Wedding Reception Forum

Per person open bar vs consumption bar

We are having about 40-50 guests at our wedding next summer. I figure, out of the 50 possible people coming, 20 are light drinkers, 20 are heavy drinkers, and 10 do not drink at all.

Cocktail hour will start at 5:30pm.  Guests will be seated for dinner at 6:30pm and the bar/party will wrap up at 11:00pm.  The open bar cost is $45 per head. This is for 4 hours of open bar, for red/white wine, wine will be selected by their wine steward for pairing with our dinner selection. Their bottles of wine start at $20. The beer is limited to 2 domestic options and liquor is open to all well pours. For one, I don't even know what a 'well pours' is, being I don't drink myself. And over the holidays, my family has definitely more than 2 kinds of beer at every occasion. 

We are obviously trying to save money like most people... do you think we'll end up saving money if we do a bar based on consumption, or one paying by the head, at $2250.

What is the best choice?

Re: Per person open bar vs consumption bar

• What is the consumption costs for beer and liquor?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would assume 'well pours' are referring to mixed drinks that use generic brand alcohols instead of 'top shelf' (expensive) brands. 

$45 per person just for open bar!??? that sounds insane to me.  I think we paid $18 per person....  but maybe that's the difference between Boston and Buffalo. =P

• Yikes I'm just outside of Boston and the open bar for top shelf is $32 and also includes table side wine service with dinner.  We added a flaming coffee drink bar and it's still only up to $36.  Where are you getting married?

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sorry ladies! I'm not sure how much the other drinks are, as in liqour and beer... I emailed the vendor and waiting to hear back. I did go to their website and it says that cocktails are between 6-13 dollars. 

My wedding is going to be in Martha's Vineyard. The food prices here are average to what other places I've inquired, and definitely below average for rental fee. This bar is ending up being an expensive portion!
  • You definitely have to find out the consumption prices before you can figure out which is cheaper.  Boston area is super expensive- it's crazy.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks! I will definitely do that and post back for everyones help! Definitely expensive-- I'm lucky my wedding will be under 50 people!
  • $14 a person!  Wow!  I don't have much to add that PP haven't covered, but count me as another Boston bride who can't believe how cheap that is.  $45 dosen't surprise me at all for Martha's Vineyard.  Out in the suburbs where my wedding is $35-40 is more standard.  OP, I ended up at a venue that only does consumption so I didn't have to make this choice, but the way your breakdown of drinkers/nondrinkers looks I bet you'll find that consumption is a better deal.  The only issue is the risk involved; what if somebody decides to go all out?  What if drinks are spilled or cleared too early?  You need a little cushion in your budget with consumption bar.
  • I'm getting married 30 minutes north of Boston and it is going to be $15/person per hour for open bar. There are no particular wine/beer restrictions. I believe top shelf is included in this, but I may be wrong about that.

• Do consumption and put a cap on how much you want to spend. If you are getting close to that mark, the caterer usually lets you know before and you can add more money or turn it into a cash bar.
  • Can you save money by limiting the types of alcohol available to a beer, white wine, and red wine option? They may be accounting for guests who order more expensive drinks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards