Snarky Brides

My sister has apparently lost her mind...

My sister (a BM) went to go order her BM dress this morning (at the very last minute). I told the BM's repeatedly that they could pick whichever dress they wanted as long as it fit 2 criteria. 1) Chosen color  2) Short

I get a text from her leaving the store. She says she got her dress. I respond and say fantastic, which one did you get. She responds and says.

I got the cotton one with pockets. But I didn't like it in Clover so I got it in Kelly.

Has she lost her mind? She ordered the dress in a completely different color than my wedding. They're both shades of green but they're NOT THE SAME F'ING COLOR!

I'm honestly at a loss for words....

Re: My sister has apparently lost her mind...

• Has everyone ordered their dresses yet? IDK how many BMs you have, but you could have another girl or two order in the kelly?

That sounds pretty ridiculous, but probably chalk it up to the fact that a lot of people don't understand/care as much as we do.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Hi Chrissy. Thanks for your input. Yes, everyone else has ordered. I have 3 altogether and the other 2 ordered weeks ago.
  • Is she just a bridesmaid or is she the maid of honor?

Lots of people don't have matchy bridesmaids you know. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sister-apparently-lost-her-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b8155f8-03fa-4486-84f8-ee0fa8624050Post:8899a660-8eee-472d-a9c2-31008e34149d">Re: My sister has apparently lost her mind...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Chrissy. Thanks for your input. Yes, everyone else has ordered. I have 3 altogether and the other 2 ordered weeks ago.
    Posted by CoriG1980[/QUOTE]

Balls.

Well, just have her stand in between the other girls at all points of the night. Do NOT let the other girls stand next to eachother, or it will be disaster. (JK) :)

It will probably look fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much. But when she gets married and you're in her wedding, you should order a something really flashy and ridiculous and say you didn't like the color she picked out.

ETA: Sorry, not trying to belittle you. Just hoping to lighten the situation for you. It will really be okay and regardless, I'm sure everything will look great. Hardly anyone will be looking at her anyway.

Planning Bio

• Hey Salt. Thanks for the input. She's a BM. My MOH is my best friend.

At first I tried to reason it that way that lots of people didn't have matchy matchy ones. But I think it continues to piss me off for multiple reasons. The first being that the shades of green aren't what I'd call 'complimentary' to each other. It's one thing to mix colors that you've mulled over and decided blend well together. The second being that I didn't want multiple colors of dresses in my wedding... if I did, I would have chosen them that way. Don't get me wrong, I love the look in other peoples weddings. When it's done correctly it looks really nice. And third it just pisses me off that she thinks it's her decision to make.

I hope I'm not coming across as a Bridezilla, which is why I came here to post before answering her text.
  • Lol Chrissy. Thanks!

I think if she ever gets re-married I'll wear a can-can dress and a pumpkin on my head. Sigh.
  • Well if you have three, then just have her stand in the middle. Problem solved. 
    It's really going to be ok. In fact, it might even look kind of pretty.
  • Salt - good idea. I think Chrissy suggested that too.

Thanks for the reassurances ladies. :)
  • Did you get the message today?  I don't have a sister, but I think I'd find it easier to tell my sister to march her ass back into the store and change her order before they send it out than telling a friend.

murrayed
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sister-apparently-lost-her-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b8155f8-03fa-4486-84f8-ee0fa8624050Post:7f1ba813-41fd-4473-8d0a-8f1ad9ff860b">Re: My sister has apparently lost her mind...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I'd find it easier to tell my sister to march her ass back into the store and change her order before they send it out than telling a friend.
    Posted by nhelene[/QUOTE]

<div>You're scary.</div>
  • [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My sister has apparently lost her mind... : You're scary.
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

It's probably a good thing I don't have a sister.
    murrayed
  • I'm with nhelene...  i'd have NO problem telling her to get her ass back to the store and change it.  even if she had to buy TWO dresses.  and NO you do not sound like a bridezilla.  you let them pick any dress and only chose the color, that's very, very flexible.  your sister sounds completely passive aggressive and is basically telling you, without telling you, that she has no respect for you or your wedding. sorry to be harsh, but seriously - she doesn't get that it is your day and she needs to do things your way. SO GLAD i have no sisters... and only an MOH...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sister-apparently-lost-her-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b8155f8-03fa-4486-84f8-ee0fa8624050Post:1f77d57e-c676-4ce7-b18b-ae288bdeef8d">Re: My sister has apparently lost her mind...</a>:
    [QUOTE]she doesn't get that it is your day and she needs to do things your way.
    Posted by ajstrickler[/QUOTE]

<div>Just because it's "your day" doesn't mean that you rule the universe. It's a wedding, not a dictatorship. </div>
  • Now, this is snarky brides and I tend to be pretty sarcastic anyway.  Take any advice given to you by an internet stranger with a grain of salt.

I think the wedding will be perfectly fine with one girl in a different color.  Maybe you can find a few decor elements in 'kelly' and scatter them about for cohesion.

But I don't think you'd be out of line in at least expressing your disappointment with your bridesmaids' choice and seeing if it's possible to change the order.  But you know your sister better than I do and you know if this a battle worth fighting.

murrayed
  • Sorry, but when you agree to be in someone's wedding, you do agree to do certain things "their way".  I defnitely wasn't trying to say you get to be a "dictator", but asking someone to wear a specific color of dress isn't asking a to rule the world. It's asking for them to respect your dress color choice. Wow.  I'll stay off this board.  I thought it was snarky not mean.

• I'd say call the store and have them change the color to the one you want without even telling your sister.  Seriously!  Then when it comes in, just say it was a mistake, oh well. 

I'm really not joking, she's kind of jerk for not following your instructions.
  • I agree with noodle or the girls who said to tell her to go back and change it asap.  I don't think it makes you bridezilla to want your wedding party to be in a certain color.
  • Meh...I guess I'm just more laid back about things. It's a farking dress and it's not like it's hot pink. People take wedding planning entirely too seriously.
  • I also say make her go and change it, when she agreed to be in it she agreed to get a dress that met your specifications and show up, she has just violated her first agreement.  Colors can clash and this was totally disrespectful.  Make her change it.  
  • Call the store and change the color yourself.
  • I think you should cut off all of her hair while she's sleeping.
  • I agree with salt. I've seen both kelly and clover in person and they aren't too far from eachother in the first place. I think they will look nice together. It's not my wedding, but if I were OP I'd just go with the flow (which is looks like she may do).

I also agree with cew's last comment. And I think you should spit in her shoes.

Planning Bio

• Have you talked to her about it?  What was your reaction when she said that?  Is there ANY way that she is just messing with you?

I'd at least let her know that you think it was kind of harsh to do that.  Because you do.  What's wrong with telling her the truth?
  • Didn't the shop know what dresses the BMs were ordering? Call the shop, changing the color should not be a big deal if it just happened today, they probably haven't put the order through yet.
  • Hello ladies. Thanks to everyone for your input.

I called her today after work and we discussed it, then I called the store and had them change the color. She said she didn't 'even think' about the colors possibly clashing. I told her that if she wanted to wear another color dress then I would be willing to consider it if it were something that we decided on together. She ended up deciding to just go with the clover. And I offered to pay for it since she hated it so much.

No harm, no foul. Thanks for letting me vent!
  • @cew - hilarious!

I may just poison her slice of cake at the reception. Muhahahahah!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sister-apparently-lost-her-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b8155f8-03fa-4486-84f8-ee0fa8624050Post:cd0a1490-4e3b-4118-9b63-cdcf4c306cf7">Re: My sister has apparently lost her mind...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies. Thanks to everyone for your input. I called her today after work and we discussed it, then I called the store and had them change the color. She said she didn't 'even think' about the colors possibly clashing. I told her that if she wanted to wear another color dress then I would be willing to consider it if it were something that we decided on together. She ended up deciding to just go with the clover. And I offered to pay for it since she hated it so much. No harm, no foul. Thanks for letting me vent!
    Posted by CoriG1980[/QUOTE]

Yey! I'm glad it all worked out. :D

Planning Bio

• I think you did the right thing and i'm glad it's sorted for you :)

Im sure with all the excitement of the day she won't even notice the shade of green :)

xxx
  • Im shocked that most people seem to think this is ok. I guess Im bridezilla because I wouldnt find this acceptable. Its my wedding and Im going to pick the color, and I would make her call and change it. I would be super pissed. I have been in multiple weddings and I do whatever the brides want regardless if i like it or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards