South Asian Weddings

Open Bar?

Did you or will you have an open bar? Cash bar? Premium or Regular? From what time to what time or will it be opened all night? How much did you have to pay? How many did you have? I know, a lot of "How's". Sorry!

Re: Open Bar?

• MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes to open bar...Indian weddings in toronto HAVE to be open bar lol!  (or people say things...) and honestly we wouldnt have had it any other way :D

We had standard with some premium options like red label and cockail mixers and a signature martini.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_open-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:19f96736-bcc3-4a72-b845-a5c8f62123a9Post:dd43ca1c-7160-4ad4-8f48-f3ddcccb20a1">Re: Open Bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes to open bar...Indian weddings in toronto HAVE to be open bar lol!  (or people say things...) and honestly we wouldnt have had it any other way :D We had standard with some premium options like red label and cockail mixers and a <strong>signature martini.</strong>
    Posted by MrsBM[/QUOTE]

<div>What was your signature martini?</div>
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Purple Haze! 
  • edited December 2011
    We had an open bar as well, but it wasn't premium or top shelf since it wasn't worth it to us.

We also had two signature drinks that I tried to also tie into our wedding colors - one was a white mango sangria (that was orange) and the other was a pomegranate martini (so it was close to burgundy). We named them after the places we got engaged and had our engagement photos taken - The Met Martini (we got engaged at The Metropolitan Museum of Art) and The Grand Central Sangria (had engagement pictures in Grand Central and The Met)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No open bar for us unfortunately!
  • edited December 2011
    We are having one with a limit then it will turn into cash bar. It has Premium alcohol. Jeff's cousin did open bar all night and spent $20,000 on alcohol. We didn't want to do that.
  • edited December 2011
    Open bar.  I don't think it would be acceptable in my parents' social circle to do a cash bar.

We're doing call brands.  Our venue's coordinator was really honest with us and said that she thought premium was generally a waste of money.

We have a cocktail hour with chilled white wine and mango mojitos being passed (the bar will be open then, but the idea is to keep there from being a huge crowd right away).  We might close the bar briefly during the dances people are performing to get people to settle in their seats.

I think to have open bar from 7 pm onwards for us is something like $40 a person for all over-21s (obviously).
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I'd do an open bar from a certain time. Like wine and signature cocktail only for a while then open bar all night. A cash bar is NOT acceptable to me. I would rather not have any liquor than have my guests have to pay for things at my wedding.
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our open bar was $15 / person - and all alcohol was provided by the venue.  Some venues allows you to bring in your alcohol but ours didn't. 

The charge was for guests older than 15.  However we did have a handful of few kids between 15 and 19 (legal age of drinking in canada) - these kids were charged full price of the bar even though they weren't drinking alcohol. 

So because we had a lot more people charged for open bar we negotiated with the venue to knock off a certain dollar amount (can't remember how much) b/c not the entire crowd would be drinking (kids between that age and older aunty's etc)...

I don't remember the cost of the bar, but from calculating the above...it was no more than 6k (CAD)
  • edited December 2011
    @Sonali- I have to agree with you on the whole cash bar thing. I'd rather not have alcohol than have guests pay. thats just my personal opinion.

@Mrs.BM- that is soooo cheap! 
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@True it is more expensive than bringing in your own alcohol!!!

(Bring your own and it could be less than a grand)

• edited December 2011
    We're deciding on either having an open bar or bringing our own alcohol.  I'm nervous about doing the latter because I'm afraid of running out of alcohol and then what will we do with the left overs.  With open bar though, we don't have to worry about that since the vendor stocks and takes it with them at the end of the night.  A large group of our guests are Indian and won't be drinking.  But then some of them will so it's hard to figure out the most economical option.
  • edited December 2011
    We went with a premium open bar for 5 hours and 4 signature drinks to tie into the theme. It really depends on the party, but I know my family and guests will enjoy drinks.

We are going to set up a deal with a local hotel to provide shuttle service between the hotel and venue so our guests will not be driving. Most hotels will provide this free if you book quite a few rooms.

Bringing your own will not work in many venues, please talk with your venue to clear up those details.
    Abhi
  • edited December 2011
    Now I feel bad about doing the cash bar... I'm not changing it though.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_open-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:19f96736-bcc3-4a72-b845-a5c8f62123a9Post:986d6211-0e21-4997-a32f-da930e7b5aaf">Re: Open Bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Now I feel bad about doing the cash bar... I'm not changing it though.
    Posted by DFWIndian[/QUOTE]

<div>@DFW-Girl, DO NOT FEEL BAD! Remember, the guests aren't paying for the open bar, you are. If people talk, let them. The wedding isn't all about open bars and alcohol! </div><div>
    </div><div>@Pandya- Can you tell us what your signature drinks are?</div>
  • ssarangissarangi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Priya - if you have the option of providing the alcohol, I would definitely suggest going that route because it will save you so much money!  We have the option of bringing our own alcohol and will definitely be doing that.  As far as running out and what will we do with the leftover alcohol, we are limiting the alcohol to the basics (i.e. premium vodka, gin, rum, tequila, whiskey, and scotch).  We are purposely going to buy extra and return all unopened bottles later. We are having 250 guests at our reception and estimated it will cost less than $2k for all the alcohol and mixers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    @Ssarangi - thanks for sharing!  How are you determining how many bottles of each to buy?  Are you going to ask around to see how much alcohol catering vendors usually bring?
  • edited December 2011
    We haven't decided on alcohol. We're doing a lunch reception, so I don't think people will be particularly troubled about not drinking. Plus, I won't be able to drink anyway because we're not doing the final ceremony until after the reception, thus I feel like no one else should be able, lol!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards