Snarky Brides

Butter Fingers (gross foot PIPs)

Are apparently what I have.  Yeah, I totally dropped a 45lb weight from above knee height straight onto my foot.  Ouchie.  That's what I get for working out??

Anywho, here's what it looked like just after I did it.

Juuuust a bit swollen.

Derek took me to Urgent Care and they did a bunch of x-rays and apparently nothing us broken, so I'm just to use RICE for now and take Advil as needed. 

It looks a lot better today, and I can sorta hobble around as long as I'm not on my feet for too long.

Today:

Still swollen, but not nearly as much.  Oddly, my shoes fit more poorly today then they did last night.  Odd.

So, who's had a "soft tissue" injury like this before?  How long for healing?  JUST when I was actually sorta maybe getting into running too....
We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Butter Fingers (gross foot PIPs)

• Gnarley!!

It looks like the plate didn't fall on the direct center of your instep, it fell more to the right. You're lucky, if it had falled directly in the center of your instep, it might have made you have a white-out.

They actually teach that in our self-defense classes, for situations where we get grabbed by an attacker from behind. Lift your leg up to chest level, then kick as hard as you can with your heel onto their instep.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • I'm so glad it isn't broken, raynes.  ouch.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Christ on a cracker, that looks horrible. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_butter-fingers-gross-foot-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9caa30da-cdf2-47a3-b61e-dffe4c229d53Post:ab6bec54-9e6a-474a-9578-44fc09ed2d99">Re: Butter Fingers (gross foot PIPs)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gnarley!! It looks like the plate didn't fall on the direct center of your instep, it fell more to the right. You're lucky, if it had falled directly in the center of your instep, it might have made you have a white-out. They actually teach that in our self-defense classes, for situations where we get grabbed by an attacker from behind. Lift your leg up to chest level, then kick as hard as you can with your heel onto their instep.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

Just SING!  Solar plexus, instep, nose, groin.  Thank you Miss Congeniality!

I was wearing my heart rate monitor still and by the time I got up the stairs my HR had dropped below 60 BPM (from the 130 it was at when it happened).   I made Derek get my some juice, ASAP.
  • I had a soft tissue injury like that once, on my ankle. I suggest looking in to some massage or Active Release Therapy (my chiro does it) after the swelling goes down, to get rid of some of the scar tissue that will build up on all those little tendons and ligaments in your foot. Otherwise you may have issues running for a longer time than you think.

I'm glad nothing is broken, though!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Yowza! How many swear words did you use when that happened? Cause I'm pretty sure every word out of my mouth would have been 'fuuuuuuuck!'
  • Mara you crack me up.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • mara, thinking about it, I think I uttered a few motherfuukers.
  • Owwwwwwww! Glad you're not hurt  any worse, Raynes. Looks like it's swelling out to the sides today, which is probably why shoes don't fit well now.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_butter-fingers-gross-foot-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9caa30da-cdf2-47a3-b61e-dffe4c229d53Post:728a6994-0b49-4b60-a7bc-77b5a7f616f1">Re: Butter Fingers (gross foot PIPs)</a>:
    [QUOTE]mara, thinking about it, I think I uttered a few motherfuukers.
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]
    When I saw the first picture, I said "Holy fuuck!" and I'm not even the one who is hurt. :) In my mind pain and swearing go hand in hand.
  • Holy Crap! Oh Raynes, so sorry hope it feels/looks (ew) better soon.
  • HOLY MOLY! That looks so painful. Thank goodness it isn't broken! I hope it feels better soon.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
  • First - Owie, owie, owie, owie!

Second- Mythbusters did and experiment where they "proved" that swearing does increase your pain threshhold.  They had their subjects stick their hands in ice water with no speaking, speaking random non swear words, and swear words.  There was something like a 50% increase in the amount of time they could handle the pain when they used the swear words vs. either regular words or no words.  So, ladies, when you drop weights on your feet, swear like a sailor, science says it helps.

• Oh my god.  Oh my god.  Oh my god.  That's awful.  Holy jesus. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_butter-fingers-gross-foot-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9caa30da-cdf2-47a3-b61e-dffe4c229d53Post:ee3cbb87-df90-4609-b0e5-7e9c16b8faf1">Re: Butter Fingers (gross foot PIPs)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Second- Mythbusters did and experiment where they "proved" that swearing does increase your pain threshhold.  They had their subjects stick their hands in ice water with no speaking, speaking random non swear words, and swear words.  There was something like a 50% increase in the amount of time they could handle the pain when they used the swear words vs. either regular words or no words.  So, ladies, when you drop weights on your feet, swear like a sailor, science says it helps.
    Posted by Bkseller13[/QUOTE]

I guess that is what gets women through childbirth too!

Raynes- On a side note...at least your toes still look cute ;)
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
  • Hey J - Nine days.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Bk, that's awesome.  More swearing!!  I love Mythbusters.

Denise, thanks! 

numbers, if you check this, the nailpolish is Elizabeth Arden Notting Hill Rosebud C.  I've got no idea where I got it.
  • Wow! That must have hurt like a beyotch!
    Anniversary
  • Oh ouch Raynes! Glad you are not having any broken bones! That looks like one of the most painful things ever. reminds me of the time I dropped a recliner on my bare toe.
  • Ouch! It could take a while for all the swelling to go down (a week or more) but it should feel better in a few days for walking. It will, however, turn all sorts of pretty colors before it gets better. Just keep with the ice. Hope you feel better!!
  • I'm glad you didn't break anything!  It looks like your foot is broken in half!!  I think I would have cried and/or passed out. 

And I agree, your toes do look cute.  :)
  • Holy crap.  That looks painful!

To add- when i first looked at the title of this post i thought it said "Gross food"  I thought you were going to kill my love of Butterfingers!
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Oh man.... on the positive side, it looks WAY better today than  it did last night. To a very speedy recovery!
  • Aw jeez, at least it looks better today. That before picture is terrible.
  • OUCH!

I hope you heal quickly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Looks like the real brusing is starting.  The whole top of my foot is turning purple.  Awesome!!
  • OW!!!

I played co-ed recreational indoor soccer  when I was 19 (non-competitive with lots of large older men). Anywho, one kicked the crap out of my shin and shoved me to the ground. It hurt but I kept playing and wore my shinguards home. I took them off and got in the shower without looking at my leg and by the time I got out I had a grapefruit-sized mass on my shin. It continued to go through the lovely color-changing that bruises do. It lasted 3 months until it was totally gone. The worst part being I was a camp counselor at the time and it scared the crap out of the kids lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My last two foot injuries were swear-free.  When I broke my ankle, I was iceskating with a bunch of kids.  Couldn't use those words that I really wanted to. 

The most recent (last August) was when FI and SIL dropped a couch on my big toe.  I didn't swear because my two month old grandson was in the room.  As if he'd understand, but still. 

The worst part about the toe?  I didn't completely lose the toenail, but it split across the toe.  The end wasn't growing, but the cuticle end was.  It split and was growing under the nail.  I didn't figure it out until the pedicure showed it.  Now, I've partially trimmed it, but the distal end is attached on the outter edge and I don't want to pull it off.  It's going to make it difficult to get a pedicure for the wedding.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards