Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Should we just plan it and move on?

I was the bride that cancelled her July Jackson Hole wedding this month due to my father's shortened time frame on earth.  They were possibly going to overlap which would just be too hard.  There is much relief all around.

So now I learn that the "town doctor" is who gave him the time frame in months, while his actual oncologist said that doctor should NEVER have given him a time frame to begin with and the oncologist found that poor practicing and thought the guy should be fired.  (I know my dad and he probably badgered the poor guy til he coughed up some number.)  The town doctor has not been an active part of my dad's cancer treatment, only the oncologist.  We didn't know this until last week.

I also was told by my mother that my dad begged for the doctors to give him a surgery or more chemo and they refused (my dad probably told her this), when in fact the oncologist insisted they do more chemo and my dad actually decided no more treatment, his body is done (my mom actually went to this doctor appointment last week so I know this part was true).  I kind of felt like we cancelled the wedding with misinformation - although it's probably for the best anyway.  I haven't talked my dad about any of this.  I do it all through others since dad does NOT like to share anything about his health in general.

So given that things are even more uncertain, and also I have been researching our NEW (and 3rd) location lately.  I don't think we have the luxury of planning this last minute (which was one of the  benefits of just having the two of us) since the area is popular and the summers are short.  I really don't want our 3rd plan to be squashed because we didn't plan in advance.

We'd want ideal weather, plus this particular chalet that goes no later than August, so we'd pretty much have to plan this for August, even though my Jackson Hole wedding was for July.

I DIDN'T MAKE THIS PART CLEAR! 

THERE ARE NO GUESTS INVITED

WE ARE ELOPING

Would you just go ahead and plan for August?  I mean there are no venues/caterers to book this time.  Just a special hotel for the wedding night and a photographer (then all the other hotels for the rest of the trip).  I think we can get out of it easily should things all go down the week of our wedding.  It is impossible to gage my emotional state too.

Maybe we just won't tell family until it gets closer.  I just hate planning something, telling people about the plans, it all falls through, and then having to go tell them all it's changed.

We kind of wanted 2012 if you're wondering why not wait another year, but nothing can happen right now as I've got a thesis to crank out in the next 4 weeks and our Canadian destination is still under snow.  So in one month we should probably start reserving hotels and booking the photographer.

Re: Should we just plan it and move on?

• Options
    I answered "Other" because I would just worry about not giving people enough notice. Would you family have an issue (financial, taking time off of work, planning around other events, etc) with things if you were to tell them a bit later, after things go situated on your end in terms of planning? Is the Canadian venue the newest option?

Obviously you cannot control your dad's health. I say do what you feel is best. I completely understand with not wanting to tell people one thing and change. I had to do this unfortunately and was not happy about it, but people understood that sh*t happens. I can't imagine what you are going through with your dad, but regardless of 1 year or 10 years left, I don't think you should spend the time he has left walking on egg shells. In my opinion, this should show everyone the importance of living it up, and spending time with those you love!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Personally if it were me, I would wait on the wedding. This is a very emotional time for you and there is no point adding wedding stress on top of your thesis and your dad.
  • Options

I answered yes but wanted to add that I would speak with anyone that you're inviting to find out where they stand financially. You want to make sure its not too short notice for them, but if they are ok with it I would go ahead.
    Sometimes having something to look forward to also helps people to hold onto a stronger hope going through health problems, I have seen it numerous times in friends that are part of my Cancer Support group, it makes the hard times easier when there's something to look ahead to :) Knowing when you're getting married might give him that something, even if he's not going its still a huge milestone!

• Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    I think if it were me I would want my dad there if he could be so I would follow Britts advice and ask your family. Also, if he is too sick to make it, you can always get pictures with him in your gown and I'm sure he would love that! My Aunt got married and my grandfather was so sick he couldn't make it to the wedding so we hired a private nurse to stay with him. Before the wedding she had a photographer come and take pics of her and the family with my grandfather. If you won't be near his home I would think about hiring a photographer to do this so you would have pics with your dad in your wedding dress.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    OK - I must have left out pertinent information.

WE ARE ELOPING - NO GUESTS.

It's only for us now to make it easier on everyone.

My dad taught me my ENTIRE LIFE that weddings are a pain in the ass for everyone involved and I'd be doing everyone a favor by eloping.  So with that said and other things he's said recently, he does not care about weddings.
  • Options
    Honestly, just do what feels right for you. You cannot control outside things that happen during wedding planning. I know it is horrible what you are going through with your father...and I am so sorry this is happening to you (knottie hug). But unexpected things can always come up to any one of us and each situation is different.

If I were you I would probably go ahead and plan to have the wedding I wanted with the hopes that my father would be there for it. Maybe check with wedding insurance companies to see if they cover situations like this if you would need to cancel it last minute. Like PP have said...the positive thinking that he will be able to make it may actually work !
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh okay ! Well if no one is invited why not just go get eloped whenever you want ? What vendors would you need ?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Oh okay ! Well if no one is invited why not just go get eloped whenever you want ? What vendors would you need ?

Well, #1 Canada is under snow!  We kind of want to do this outdoors because part of our 2 week weddingmoon will involve some camping and a hiking chalet.  So August seems ideal for that. 

July we still plan to go to Jackson Hole the same weekend we had the wedding planned because we already bought the cabins and figured we'd make it a mini trip with some friends.  It's 4 hours away.

Then #2 I'm working on my thesis and working FT, so cannot really get married the month of April.  May and June can still have snow in Canada.

Basically we're wanting good weather.

I don't think wedding insurance is warranted for this event.  I mean most of the hotels you can cancel 3 days or 24 hours notice.  Then there's the photographer, but we can move dates with him if needed.  That's it really, get married, get photos, go to dinner, get a fancy hotel room, and the resume the road trip!

Really, I am the queen of flexibility.  I rarely get mad.  Everyone says how I seem to roll with the punches.  But it would be *nice* if a plan worked out for us you know!  Yes, I am aware that is could all go to crap again.  Luckily it's easy to undo again.
  • Options
    Sounds like it can be pretty flexible then ! Why don't you plan for August and book places that allow the 24 hour notice of cancel (hotel / dining). That is great with the photogropher being so flexible ! Will you be doing flowers or hair/makeup ?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    So here is my current idea!  Note, you can cancel with 3 days notice.

There is a lodge in Canada that has been #2 lodge in Canada for a few years now, among other awards.  It's secluded, but on our general road trip route.  They do a lot of elopements and even have an elopement package!  I'd love to get my hair/make up done! 

With two night's lodging the elopement package includes a mini wedding cake, officiant booking, bouquet, boutonniere, three course wedding dinner at the lodge, champagne, engraved toasting champagne flutes, and two breakfasts for two and someone to arrange/coordinate it all for you!  You don't even have to get married on site either to use the package.

So the entire package, including the two nights' with a view of the lake and fireplace, and all tips/taxes is $1595.  Alternatively we'd just run around and get all those items ourselves and go to a different fancy hotel, but I do think it's worth it to be "taken care of" rather than us running around.

Would you pay that much or just get all those little items yourself (bouquet from florist, cake from baker, wine from liquor store, etc)?  Minus the room it's about $700-800 worth of stuff.

Just trying to get more validation (through internet research) that this is the right place for us.  The few negative reviews on Trip Advisor make you go hmm...

I know who I want for a photographer.  He's got a 2 hour elopement deal.  Here is a published wedding of his at this actual location I mentioned!

http://www.stylemepretty.com/2011/07/06/emerald-lake-lodge-elopement-by-eric-daigle-photography/

Also waiting for FI to return from his trip so we can narrow down a date now!
  • Options
    If it is in your budget that package sounds awesome ! It beats the running around and you will not have to worry about anything =) They may have a salon in the place that can do hair/make-up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards