Massachusetts

Berkshire Honeymoon suggestions?

Hi there!

My fiance and I are trying to save for a house an opted to choose a honeymoon destination that is within driving distance (we love roadtrips!), but still will be a romantic get-away following the wedding.

We are getting married on October 1st in Central, MA, and I haven't really spent much time in Western, MA. I figure it will be a nice time of year and was hoping for some input on things to do/places to go.

We've may already have a free place to stay through a family friend at a house in Richmond.

I'd appreciate any feedback...thanks!

Re: Berkshire Honeymoon suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    We went out that way last summer and climbed Mt. Greylock. I don't know if you and your FI are hikers, but it was a great climb, and that time of year the leaves might be starting to turn.
    image 89 We asked to dance
    image 78 Are ready to go! image 11 Are lame but save us some money! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bpphoto785bpphoto785 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It should be gorgeous in October with the leaves changing! What do you and your FI like to do? There are a TON of museums, my favorite is Mass MoCA. Historical houses like Namkeag in Stockbridge, where the gardens might not be at their peak, but I bet the view would be gorgeous! You could spend an afternoon in one of the cute downtowns like Lenox or Great Barrington. Pittsfield still has theatre in October at the Colonial or Barrington Stage. If you're outdoorsy Mt. Greylock is awesome, so is the Natural Bridge in North Adams. Jiminy Peak also has an adventure course, but I don't know if that's open in October. You could go to one of the local farms/orchards like Bartlett's in Richmond or Whitney's in Lanesboro. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I live in the Berks if you want to PM with any questions! 
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MacatawaMacatawa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    dupless - Thanks for your response. We do enjoy hiking and will definitely look into that as an option. We hiked Mt. Monadnock last summer.

bpphoto785 - Thanks also for your reply and helpful input. Great views, orchards and cute downtowns all sound wonderful. Plus museums and maybe catching a show would be great! He is involved in Community Theater.

Would either of you know anything about bike trails in the area, or a possible place for us to go get pampered with a massage, etc?

Thanks again!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's the Ashuwillticook rail trail which runs from Lanesboro to North Adams (20mi. each way I think?). It's beautiful and great for biking, rollerblading, etc. We take our dog for walks there all the time.
    For pampering, there's Elle in the Crowne Plaza in Pittsfield or Essencials on the Pittsfield/Lenox line. I'm sure there are more, but I've heard good reviews from those two.
    May '12 Nesties
    MARRIED!
  • edited December 2011

I don't know of either of these, but we stayed in Lee, MA and I'm sure you could go to yellowpages.com and find spa or massage options there. They've got to have most things that you would be looking for. As for the bike trails... I'm not much help! Sorry!!

image 89 We asked to dance
    image 78 Are ready to go! image 11 Are lame but save us some money! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again to both of you for responding! I appreciate the feedback and am getting excited and looking forward to the trip west. I may have further questions closer to the date, but my fiance keeps reminding me that the honeymoon is supposed to be his responsibility ;) Anyway, thanks again...I'm so excited. Best of luck to you!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    May '12 Nesties
    MARRIED!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOVE the article, thank you for sharing it! I wasn't sure if it'd be too far to do a day-trip during the 'honeyweek' to drive to the Catskills from the Berkshires. It's so exciting to explore new places, especially when they are so drive-able!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the Catskills are about 2 hours away, so you could do it as a day trip or make it a weekend trip! I think a New England road trip honeymoon sounds like fun! 
    May '12 Nesties
    MARRIED!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again for the info. I will definitely look into the Catskills too. We'll be lucky to have a place to stay and it seems so easy to get to a bunch of fun places nearby. We love roadtrips...should be the perfect get-away!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards