North Carolina-Outer Banks

Reviews 5-26-2012

First, we stayed at Fearing Cottage (owned by the owners of 108 Budleigh, so we received a $500 discount off the rental).  It was very large and had tons of seating for the rehearsal dinner.  We didn't tell them we had our rehearsal dinner and ceremony there.  They didn't charge us an event fee, but we haven't checked out yet, so we'll see ;o)  The only negative was we had several maintenance issues that they fixed very quickly.  We have a problem with the hot tub where everytime it rains it shorts out.  They keep fixing it but unfortunately it keeps happening. 

We went to Hairoics for pedicures.  They were very nice and fit us in last minute when Diva's Day Spa lost my reservation.  They even moved a bunch of regulars around to fit us in.  They did all 12 of us much more quickly than I expected.  The environment was great.  My nails broke twice before the wedding, but that was probably my fault and they fixed them for free both times. 

Currituck BBQ delivered our rehearsal dinner.  It was delivered early and the delivery person was very courteous and helpful.  The food was delicious.  Especially the pork BBQ and the Brisket.  They only bad thing was they gave us only one bottle of regular BBQ sauce and one bottle of NC BBQ sauce. Noone like the NC sauce in my group so we ran out. 

Metro rentals delivered benches and a sand ceremony table.  I didn't see the delivery person because they left everything in the carport the day before the wedding and picked it up the day after.  It was very smooth though. 

Bombshell's came to our house to do our makeup.  The girls showed up early, before we even returned from decorating 108 Budleigh.  They were very nice about waiting.  I LOVED my hair and makeup.  They did a great job on my mom and girls too.  Would definitely choose them again. 

We used Dave Keller for our officiant.  We were very happy with him.  He did a great job and was incredibly nice.  He showed up early and helped prep everyone.

Our dj was John Harper.  He couldn't do the ceremony on the beach so a collegue of his helped us out.  He did a great job.  John was awesome for the reception.  Everyone was happy and danced all night.  The night flew by.  The only thing we were unhappy about was that my mom forgot to bring her checkbook to the reception with everything that was going on.  We told him where we were staying and that we'd be here until Saturday. We'd  be happy to drop off a check the next day. He was actually incredibly rude and even told my mom that there was an ATM down the street. When we said that we can't get that much money out of an ATM he told my mom to "start taking up a collection" We figured it out, my mom's cousin wrote a check and then my mom wrote a check to her cousin. It was handled very badly however and my parents were pretty unhappy with the way they were treated.

Sandy Beach Tours took us from the ceremony to the reception.  The bus was very nice and everything was very smooth.  The driver was great.  I would definitely recommend. 

Our caterer was Ortega'z.   The food was great.  We loved everything.  It was nice that they provided the napkinis, silverware and plates for free, only to 108 Budleigh because their restaurant is right next door. The bartenders they provided were very fun and quick.  Noone waited for drinks.  The only thing I was unhappy about was I had stressed wanting guacamole with our fajita bar and there definitely wasn't any.  The servers were quick and helpful.  Susan and Marcelo helped me when I couldn't get a hold of Allison from Shindigs.  They set up our tables and shorted us a table.  The tables and chairs were there but I didn't have a linen to set it up myself. They fixed it for us with help from Lisa and Marcelo. Allison is very hard to get a hold of, but they got it done! We still haven't paid her because I can't seem to get a hold of her, but I think she is supposed to have a baby this week,being a mother myself, I understand. We'll work it out. Shindigs had everything (minus the missing table) set up for me by 9 am, which was helpful.

I ablsolutely loved our venue, 108 Budleigh.  It is so beautiful and comes with tables and chairs.  The patio area was wonderful.  We had a cigar bar and it was a beautiful night. That patio definitely got used!

Our photographers, Matt Lusk and his wife Ann Taylor were very sweet.  We could only afford 5 hours of coverage and they worked with us to make the most of our time. I can't wait to see our pictures!

Our florist was Sugar Snaps.  My bouquet of Orange Gerbera daisies, green spider mums, blue hydrangea and green hypericum was the most gorgeous bouquet I've ever seen.  Totally worth it.  We got lose daisies and my toss bouquet from Harris Teeter in Kitty Hawk. It was simple and smooth. Maggi was wonderful!

Our cake was done by Argyles.  We left the flowers out for the cake and she didn't put them on. We were annoyed by this, but luckily, I had a friend of the family there to coordinate.  She noticed that the blue gerbera daisies I ordered actually clashed with the ribbon and she placed some of the left over orange ones for me.  It looked pretty.  The cake itself was good.  It wasn't as good as I remembered in the tasting, but we were happy.  We got white chocolate key lime, chocolate grand marnier cake with chocolate mousse and an amarretto cake with raspberry filling. 

OBX Trolley took everyone home.  The driver was very nice and waited quite some time for guests because noone wanted to leave!  We had to pay an extra hour, but thats understandable. The driver made an extra trip back and forth for the people cleaning up.

DH and I stayed at The Cameron House Inn the night of the wedding.  The room was very nice and it was only two blocks from 108 Budleigh.  They let us check in early, since we had the wedding to do :)  They had fresh hot quiche (two varieties) in the morning, plus fruit, cereal, muffins, The owner was courteous and sweet.  They had coffee, sodas, water at our reach at any time.  I would defniitely stay again.

Overall, the day was beautiful and we were so happy!  Sorry for the novel!
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Reviews 5-26-2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_reviews-5-26-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:d57ff9b2-fb29-49d1-b90f-b3145f2276dePost:866ee53d-689e-4940-a582-46c661a71985">Reviews 5-26-2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]First, we stayed at Fearing Cottage (owned by the owners of 108 Budleigh, so we received a $500 discount off the rental).  It was very large and had tons of seating for the rehearsal dinner.  We didn't tell them we had our rehearsal dinner and ceremony there.  They didn't charge us an event fee, but we haven't checked out yet, so we'll see ;o)  The only negative was we had several maintenance issues that they fixed very quickly.  We have a problem with the hot tub where everytime it rains it shorts out.  They keep fixing it but unfortunately it keeps happening.  We went to Hairoics for pedicures.  They were very nice and fit us in last minute when Diva's Day Spa lost my reservation.  They even moved a bunch of regulars around to fit us in.  They did all 12 of us much more quickly than I expected.  The environment was great.  My nails broke twice before the wedding, but that was probably my fault and they fixed them for free both times.  Currituck BBQ delivered our rehearsal dinner.  It was delivered early and the delivery person was very courteous and helpful.  The food was delicious.  Especially the pork BBQ and the Brisket.  They only bad thing was they gave us only one bottle of regular BBQ sauce and one bottle of NC BBQ sauce. <strong>Noone like the NC sauce in my group</strong> so we ran out.  Metro rentals delivered benches and a sand ceremony table.  I didn't see the delivery person because they left everything in the carport the day before the wedding and picked it up the day after.  It was very smooth though.  Bombshell's came to our house to do our makeup.  The girls showed up early, before we even returned from decorating 108 Budleigh.  They were very nice about waiting.  I LOVED my hair and makeup.  They did a great job on my mom and girls too.  Would definitely choose them again.  We used Dave Keller for our officiant.  We were very happy with him.  He did a great job and was incredibly nice.  He showed up early and helped prep everyone. Our dj was John Harper.  He couldn't do the ceremony on the beach so a collegue of his helped us out.  He did a great job.  John was awesome for the reception.  Everyone was happy and danced all night.  The night flew by.  The only thing we were unhappy about was that my mom forgot to bring her checkbook to the reception with everything that was going on.  We told him where we were staying and that we'd be here until Saturday. We'd  be happy to drop off a check the next day. He was actually incredibly rude and even told my mom that there was an ATM down the street. When we said that we can't get that much money out of an ATM he told my mom to "start taking up a collection" We figured it out, my mom's cousin wrote a check and then my mom wrote a check to her cousin. It was handled very badly however and my parents were pretty unhappy with the way they were treated. Sandy Beach Tours took us from the ceremony to the reception.  The bus was very nice and everything was very smooth.  The driver was great.  I would definitely recommend.  Our caterer was Ortega'z.   The food was great.  We loved everything.  It was nice that they provided the napkinis, silverware and plates for free, only to 108 Budleigh because their restaurant is right next door. The bartenders they provided were very fun and quick.  Noone waited for drinks.  The only thing I was unhappy about was I had stressed wanting guacamole with our fajita bar and there definitely wasn't any.  The servers were quick and helpful.  Susan and Marcelo helped me when I couldn't get a hold of Allison from Shindigs.  They set up our tables and shorted us a table.  The tables and chairs were there but I didn't have a linen to set it up myself. They fixed it for us with help from Lisa and Marcelo. Allison is very hard to get a hold of, but they got it done! We still haven't paid her because I can't seem to get a hold of her, but I think she is supposed to have a baby this week,being a mother myself, I understand. We'll work it out. Shindigs had everything (minus the missing table) set up for me by 9 am, which was helpful. I ablsolutely loved our venue, 108 Budleigh.  It is so beautiful and comes with tables and chairs.  The patio area was wonderful.  We had a cigar bar and it was a beautiful night. That patio definitely got used! Our photographers, Matt Lusk and his wife Ann Taylor were very sweet.  We could only afford 5 hours of coverage and they worked with us to make the most of our time. I can't wait to see our pictures! Our florist was Sugar Snaps.  My bouquet of Orange Gerbera daisies, green spider mums, blue hydrangea and green hypericum was the most gorgeous bouquet I've ever seen.  Totally worth it.  We got lose daisies and my toss bouquet from Harris Teeter in Kitty Hawk. It was simple and smooth. Maggi was wonderful! Our cake was done by Argyles.  We left the flowers out for the cake and she didn't put them on. We were annoyed by this, but luckily, I had a friend of the family there to coordinate.  She noticed that the blue gerbera daisies I ordered actually clashed with the ribbon and she placed some of the left over orange ones for me.  It looked pretty.  The cake itself was good.  It wasn't as good as I remembered in the tasting, but we were happy.  We got white chocolate key lime, chocolate grand marnier cake with chocolate mousse and an amarretto cake with raspberry filling.  OBX Trolley took everyone home.  The driver was very nice and waited quite some time for guests because noone wanted to leave!  We had to pay an extra hour, but thats understandable. The driver made an extra trip back and forth for the people cleaning up. DH and I stayed at The Cameron House Inn the night of the wedding.  The room was very nice and it was only two blocks from 108 Budleigh.  They let us check in early, since we had the wedding to do :)  They had fresh hot quiche (two varieties) in the morning, plus fruit, cereal, muffins, The owner was courteous and sweet.  They had coffee, sodas, water at our reach at any time.  I would defniitely stay again. Overall, the day was beautiful and we were so happy!  Sorry for the novel!
    Posted by keb2482[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Blasphemy!  Kidding.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm glad you had an amazing day.

</div>
    Anniversary
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I agree Rebecca!  That IS blasphemy....lol ;)

I loved the Cameron House Inn when we stayed there!  The owners are sooo nice and accommodating.  Would definitely recommend that one again :)

• "Our dj was John Harper.  ...  He did a great job.  John was awesome for the reception.  Everyone was happy and danced all night.  The night flew by.  The only thing we were unhappy about was that my mom forgot to bring her checkbook to the reception with everything that was going on.  We told him where we were staying and that we'd be here until Saturday. We'd  be happy to drop off a check the next day. He was actually incredibly rude and even told my mom that there was an ATM down the street. When we said that we can't get that much money out of an ATM he told my mom to "start taking up a collection" We figured it out, my mom's cousin wrote a check and then my mom wrote a check to her cousin. It was handled very badly however and my parents were pretty unhappy with the way they were treated."

John is a fabulous DJ and has been in OBX for 30 years.  I am surprised that he did not make it clear that he had to be paid in advance.  He is emphatic about that from what we personally know.  When we wanted to go beyond the scheduled 3 hours, he stated that it had to be "cash on the barrell head." 

I am totally sorry that this happened to you guys but a lot of people want out on bills, etc.  From a business owner's POV, I see his point.  But perhaps he needs to get some people skills in the fiscal side of things just like he has on the DJ side.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards