South Carolina

marriage license issues

I'm so irritated about this marriage license thing.

SC has a 24 hr waiting period and no proxies are allowed. That means you have to file Thursday afternoon to pick it up Friday afternoon. (And Friday afternoon is already inconvenient because of the rehearsal!!)

What do people having destination weddings do???? I'm going to be there all week but he wasn't planning to get in until Thursday night or Friday morning. This is such a headache!

:( major thumbs down, SC.

Anyone else have this problem?
Anniversary

Re: marriage license issues

• edited December 2011
    I'm a Myrtle Beach DW bride. I heard that you can fill out the application for the marriage license and send it in. You and FI will have to pick it up together, but it would eliminate him having to be there for the 24h waiting period.
    5/27/12
  • edited December 2011
    You might want to double check on that.... but maybe that's one of those by county things? She definitely said we had to apply together but only one of us needed to pick it up.

Thanks for the info!
    Anniversary
  • jennalynne2jennalynne2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes, that sucks. :-( Did you actually talk to them? I know when FI and I went in June, neither of us had our SSN cards, and she let us fax that in once we got back to Missouri. We also had FI's brother pick it up for us. Maybe if you explain what's going on they'll work with you?
    Anniversary
  • scsteph1983scsteph1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

in greenville county you apply together and they actually mailed it back to us...otherwise only one of us would have had to pick it up

• edited December 2011
    Oh yeah it may be by county..I am applying in Horry.
    5/27/12
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm.  We had a DW in Horry County.  We filled out the paperwork, made copies of our DL & SS cards, and mailed everything in advance.  We both then had to come in person to pick up the marriage license (We also had to show them our DL and SS cards again).  We sent in our paperwork in the middle of May for our early June wedding.  We did not encounter any issues.  I also called to double check that they received our paperwork.  The 24 hr wait period began the day our marriage license application was processed.  Good Luck!
  • mfordingmfording member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm anyone know about Lexington County?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards