Registry and Gift Forum
Options

To register or no....Eloping but bought a new house

I've read some conflicting posts on registries for couples who elope. We really don't need much since we've lived together for many years now, but have family members that would rather die than not get us a wedding gift. To add to the confusion, we just got a new house, again we don't need much, but we've already been asked if there is a housewarming registry started. So should I make two registries, one, or none? And how do I let people know without sounding like I'm asking for handouts on the "we just got married" notes at Christmas time?

We've already planned on a party for next summer, but it's more of a BBQ/ housewarming. I suppose we can tack on reception, for the last-minute wedding.

Re: To register or no....Eloping but bought a new house

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-noeloping-but-bought-new-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:397def9f-3c5f-43cc-9722-8768ec1b03b4Post:8b6a2c00-85cf-454c-abbd-d8eb6ba34d23">Re: To register or no....Eloping but bought a new house</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To register or no....Eloping but bought a new house : I agree that they are kind of weird, but it's totally common in my area. In fact, I just went to a housewarming party a few months ago that had a registry. It was for a young single chick. So, my point is, it all depends on your area and your guests. If it's not common by you, then you'll look weird...
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

Just because people do it doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-noeloping-but-bought-new-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:397def9f-3c5f-43cc-9722-8768ec1b03b4Post:8b6a2c00-85cf-454c-abbd-d8eb6ba34d23">Re: To register or no....Eloping but bought a new house</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To register or no....Eloping but bought a new house : I agree that they are kind of weird, but it's totally common in my area. In fact, I just went to a housewarming party a few months ago that had a registry. It was for a young single chick. So, my point is, it all depends on your area and your guests. If it's not common by you, then you'll look weird...
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

Weird. Definitely lived in NJ for the last 25 years of my life and have never seen a housewarming registry.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-noeloping-but-bought-new-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:397def9f-3c5f-43cc-9722-8768ec1b03b4Post:e88d5e7f-20ca-4752-ad29-0541f79d73ab">Re: To register or no....Eloping but bought a new house</a>:
    [QUOTE]Knitty, don't feel guilty about accepting the gifts that people are bringing you. You didn't solicit them in any way, and the givers truly wanted to do that. Just write a nice TY note, and enjoy the present. About the housewarming thing:  It was for a young single chick. Ugh. Just ugh.  I'm sorry, but I have a horrible visual of such a person: that's terribly entitled and presumptuous. She doesn't even have the "excuse" of being a bride.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]
    She didn't throw it for herself. It was a surprise from her mom. I didn't say it was right and I know that just because someone does it does not mean it's correct.
  • Options
    If you are having a wedding party combined with a housewarming, have a registry. buy a garter and wear a dress you already have. Fling the garter, cut a cake (simple homemade you normally get on your birthday), and then it seems justified. Roll the 2 parties into one. My parents did that and nobody sniffled (except the preacher at their "barnyard" wedding). The mini reception in your living room can be quite fun for the guests since it is about the most personal you can get.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards