Chit Chat

Sick of $$$ Problems (Venting)

I'm still in college and will be graduating in May if everything goes according to plan. I'm studying to be a high school teacher, assuming I can even got a job, let alone a teaching job, in this economy. My FI has a good job working with computers. Its nothing fantastic but its more than enough for a "single" guy to live on and pay the bills. He's living with his parents right now, but his parents have terrible financial issues and they keep asking him for very large sums of money that we both know he will never see again, on top of him paying rent every week. And if he doesn't give them the money (in the hundreds of dollars area) they will throw him out of the house, even though he pays rent. He told me at this rate, him and his younger brother could just rent a 2 bedroom apartment and it would cost the same, maybe a little less.
We're getting married in a little less than 2 years and we were hoping to have enough saved up for a downpayment on a decent house by then, on top of saving money for our honeymoon and some parts of our wedding. Luckily my parents were generous enough to pay for our reception, for which I am eternally grateful, but at this rate, no matter what he's stuck doing, it seems like there is no way we will be able to save enough for a down payment, our honeymoon and smaller wedding expenses if he has to keep paying his parents or if he gets an apartment.
I am totally just venting here because everytime I bring it up, me and my FI get extremely upset because it feels like we're in a vicious cycle that we can't seem to get out of. Anyone else have advice? Anyone else going through a similar situation? I'm sick of dealing with money issues.

Re: Sick of $$$ Problems (Venting)

• He needs to move out... living with parents when your over thr age of 18 is not such a great idea...

Also, maybe move in together... you would be surprised how much you may be saving.. Also, trying to save for a down payment for a house is not that easy... thats at least $9000.. 

Oh dear, I feel bad for you but I am so happy that your parents are taking a load off... How come you are planning a wedding and a house without being financial stable??

We bought a house 4 months before our wedding but we both have stable jobs, have lived together since I was 15 and are well stable..I feel so bad for you..

I hope your fiance can get away from his parents.

• I agree he needs to get out of there, my FI was paying every month rent to his parents for living at their house and he didn't even have a bedroom. His room was a hallway that u had to walk through to get to his 13yr old sisters bedrooms. Not good, they also asked him for a lot of other money, would drive his car around so they didn't have to use their own gas, and would always be telling him to go buy food for all of them. Then he would by food for himself and the next day it is gone because they took it all. He ended up moving in with my parents and I and pays only $50 more a month for rent. We also have as much privacy as we want. I know this might not be an option for you and for most couples not the best option, but he does need to get out of their. Try taking on a part time job to help save money for the wedding and possibly wait to do a later honeymoon. Also, I know you shouldn't expect gifts, but I hear a lot of people around me say they were gifted enough money from showers/weddings to help pay for their down payment. But again, don't expect this, i could also be totally off.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:9054d2e6-a1ec-47c6-83b8-3a180360184a">Re: Sick of $$$ Problems (Venting)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>He needs to move out... living with parents when your over thr age of 18 is not such a great idea.</strong>.. Also, maybe move in together... you would be surprised how much you may be saving.. Also, trying to save for a down payment for a house is not that easy... thats at least $9000..  Oh dear, I feel bad for you but I am so happy that your parents are taking a load off... How come you are planning a wedding and a house without being financial stable?? We bought a house 4 months before our wedding but we both have stable jobs, have lived together since I was 15 and are well stable..I feel so bad for you.. I hope your fiance can get away from his parents.
    Posted by mrsrichard33[/QUOTE]

Holy judgemental.  Not everyone is able or willing to move out at 18. It doesn't make you less of an adult. But in the OP's situation I think it's best that he gets his own place.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:435e2364-80b4-4a9c-8ed9-a0a03861686a">Sick of $$$ Problems (Venting)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm still in college and will be graduating in May if everything goes according to plan. I'm studying to be a high school teacher, assuming I can even got a job, let alone a teaching job, in this economy. My FI has a good job working with computers. Its nothing fantastic but its more than enough for a "single" guy to live on and pay the bills. He's living with his parents right now, but his parents have terrible financial issues and they keep asking him for very large sums of money that we both know he will never see again, on top of him paying rent every week. And if he doesn't give them the money (in the hundreds of dollars area) they will throw him out of the house, even though he pays rent. He told me at this rate,<strong> him and his younger brother could just rent a 2 bedroom apartment and it would cost the same, maybe a little less. </strong>We're getting married in a little less than 2 years and we were hoping to have enough saved up for a downpayment on a decent house by then, on top of saving money for our honeymoon and some parts of our wedding. Luckily my parents were generous enough to pay for our reception, for which I am eternally grateful, but at this rate, no matter what he's stuck doing, it seems like there is no way we will be able to save enough for a down payment, our honeymoon and smaller wedding expenses if he has to keep paying his parents or if he gets an apartment. I am totally just venting here because everytime I bring it up, me and my FI get extremely upset because it feels like we're in a vicious cycle that we can't seem to get out of. Anyone else have advice? Anyone else going through a similar situation? I'm sick of dealing with money issues.
    Posted by luckygrl1224[/QUOTE]

Then why don't they? Your FI needs to move out and learn to say no to his parents when they ask for money. It's not their fault he gives in. Hell, they've got a sweet deal going.
  • While I don't think living at home is the end of the world in certain circumstances, I agree with PP that your FI needs to move out. One of the main reasons most adults move back home is because they need to save money. It sounds like your FI isn't really saving anything, and is, in fact, spending more. It creates a false economy, to me, and my FI has seen a number of his friends trap themselves with the logic that they're helping out family and really are saving money, but, when they look at their finances they're far worse off than they would be living in an apartment either on their own or with roommates. 

It's also good for him to live out in the world, if he hasn't before (you don't say whether he moved back home or never left, an important distinction to me), pay bills and take care of his own place. It's different when it's your own as opposed to your parents. It also sounds like his parents are pretty toxic about money to boot, so he needs to learn to say no. Trust me, my FI would give someone the shirt off his back, he's beyond generous with his friends and family, and it took him a little bit once we were together and had started planning our future to start being able to say "No, I love you, but it's really important that I save and take care of the things I need to. I can't give you that amount of money, can I help you in other ways?" It doesn't make him a bad person, he just had to set priorities. 
  • Do you and he have a budget? I may or may not know men like your fiancé, I promise I know people like his parents. Decide on a budget, commit to it, it is part of committing to each other. I hope he would entertain and act on moving out, as PP have said - but this reads co-dependent and may not be an easy break for him! (Not a diagnosis! Just a concern he has continued to allow himself to so be used). I hope you find an effective way to talk through this.
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:2ea589e7-2f7a-43df-86f2-9d5f518b7e78">Re: Sick of $$$ Problems (Venting)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sick of $$$ Problems (Venting) : Wait. What?
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sick of Problems Venting:He needs to move out... living with parents when your over thr age of 18 is not such a great idea... Also, maybe move in together... you would be surprised how much you may be saving.. Also, trying to save for a down payment for a house is not that easy... thats at least 9000..nbsp; Oh dear, I feel bad for you but I am so happy that your parents are taking a load off... How come you are planning a wedding and a house without being financial stable?? We bought a house 4 months before our wedding but we both have stable jobs, have lived together since I was 15 and are well stable..I feel so bad for you.. I hope your fiance can get away from his parents.Posted by mrsrichard33Wait. What? Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

Yea?
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]You've lived with your husband since you were 15? Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

That is correct
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:You've lived with your husband since you were 15? Posted by LucyHC

That is correct Posted by mrsrichard33[/QUOTE]

Whoops sorry husband just corrected me I was just 16
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]Mrsrichard, there's no delicate way to say this, but how can you possibly judge someone else living with their parents to save money and then act surprised when others question your far more controversial lifestyle? Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Uhm by the sounds of it this dude is not living with his parents to save money ... And if you knew my life the way it was before my husband came into my life you would take that "controversial" statement back ..! So answer this .. What's controversial about moving out of an abusive household and being proud that you have lived on your own since the age of 16 and have never had to ask for help. What's controversial about becoming more of an adult than your "parents" are supposed to be ?

That's what I thought.

I am nothing but proud of myself for being able to do that , live on my own with my man AND put my self thru school while working 3 jobs .. ! Not many people my age were able to do that . They were and most still are in the "my mommy and daddy will pay for it " state of mind.

If you want something you must work for it and in my case at 16 I had no choice but to do what I did .
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:Mrsrichard, there's no delicate way to say this, but how can you possibly judge someone else living with their parents to save money and then act surprised when others question your far more controversial lifestyle? Posted by StageManager14

Uhm by the sounds of it this dude is not living with his parents to save money ... And if you knew my life the way it was before my husband came into my life you would take that "controversial" statement back ..! So answer this .. What's controversial about moving out of an abusive household and being proud that you have lived on your own since the age of 16 and have never had to ask for help. What's controversial about becoming more of an adult than your "parents" are supposed to be ?

That's what I thought.

I am nothing but proud of myself for being able to do that , live on my own with my man AND put my self thru school while working 3 jobs .. ! Not many people my age were able to do that . They were and most still are in the "my mommy and daddy will pay for it " state of mind.

If you want something you must work for it and in my case at 16 I had no choice but to do what I did . Posted by mrsrichard33

Wow, that chip on your shoulder must be awful heavy. All I was saying was that your situation obviously looks sketch on the surface, but probably has more than meets the eye, which you confirmed. Why, then, would you think you know enough about everyone else's situation on the planet to make a blanket statement about all people over 18 who still live with their parents?

I would assume someone with your background would be LESS likely to jump to rash conclusions about others rather than more so. Because, yes, any way you slice it, walking into a room full of strangers and announcing that you've been living with your DH since before you were legally old enough to consent to sex in most states IS controversial. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

16 is legal age.. I said I was 16 when we moved in together ..
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:Mrsrichard, there's no delicate way to say this, but how can you possibly judge someone else living with their parents to save money and then act surprised when others question your far more controversial lifestyle? Posted by StageManager14

That's what I thought.

If you want something you must work for it and in my case at 16 I had no choice but to do what I did . Posted by mrsrichard33

Wow, that chip on your shoulder must be awful heavy. All I was saying was that your situation obviously looks sketch on the surface, but probably has more than meets the eye, which you confirmed. Why, then, would you think you know enough about everyone else's situation on the planet to make a blanket statement about all people over 18 who still live with their parents?

I would assume someone with your background would be LESS likely to jump to rash conclusions about others rather than more so. Because, yes, any way you slice it, walking into a room full of strangers and announcing that you've been living with your DH since before you were legally old enough to consent to sex in most states IS controversial. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

And also, the age was bumped up to 16 as of 2008 so when we first got together the legal age was 14 in which I was 14.. So there was never question about whether or not we were legal
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting: 16 is legal age.. I said I was 16 when we moved in together ..Posted by mrsrichard33No, you originally said 15, which is when people started reacting.nbsp; And even 16 is only legal age of consent in some states, not all.nbsp; However, way to totally sidestep the point there.nbsp; Very smooth. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

If you would have opened your eyes and seen my next post after that I had said I stand corrected husband corrected me and said I was technically 16 when we moved in together as it was 2 weeks after my bday.. Either way I was still above legal age . When we got together it was 14 and I was 14.
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting: If you would have opened your eyes and seen my next post after that I had said I stand corrected husband corrected me and said I was technically 16 when we moved in together as it was 2 weeks after my bday.. Either way I was still above legal age . When we got together it was 14 and I was 14.Posted by mrsrichard33You're still avoiding the POINT.nbsp; Sorry, I get it, you wanna rumble and bust heads because you've had it tough, but I'm not going to throw down with you. I'm truly sorry you had a sh!tty situation, but I don't see why that gives you the right to be extra rude and judgemental to everyone else in the world.nbsp; WE didn't abuse you or cause you to move out at 1416.nbsp; OP didn't do that.nbsp; 18 year olds who live at home didn't do it.nbsp; I will leave you with a recommendation for some counseling because your past obviously was very hard for you and seems to be affecting your day to day interactions with total strangers now.nbsp; I think you'll find a good therapist will be very helpful in finding peace with your past and getting you into a healthier place in the present.nbsp; Best of luck! Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:435e2364-80b4-4a9c-8ed9-a0a03861686a">Sick of $$$ Problems (Venting)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm still in college and will be graduating in May if everything goes according to plan. I'm studying to be a high school teacher, assuming I can even got a job, let alone a teaching job, in this economy. My FI has a good job working with computers. Its nothing fantastic but its more than enough for a "single" guy to live on and pay the bills. He's living with his parents right now, but his parents have terrible financial issues and they keep asking him for very large sums of money that we both know he will never see again, on top of him paying rent every week. And if he doesn't give them the money (in the hundreds of dollars area) they will throw him out of the house, even though he pays rent. He told me at this rate, him and his younger brother could just rent a 2 bedroom apartment and it would cost the same, maybe a little less. We're getting married in a little less than 2 years and we were hoping to have enough saved up for a downpayment on a decent house by then, on top of saving money for our honeymoon and some parts of our wedding. Luckily my parents were generous enough to pay for our reception, for which I am eternally grateful, but at this rate, no matter what he's stuck doing, it seems like there is no way we will be able to save enough for a down payment, our honeymoon and smaller wedding expenses if he has to keep paying his parents or if he gets an apartment. I am totally just venting here because everytime I bring it up, me and my FI get extremely upset because it feels like we're in a vicious cycle that we can't seem to get out of. Anyone else have advice? Anyone else going through a similar situation? I'm sick of dealing with money issues.
    Posted by luckygrl1224[/QUOTE]

<div>OP, your FI should seriously think about moving out.  My FI and I are both living with our parents right now (we're 24, recently graduated college, paying off loans, plus I am helping care for a sick parent - something I consider a good reason for living at home after 18 ;-) ) so I get how financially it can be easier to live at home.   Moving doesn't just cost rent, there are other costs that I'm starting to realize now that I'm getting ready to move out (like furniture and whatnot).  However, it sounds like right now that "extra" money he's paying is just making this stressful and worse.</div><div>
    </div><div>My FI and I wanted to be able to save for a downpayment but realized that for now it's going to have to wait.  Instead we're going to rent for a bit, figure out where we're going to live, and put money from each paycheck aside so that when we're ready, we'll have some money saved.  Especially where you don't have a job yet, it might not be a bad idea to focus on getting into good financial shape now without a mortgage.  Sometimes the best way to break out of a cycle is to get things a bit more stable and keep at it!  This could be a good time for you to readjust to something a bit more manageable for you that isn't as stressful.</div><div>
    </div><div>Best of luck to you!  Money issues are the worst!</div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:db22b14c-7cec-49c8-908e-eb419d3b41f8">Re:Sick of Problems Venting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting: Uhm by the sounds of it this dude is not living with his parents to save money ... And if you knew my life the way it was before my husband came into my life you would take that "controversial" statement back ..! So answer this .. <strong>What's controversial about moving out of an abusive household and being proud that you have lived on your own since the age of 16 and have never had to ask for help. </strong>What's controversial about becoming more of an adult than your "parents" are supposed to be ? That's what I thought. I am nothing but proud of myself for being able to do that , live on my own with my man AND put my self thru school while working 3 jobs .. ! Not many people my age were able to do that . They were and most still are in the "my mommy and daddy will pay for it " state of mind. If you want something you must work for it and in my case at 16 I had no choice but to do what I did .

To be perfectly fair, you haven't lived on your own since you were 16. You moved in with your BF when you were 16. You've never actually been self-sufficient. To live on your own you'd need to, you know, live on your own.
  • In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting:In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting: Uhm by the sounds of it this dude is not living with his parents to save money ... And if you knew my life the way it was before my husband came into my life you would take that "controversial" statement back ..! So answer this .. What's controversial about moving out of an abusive household and being proud that you have lived on your own since the age of 16 and have never had to ask for help. What's controversial about becoming more of an adult than your "parents" are supposed to be ? That's what I thought. I am nothing but proud of myself for being able to do that , live on my own with my man AND put my self thru school while working 3 jobs .. ! Not many people my age were able to do that . They were and most still are in the "my mommy and daddy will pay for it " state of mind. If you want something you must work for it and in my case at 16 I had no choice but to do what I did .Posted by mrsrichard33To be perfectly fair, you haven't lived on your own since you were 16. You moved in with your BF when you were 16.nbsp;You've never actually been selfsufficient. To live on your own you'd need to, you know, live on your own. Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]

Your silly lmao ! How many 16 year olds do you know that can support themselves?? Mmm likely not many.

Nice try though! Whether or not I lived with my husband I still "lived on my own" and didn't have the priveledge of my parents paying for everything like kids these days do . I had my own car , own insurance, own ownership, paid my own waay thru school , bought my own things..

Kids these days expect so much from their parents.. And this has nothing to do with OP post so see ya !!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:551752e8-d6a4-4b2d-bfd3-813a66b4260b">Re:Sick of Problems Venting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting: Your silly lmao ! How many 16 year olds do you know that can support themselves?? Mmm likely not many. Nice try though! Whether or not I lived with my husband I still "lived on my own" and didn't have the priveledge of my parents paying for everything like kids these days do . I had my own car , own insurance, own ownership, paid my own waay thru school , bought my own things.. Kids these days expect so much from their parents.. And this has nothing to do with OP post so see ya !!!

<div>Neither did you.  You already said that your BF supported you.  That doesn't make you better than anyone else or give you the right to judge an adult who is supporting his parents.  It sounds to me that you are simply jealous of all the people that can rely on their parents.  I agree with PP.  You seriously need counselling.  It is gotten so bad that you are being completely irrational with total strangers.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, your FI needs to move out and live on his own, with or without a roommate.  He needs to learn how to say no to his parents, and he needs to learn how to live on a budget that includes rent and savings.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:218080cc-fc18-4227-ab09-bdd2d386f85b">Re:Sick of Problems Venting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting : Neither did you.  <strong>You already said that your BF supported you.</strong>  That doesn't make you better than anyone else or give you the right to judge an adult who is supporting his parents.  It sounds to me that you are simply jealous of all the people that can rely on their parents.  I agree with PP.  You seriously need counselling.  It is gotten so bad that you are being completely irrational with total strangers.   OP, your FI needs to move out and live on his own, with or without a roommate.  He needs to learn how to say no to his parents, and he needs to learn how to live on a budget that includes rent and savings.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

mmmm... no i didnt .... but thanks for comin out!

Yep your right..... Im jealous of all the little brats who get feed from a silver spoon and never learn any respect or who have never had to work for anything....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:44f44ce6-04fa-4975-9c7b-3b89e682d99b">Re:Sick of Problems Venting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting : mmmm... no i didnt .... but thanks for comin out! Yep your right..... Im jealous of all the little brats who get feed from a silver spoon and never learn any respect or who have never had to work for anything....

<div>
    </div><div>So if someone lives with their parents after the age of 18, they're a brat with a silver spoon in their mouth? Tell that to my 20 year old son who has a fulltime management job and is a fulltime college student, and who is paying his tuition 100% by himself so he doesn't start his adult life with student loan debt. I'm sure he'll be glad to know he's so spoiled! Bitter, party of you!</div><div>
    </div><div>And I'm sorry that your family sucks, but I'd rather have my kids all live at home till they're done with college than have ANY of them living with a bf/gf before the age of at least 20.</div>
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sick-of-problems-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:cc7d7992-a29e-4221-8451-4ed376cfa8abPost:44f44ce6-04fa-4975-9c7b-3b89e682d99b">Re:Sick of Problems Venting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Sick of Problems Venting : mmmm... no i didnt .... but thanks for comin out! Yep your right..... Im jealous of all the little brats who get feed from a silver spoon and never learn any respect or who have never had to work for anything....

So you're going to throw your kids out on their 18th birthday because if they live with you they're spoiled brats with no respect and don't know the meaning of hard work. Good luck with that. I'm sure your high schoolers will be fine on their own with no help...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards