Attire & Accessories Forum

What Did You Do With Your Dress and Did You Ever Put It On Again?

I'm curious what became of your wedding dress after your wedding, and did you ever put it on again, even just to see if it still fit.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What Did You Do With Your Dress and Did You Ever Put It On Again?

• My aunt is a dry cleaner and preserved it for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I plan on selling mine. I know I'll never wear it again and would rather have the cash than have it taking up space in a closet. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I plan on donating mine to a good cause after the wedding. Maybe Brides Against Breast Cancer. But I might change my mind - I haven't gotten hitched just yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine is hanging in our bedroom closet. Once I put it on when H wasn't home and sat around in it for 20 minutes. I'm doing a TTD shoot in January, except I'm not going to actually trash it. 

After that, I'm not sure.
    Anniversary
  • Mine is a simple mermaid style so I'm having it shortened to a knee length dress to wear for our anniversary. My H has promised to do a great job on the corset back. :)
  • I like to kid with myself thinking I will do the whole Monica Geller thing from "Friends" where she cleans house in Emily's dress until Phoebe gets there. I could imagine myself folding clothes in my Wedding dress then someone knocks on the door.

I plan on preserving it with tax money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    68image Invited to Our Winter Wonderland-Dooms Day Wedding
    29image Made it to the party!
    39 image Were Snowed in due to weather.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers http://theworldlink.com/promises/doomsday-love/article_79f1a6dc-6680-11e2-9090-001a4bcf887a.html ***ALL IN ALL WE ARE MARRIED YAY!***
  • Well, I am very much emotionally attached with my wedding gown so I am not gonna sell it. But my sister-in-law recently sold off her wedding gown. Her gown was really expensive and she sold it for almost half price to some needy bride. 
  • I bought a very "nontraditonal" dress with the express purpose of being able to wear it again. I attend various renaissance faires in my state, and it is perfect to wear again and again. 
  • I love all of the these ideas. I would love to cut it up and make various keepsakes out of it - a Christmas tree skirt, and christening gown, etc. , but I don't think I could bring myself to cut it up. Lol.

I also LOVE the idea of shortening it so you can wear it on anniversaries... again... I don't think I could bring myself to do it...

I might frame it.

Dream:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/152770612330246559/

Realisitic:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/75153887502165879/
    http://pinterest.com/pin/255016397620655197/
  • edited November 2012

DH's dad hosted a second reception for us on the other side of the country and I wore it then.  Because it is a very simple chiffon dress with minimal pearl detailing, I plan on wearing it during a captain's dinner on a cruise (maybe next year) with chunky jewelry.  After that, it is going to be cut down to knee length.

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_what-did-you-do-with-your-dress-and-did-you-ever-put-it-on-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:02c6cac1-e660-402e-bb47-1a66c481da30Post:fcdc5cfb-a53b-404d-af79-2058f0ed1139">Re: What Did You Do With Your Dress and Did You Ever Put It On Again?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like to kid with myself thinking I will do the whole Monica Geller thing from "Friends" where she cleans house in Emily's dress until Phoebe gets there. I could imagine myself folding clothes in my Wedding dress then someone knocks on the door. I plan on preserving it with tax money.
    Posted by Winterstarlips25[/QUOTE]

<div>This cracked me up! I'd forgotten about that episode up until now. </div><div>
    </div><div>Liatris - I also love the christmas ornament idea. That's really neat. </div><div>
    </div><div>I had a strange experience with my wedding dress after the wedding that I wasn't expecting at all. One Saturday couple weeks after our honeymoon, my plan was to it take to the dry cleaners to have it preserved. As I was picking up the dress off the bed where it was laying, I got really sad for some reason. I was all weepy with tears. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of the dress just yet and I didn't realize it till that exact moment. The strange thing was, I knew I wasn't getting rid of it. I was preserving it and it would still be mine. I went to H all sad faced and said I wasn't ready to get rid of it. He didn't quite understand but said it was okay. The next week I took some photos of all the details of the dress, the beading, the rouching, the neckline. Then I was content and was able to take it to the cleaners. It's all boxed up now, preserved, and sitting our our storage space. </div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I plan to get it preserved and boxed eventually (keep on putting off actually sending out, though- not having a car makes it really hard to move the dress around!)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_what-did-you-do-with-your-dress-and-did-you-ever-put-it-on-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:02c6cac1-e660-402e-bb47-1a66c481da30Post:fcdc5cfb-a53b-404d-af79-2058f0ed1139">Re: What Did You Do With Your Dress and Did You Ever Put It On Again?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like to kid with myself thinking I will do the whole Monica Geller thing from "Friends" where she cleans house in Emily's dress until Phoebe gets there. I could imagine myself folding clothes in my Wedding dress then someone knocks on the door. I plan on preserving it with tax money.
    Posted by Winterstarlips25[/QUOTE]

LOL; that was my plan too, haha. 

Anniversary
  • For almost a year it hung uncleaned in my closet. I finally got it cleaned and preserved. It is now sitting in our office floor with some random items on top of it (still working on organizing our office!). I never put it back on and even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to fit into after the newlywed 20 I ended up catching LOL!

• I haven't gotten to use my dress yet but love the idea of framing it... hahaha!

My friend got married 8 years ago and has 2 daughters. He oldest just turned 5 so she brought out her old wedding dress and her friend, (who's a professional photographer), took pictures of her 5 y/o in the wedding dress. SO CUTE! She plans on doing the same thing with her other daughter when she turns 5!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally had plans to sell mine, but I got really attached and sentimental about it. Surprised me a lot. So this week the preservation company is shipping it back to me. Very excited to see it in the display box!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards