of guests is 13 (including my husband and I) I plan to wear a pretty dress suit of some sort or a really pretty, simple easter dress suit. (I like light colors). I'll probably have my hair done, and wear a beautiful pin on corsage. We're probably going to do it at a samll, quick ceremony at our church, followed by light refreshments at our apartment. HERE'S my dilemma. Our five year wedding anniversary is on a week day when our immediate family would be working. - More important, Joe and I might be wrapping up finals (we're both in college- He's a mechanical engineer major, I am a political science - law studies major). SO, I thought we would do the renewal on May 9, 2015 (a few short days before our actual anniversary) because we had started dating on May 9, 2009.  Would that be okay? Or would it upset the family that it wasn't on our true anniversary? Thanks <3
    Posted by JessOwl514[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Sounds perfect.  </div><div>
    </div><div>My husband and I are planning a vow renewal and may not even do it the same *month* as our anniversary.  Our wedding day/anniversary will always be that.  We just want to renew our vows.  </div><div>
    </div><div>What you have planned sounds lovely.  

</div>
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards