Snarky Brides

LSAT help

I would've posted this on the Students board but it's hit and miss with actually getting responses and I never check there after I post.

To the ladies that have done the lsat, did you study? Did studying actually help? If you didn't study, do you think you would have done better if you 'prepared' for it? I'm thinking about writing it in October and I'm not really sure how to prepare. I know there's a few women on here or somewhere on these boards who have written it and are in law school.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: LSAT help

• I studied like the devil.  I took a prep course as well.  It depends on what schools you think you are applying to and how you do on practice exams.  I may be in the minority but I never take any standardized test without prep work....that seems like a waste of time and money (it isn't cheap to take the LSAT and all scores are reported). 
  • I'm not sure what you mean by writing it? 
  • AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:56a0b7ad-e864-4c29-b1b7-264887de4b8f">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure what you mean by writing it? 
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

<div>Usually just means the same thing as taking it, which I'm assuming is what she meant. Unless I'm missing what you're meaning by asking what she means by writing it?</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>=D</div>
  • First- do you know what the LSAT actually involves? I'm only asking because you said you are thinking about "writing it" in October. The writing section on the LSAT is extremely short and isn't graded. What they really look at are the reading comp, logic problems and analytical thinking sections. 

And yes, I "studied" for it. You can't really study because it's not really a subject matter test, but I took a lot of practice tests, and I would definitely recommend that. The hardest part about the test is the time issues- if you had longer, everyone would get a perfect score. So if you take a lot of old tests (there are a ton available in bookstores and via LSAC (I think that's the correct name??)) you'll get a feel for what a specific question is asking of you. 

A TON of ppl take courses for the LSAT, but I don't really think they are as vital as some other people do. I used a study guide book to explain how the test works and then took a ton of practice tests and did just fine. 

For what its worth, I've finished law school and graduate in a week or so. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was confused by the "writing it" comment.

Approve- are you still in school or are you an attorney now?
  • Yeah, I was definitely thinking about doing prep work. I might be able to take the prep class since it's actually offered at my school this year. Usually it isn't but I just looked it up, they have one week for us!

I'm still unsure if I'm going to do it, law school would be my third option. I just seriously don't want to do put all my eggs in one basket so I'm considering it so I have options.
  • By "writing it" I meant taking it. Sorry for the confusion and yes, I do know what the LSAT involves. I've been reading up on it for about 3 years now. I've just heard a lot of people say "studying" didn't help and know of people who didn't study who managed to do well.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:f931350c-cffa-45a5-8b1d-6f5101fab9f6">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was confused by the "writing it" comment. Approve- are you still in school or are you an attorney now?
    Posted by tortis[/QUOTE]

I was confused as well by the writing phrase.  I was like the written part is pretty unimportant.....unless you lack any writing ability.

I took a study course cause I needed above a 171 for specific scholarships.  I highly recommend practice exams....can you imagine not having the timing down?

I'm in the midst of finals right now completing my first year.  I had a long ass scary Property final today.  My brain is dribbled on the floor somewhere.  Congrats on finishing up! 
  • AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Have you guys really not heard it phrased that way? I've always said "I'm writing a test tomorrow" etc., regardless of whether it was an essay section or whatnot. Maybe it's another weird Canadian thing.

ETA: Brandon has informed me that it's a British thing you apparently don't hear too often here because most people say taking. Weeeeird. All of this little differences just blow my mind.
  • I most definitely recommend putting in some time with a few Kaplan books if for nothing else than to take multiple practice tests. I probably took about 10 full length practices before I took the real thing, which I found really helpful. I also didn't take any review courses because, personally, I think they're over-priced and you can get the same benefit if you're willing to put the time in yourself. However, if you know your study habits well enough to realize you won't be self-disciplined about it, I know a lot of people who found the courses really advantageous. 

Side note: you'll hear a lot of opinions on if this is a good time to be enrolling in law school and whether it's "worth it." I will say that you should think about the financial costs and your reasons for applying in depth before you go because the market is not as good as it once was and the law school experience is pretty intense. But if you really want it, law school, and more so the legal practice, can be really great. 

Good luck!!!

• Your school offers a prep class? As in for credit? That's interesting, I don't think my undergrad did that. That's kind of cool. When I said that a lot of people take a class, I meant via Kaplan or Princeton review (aka paid classes). 

Please don't go into law school on a whim. Just speaking from experience here. I ignored a lot of people who said that, and law school actually was my first choice out of undergrad. I cannot name a single aspect of my life that law school hasn't had an impact on, from finances, to my relationship w/ H, to my general mental sanity. While having a JD is an amazing accomplishment, you end up giving up a lot for it. Also take my comments w/ a grain of salt because my circumstances are a bit different from a lot of my classmates- I get to take the bar twice in 6 months!

If I were you, seeing as how this isn't necessarily your first choice, I'd get one of the guide books they sell (Kaplan or Princeton review) and then take a few practice tests (timed!) and see how you do. 
  • I agree with Dawn.  I wouldn't go to law school without a somewhat clear intention of what area of law you want to go into.  The jobs simply aren't out there like they used to be and its taking some creative maneuvering and branching out into less "glamorous" areas of the law.  I love what I've decided on but its pretty selective.  You couldn't pay me to attend law school right now without a clear plan and career path...the costs are insane.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:f5c377e4-be6e-4a44-93b7-407fb329922a">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : I had a long ass scary Property final today.  My brain is dribbled on the floor somewhere.  

<div>
    </div><div>Property is the DEVIL. The only thing worse than prop for me was tax. The only time in my life that I have actually cried after an exam was for Income Tax. I barely made it to my car. Ugh! </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:1a98e0b0-1347-4084-bde9-7e102db5361b">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you guys really not heard it phrased that way? I've always said "I'm writing a test tomorrow" etc., regardless of whether it was an essay section or whatnot. Maybe it's another weird Canadian thing. ETA: Brandon has informed me that it's a British thing you apparently don't hear too often here because most people say taking. Weeeeird. All of this little differences just blow my mind.
    Posted by Anysunrise[/QUOTE]

I guess that makes it a Canadian thing since we're technically British? Hah. I've always said "writing my exam" too. Taking a test reminds me of removing it.

I definitely agree that this differences are mind blowing. I was confused as to why everyone was confused by my wording.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:7aec9e65-97c0-40b3-9a7d-90c3bf132a92">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : I guess that makes it a Canadian thing since we're technically British? Hah. I've always said "writing my exam" too. Taking a test reminds me of removing it. I definitely agree that this differences are mind blowing. I was confused as to why everyone was confused by my wording.
    Posted by avsfan33[/QUOTE]

<div>Hah, pretty much. And yeah, hence my disclaimer about not being sure what she meant either, lol. I'm just glad I don't have to find all this stuff out all at once, otherwise I might lock myself in a padded room and bounce around for a bit.</div>
  • Emmit, the best dog ever, is actually laying on one of my books in my sig. He held it hostage until we went on a satisfactory walk.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:59613509-531b-4db6-b091-1a864a75a358">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : Property is the DEVIL. The only thing worse than prop for me was tax. The only time in my life that I have actually cried after an exam was for Income Tax. I barely made it to my car. Ugh! 
    Posted by tortis[/QUOTE]

My area of focus is Intellectual Property which I adore....but general Property was awful.  Rule Against Perpetuities....who the HELL ever uses that?? I'm not going to be an estate lawyer.  I do have to say Civ Pro was significantly worse for me than Property mainly because the teacher was satan.  DId you have to take a class on tax law?  We don't and I'm staying far far far away. 

I have an MBA in Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Business so my legal focus is health law and intellectual property specifically patents in the healthcare industry.  I cried after my capital investment class in my MBA program....I seriously felt like I'd been beaten up.
  • My three dogs lay all over my books and the puppy has attempted to teeth on the heavy duty case books.  Destructive little bugger.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:7aec9e65-97c0-40b3-9a7d-90c3bf132a92">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : I guess that makes it a Canadian thing since we're technically British? Hah. I've always said "writing my exam" too. Taking a test reminds me of removing it. I definitely agree that this differences are mind blowing. I was confused as to why everyone was confused by my wording.

<div>Yeah, I've never heard of that before. Most of my law exams have been essays and we still say that we are "taking' an exam. The only other thing I've heard is "sitting for the bar" but thats because it's a 3 day test. </div><div>
    </div><div>I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what the LSAT was, sorry! I was just trying to make sure you knew there wasn't a lot of writing involved!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:3f0c20bb-08e3-4baf-95cf-6d94787ea5f5">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Dawn.  I wouldn't go to law school without a somewhat clear intention of what area of law you want to go into.  The jobs simply aren't out there like they used to be and its taking some creative maneuvering and branching out into less "glamorous" areas of the law.  I love what I've decided on but its pretty selective.  You couldn't pay me to attend law school right now without a clear plan and career path...the costs are insane.

This and what Dawn said is why it's actually my third option. I want to go into criminal law if I decide on law school but I definitely get the market isn't that great. I still have a year before I have to make a final decision. It's definitely not something I'm taking lightly, I've been weighing the pros and cons of each choice. I was mostly just curious on people's thoughts on the test. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:88a4cc54-be19-440a-91dc-0d99d5515fda">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : This and what Dawn said is why it's actually my third option. I want to go into criminal law if I decide on law school but I definitely get the market isn't that great. I still have a year before I have to make a final decision. It's definitely not something I'm taking lightly, I've been weighing the pros and cons of each choice. I was mostly just curious on people's thoughts on the test. 

Criminal law is interesting.  I have that final a week from tomorrow.  That, however, is an area at my law school that is completely full all the time.  So many people want to be DAs, ADAs and defense lawyers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:e66346e2-70a0-41f0-8e1d-e2592ff55b6a">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : Yeah, I've never heard of that before. Most of my law exams have been essays and we still say that we are "taking' an exam. The only other thing I've heard is "sitting for the bar" but thats because it's a 3 day test.  I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what the LSAT was, sorry! I was just trying to make sure you knew there wasn't a lot of writing involved!
    Posted by tortis[/QUOTE]

No problem! Totally understandable. I probably would've been confused if it was the other way around. I've heard a few people say "taking" instead of writing but it's really rare. These differences can get confusing lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:fcbf7801-bd20-4638-bdc1-98e222416852">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : My area of focus is Intellectual Property which I adore....but general Property was awful.  Rule Against Perpetuities....who the HELL ever uses that?? I'm not going to be an estate lawyer.  I do have to say Civ Pro was significantly worse for me than Property mainly because the teacher was satan.  DId you have to take a class on tax law?  We don't and I'm staying far far far away.  I have an MBA in Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Business so my legal focus is health law and intellectual property specifically patents in the healthcare industry.  I cried after my capital investment class in my MBA program....I seriously felt like I'd been beaten up.

<div>
    </div><div>I've taken a lot of IP classes and am extremely happy to say that they are NOTHING like property property. For awhile I was interested in copyright law, so I was taking the IP classes. </div><div>
    </div><div>Patent law will get you VERY far. Good pick girl!</div><div>
    </div><div>In my dreams I'd be working in animal rights or environmental law, but there isn't a huge demand for it. We're moving to Cali from Ohio (well.. H already lives there and I'm following after the Ohio bar, then taking the Cali bar) and I'm dragging my feet on job hunting just because I won't actually be in the state until August. A fam friend said they would hire me to clerk for a few months before I start cracking down on the Cali bar (which will kick my azz), but I won't even sit for the Cali bar until Feb, so again, I'm dragging my job-searching feet.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lsat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6ad21254-85d0-4a3b-b3b3-855d6120c7eaPost:97c43219-8bbc-4991-8b38-09b949c1b583">Re: LSAT help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LSAT help : Criminal law is interesting.  I have that final a week from tomorrow.  That, however, is an area at my law school that is completely full all the time.  So many people want to be DAs, ADAs and defense lawyers.

I've actually thought about becoming a prosecutor. I don't know if the States are the same but here they're called Crown Attorneys (I seriously need sleep soon, it took me forever to spell attorneys :S). Apparently they don't make a lot of money, at least in Canada anyway. I don't know how factual that is, I just remember reading it was significantly lower than defense lawyer a few years ago.
  • I actually think getting a job crim law wise depends on what side you want to work on. I love crim law and  if I knew I could stomach it, that would have 100% have been my career path, but I'm a big baby and would have a really hard time separating things. I have nothing but respect for people who work in the field, but its just not for me. 

Approve- Emmit is our older pup, about a year and a half. Our little girl, Ella, is 5 months and she LOVES to chew on my books. My friends laugh at me in class because the corners of my books are like teething toys.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. It's definitely helped. I'm still not sure if I'm going to "take" the LSAT but I'll definitely keep your opinions in mind. Everyone else just keeps telling me to take it because they think "I'm smart and should. it won't hurt". At least here, nobody has any bias. 

The whole take vs writing thing reminds me of a conversation I had with FI about whether or not it's "backpack or packsack". Apparently only people in Northern Ontario say packsack.
  • I teach LSAT prep courses and honestly wouldn't take the class. They basically force you to study because you just sank all this money into them, but you can do well using a book to study. I also recommend using the free practice tests that Kaplan and other test prep companies off (they're released LSATs). If there's a Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Chapter at your school (if you're still in school or near a university), they might also offer free LSAT practice tests.

The LSAT is really testing you on your ability to read and think critically and logically. If you've ever taken a formal logic course or even a computer science course it'll help you because much of the logic reasoning and logic game sections are predicated on formal logic and what can or cannot be true given something. The prep courses companies offer really just teach you some formal logic and how to approach the questions since there isn't any material to learn. It's more about how to think about the questions, what the questions look like, and how to attack them. Writing notes in the side about the main points of each paragraph in the passages for the reading comprehension helps too.

If you have specific questions about anything on preparing for the LSAT feel free to email me and I'll try to answer them.
  • Thanks :) That's really helpful and I'll keep you in mind if I decide to take it.
  • Hi tortis, lets first open up an animal rights firm and then a dog shelter together. Ok sound good? ;)

I agree with PPs that I wouldn't take the LSAT unless you were sure it was the avenue you want to take. I HATED the LSAT. I took a lot of practice tests. I didn't hate it as much as I have hated a few of my final exams, but still despised it a lot.

(I write this as I sit in my CivPro II exam review, heh.)
  • It really depends on how you well you do on standardize tests.  I have always walked in and scored very high.  I did buy a practice book and took a practice test but that was it and I scored well enough to be offered scholarships and attend a Top 20 school.  I am a practicing attorney so I would give you the same advice that probably 80% of practicing attorneys (under 40yrs old) would give you.  1. Don't go to law school.  2. Go to law school if you don't have to pay for it- ie. scholarships, family trust or independently wealthy.  You will accrue $150,000-$200,000 worth of debt for a job that will pay you $35,000-$55,000 (criminal law starting salaries in US) IF you can find a job.  Prosecutors offices are cutting back, (states have no money right now) and most defense attorneys are scraping buy or don't have enough to pay someone with no experience.  The US gov't receives thousands of applications for every job posting.  People who don't go to law school think there is prestige and glamour and lots of money, only on TV and only if you went to a Top Ten school and made law review.   I cannot afford to buy a house or have children because my fiance and I each have to work 50+ hours every week to pay back our loans and we are lucky to have jobs.  If there is anything else you want to do- do it.  If you work for a few years and still think about law school then save up some money/go to school part time/ whatever- do not sign up for a mortgage for a house you can't live in on a whim.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards