North Carolina

Hey all

I need some help. I'm totally wedding ignorant.

My MOH is going through a divorce, and I don't want to bring up too much with her (I would never want to make her feel like I'm not sympathetic to her situation, because my heart breaks for her)

My other two BMs are busy with family stuff, and my Mom is definitely not a wedding type person. This leaves me with... me to talk to.

So, tell me, what do I need to do? We have the venue, we have the officiant, we have an idea for food, along with the caterer we'd like, but we're on  a modest budget. Still, I don't want my wedding to look like it came out of a Party City/Oriental Trading catalog.

So hopefully you guys can help me. I'm getting married at 2 in the afternoon. I'm wondering about decorations. The place I'm getting married is very simple. Whitewashed walls, wooden floor, fans...

What would you do for decorations? I have no concept of themes, colors I'd prefer, etc.

Anyway, any advice you guys could give would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Re: Hey all

• edited December 2011
    do you want formal? informal?
    what kind of food are you serving?
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where's your wedding?  When?  How many people are you inviting?
  • Muffins!Muffins! member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Informal, ~75 people, serving heavy hors d'ourves, in Western NC in late summer
    edited December 2011

Is you wedding and reception going to be in the same space?  Or is it like a small chapel moving to a fellowship hall of some sort? An old house?  A barn? 

Give us somethin' to work with Wink

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Same place. Well, I may get married in front of the lake, but the reception venue is up the hill (maybe 30 feet) so pretty much the same place. If it's raining I'll just get married inside.

There's a big brick fireplace inside, with a huge locust wood cross and gigantic crystal clusters on either side of the mantle. I have a few pictures, let me see if I can find them...

First Comment
    edited December 2011
     and another photo

• edited December 2011
    definately need to add some color....so what kind of colors do you like?
    i would start with colors or theme? do you want a fall theme?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like earth tones, but I also like bright colors. I'm not a fan of pastels. I could go with a fall theme, but it's not a necessity. Whatever it is, I don't want it to look out of place in the chapel. I know it's simple. that's part of its charm, but also limits me. 
  • edited December 2011
    you could easily use earth tones brown, champange, ivory, sage and throw in a little red and orange to make it pop.

some simple colored overlays on the tables would make it look nice too.

i would google wedding inspiration boards and look at alot of those and see what kind of colors you like and how they are put together, that would give you some ideas and a place to start.
  • LBM7189LBM7189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could use brigt color linens on the tables to add something to liven up the room.  You can still be simple and stay on a budget with your centerpieces, using small bud vases or something similar and less expensive than over the top flower arrangements.  Branch type arrangements are really popular these days too.  I agree with PP- look for some inspiration boards with natural themes.  Maybe check out the it's a jaime thing blog....she has great ideas.  http://www.itsajaimething.com
    edited December 2011
    That's a really pretty space, I like it.

I would want to do something with the windows.  They're great, but the light is going to blast in photos (like it does in the second pic you posted).  Something to soften the light would be good, and would be an opportunity to add some color too.
  • edited December 2011
    You will get a LOT of helpful advice on this board. These girls helped me make my wedding beautiful, seriously. People still ask me, "Was it your idea to do xyz??" and I say yeah, but I got it off a message board. or "how did you find your vendor XYZ??" Again, "from the Knot msg board." My MOH was real helpful but I scoured the web a lot, got ideas here, and everything turned out great.
  • edited December 2011
    Look at peoples wedding bios, they are usually at the end of each post. Those helped a TON!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I'll check all that out. You guys make me feel less crazy :)
  • edited December 2011
    That room is beautiful! Are you getting married in the fall? I wanted a fall themed wedding oh so badly, but it made more sense for us to get married in the summer.  Yes please let us know what you need or what you are looking for, sometimes its just easier if you have help googling something or whatever it is. 

Happy planning! I'd go with chocolate chip, but thats just me.  Cool
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards