Chit Chat

Goofy thing you discovered after you got married...

Just for fun and laughs, anyone discover anything quirky or have to learn to live with once you got married/moved in together?

I'm not moving in with FI for a couple more months (once my lease is up) and we got on this subject today and had a few chuckles about it.

Mine was: "I leave slightly-filled water glasses all over the place"; never hang the towels up; but my closet is organized by alphabetical color (blue, orange, pink, red etc);   he does not own one pair of matching socks;

some of his get kinda gross, wont go into that :)

Re: Goofy thing you discovered after you got married...

• My FI picks his toes, it's the weirdest thing i've seen.
    He doesn't notice it.. I always have to swat him hand when we are watching tv! haha

He also takes his shoes off right inside the door, in the walking path, so if you aren't looking you trip over his work shoes!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not married yet, but I do live with my FI.

He leaves his clothes wherever he takes them off.

Found out one morning that he occasionally sleep walks. Woke up, went to make a bowl of cereal, and found an empty carton in the fridge. Got to love it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • H definitely leaves his clothes all over the place.  We have three laundry baskets around the apartment, and I still pick up his socks every day.
    Photobucket
  • Learned after moving in with him he can have whole conversations while asleep, and not remember a thing in the morning. 
  • I discovered that my FI occasionally talks in his sleep... he also occasionally grabs or gropes me in his sleep! The first few times this happened I was startled, but now I think it's funny! He never believes that he does any of this!
    He also will tear the apartment apart if he can't find something he's looking for, and then won't pick up his mess. I once left his mess sitting in the middle of the living room for an entire week, and he never once bothered to pick it up. Kind of irritates me, but... "choose your battles." I have told him that I will not tolerate that kind of behavior if we ever have children. Fortunately this doesn't happen  too often. My FI also has trouble putting his dirty dishes in the sink. And he leaves half-empty soda cans all over the apartment. Hmm... from the way I'm going on about him, he sounds like a pig! :-p He's really not, though- and at least he puts the  toilet seat down and flushes! :)
  • H definitely leaves clothes all over the place. He also is bad about putting dirty cups and glasses in the dishwasher after he is finished drinking something. He just leaves them on the coffee & end tables and it drives me nuts. I can't stand messes, let alone the clutter of glasses all over the place.
  • I have lived with FI for about two and half years now. I did spend a lot and I mean a lot time at his place before but after I discovered he wasn't as clean (ie. dishes, picking up clothes, etc) as he appeared at first. Also he leaves his clothes right in front of my vanity so I always have to kick them out of the way. And when opening a box or a wrapper, he'll just leave it on the counter even though the trash if 3 feet away and this includes beer bottle caps.
    imageAnniversary
  • Not married yet, but live together.  The first thing I noticed of him is that he leaves drawers or cupboards open all the time.  He pointed out to me that I will open a pop, not finish it and leave it around the house, same with milk.  So now we both work on not doing that. 
    The really quirky thing that drives me nuts is that while I dry off in the shower instead of soaking the bath mat, because I hate accidentally stepping on it soaked, he dries off on the mat and soaks it.  This one isn't changing though, so I bought a bath mat that makes it really obvious to see when it's wet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FI writes down little notes to himself and to do-lists countless times a day, then lets the little papers pile up 'till they reach the ceiling. He does the same to his wallet, to the point that it gets so big it doesn't even fit in the pocket anymore. He uses all the pans and all the forks to make an omelette. He eats at the table sitting sideways. He falls asleep watching tv and then tries to tell me he was awake. lol
  • FI goes to bed with socks on, but then kicks them off under the covers sometime in the night.  Drives me crazy!  He also picks at his fingers absentmindedly and I have to ask him to stop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't live together before we got married, so I'm finding out all kinds of oddities.  One is that he won't mix our dirty clothes - I have my hamper, and he has his.  He's really funny about no co-mingling of the unmentionables.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    When we moved in together, I had the startling realization that for somebody that has been doing his own laundry relatively well (Re: no "pink underwear" mishaps) since he was 14, DH has no idea how to fold anything or figure out what should be hung up instead of folded (Aside from his work shirts).

I'm very particular about the state of my closets and dressers, so this can be a bit frustrating when I come home on one of his days off and find that he did the laundry ... and now half of my clothes, while clean, are very sloppily folded in a heap on the bed. This usually ends with me throwing everything of mine back into the dryer for 20 minutes to get everything unwrinkled before I will put it away how I deem proper.

It's hard to get mad at him for it, though, because he does the laundry on his own. I never have to ask him to pitch in with that, or any of the other household chores for that matter.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Dominique2011Dominique2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Not married yet but we live together. My fiance leaves cabinets open and when he cooks, he uses at least ten spoons etc! lol! He'll leave clothes wherever he takes them off and he'll usually go through numerous glasses a day! I do a lot of dish washing!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is reassuring to me -- I am not alone!

We live together but aren't married yet, and over the last few years I've found out a few "quirks" about him that are similar to so many others that have already been mentioned:

- undresses all over the house and leaves clothes wherever (couch, front hall, floor, bathroom)
    - leaves wrappers/beer caps/food packaging wherever he opens the item, and sometimes leaves the wrapper on the counter directly above the garbage can
    - keeps underwear and socks with holes in them (I also just slowly throw them out one at a time)
    - he bites his nails, and refuses to use a nail clipper on his toes - he just rips them off.  Usually he remembers to clean them up but once in a while I find a little pile of toenail clips on the coffee table... yuck.

BUT he is super-duper at closing the toilet lid (BOTH of them) and the toilet is spotless, he always checks it after using it.  And I've taught him how to fold laundry and he's good at that now.
  • I'm not married yet and we don't live together, but my FI is already starting to pick up on things that he does not like that I do. One main thing is, I leave kitchen cabinet doors open. I don't know why I do it and I don't even notice I do it. What's worse is that I'll do it at his house too. So my FI is trying to get me used to shutting the doors after I take something out of the cabinet.

I think I have more bad habits than he does or I'm just not that observant because I can't think of anything right now that he does that I don't like.

OH! One thing...it's not a bad habit but it's just something I find gross. He puts ketchup on almost EVERYTHING. Yuck!

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
  • He won't fill the sink with soapy water to do dishes.  He puts dishwashing liquid and some water in a little bowl and then dips the corner of a sponge in it before wiping down the dishes, drying them and putting them away.  It's the only thing about his housekeeping (which in all other ways is better than mine) that bugs me.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Oh, I forgot, he's also really bad about making the bed. Which, I really don't care if it's a mess all day long, but at night, I like to get in with all the sheets and blankets starting out fixed. He will seriously get into bed and just throw the knot of sheets on top of himself and not think twice about it. If he gets into bed before I have a chance to make it, the end result is usually me making a really sad attempt to half-make the bed "around" him.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • BF leaves his clothes wherever he takes them off. Which is all 5 rooms of our apartment. Awesome (but manageable...it takes 2 minutes for me to pick them up, and whatever I miss he picks up on Fridays when he's done work). 

He likes to leave a plastic cup by the sink to use/reuse for water so we don't have to wash as many.

He doesn't put certain dishes away in the same places ever either. It's always a battle for me to find the measuring cups or the glass containers, especially since I can't see the top shelf of our cupboards. 

He leaves food packages wherever he opens/eats the food. Usually the coffee table. 

Nothing I can't live with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • When my FI and I first moved in together, he was really particular about doing our laundry separately. He'd been doing his laundry himself for so long, he didn't want anyone else doing it.  Now we do our laundry together, and he's not as weird about it.  Funny how things change after a few years together.

Oh, and FI also leaves cupboards open. Usually not a big deal unless I walk through the kitchen, not paying attention and slam into one of them. Then I get irritated. :-p
  • FI is really good with doing the laundry, with the exception of putting away MY clothes.  If he does the laundry, he'll put away all his clothes, and the only thing he puts away of mine is my socks and underwear.  He claims it's because he doesn't know where I put everything but he also doesn't take the time to learn.  I've gotten used to it by now, and I figure it's better then having to search for 5 minutes for a shirt I know is clean but have no idea where he put it.  He also folds clothes kind of sloppy.  You can always tell which clothes I have folded and which he has folded.  I used to refold the stuff he did, but it was too time consuming and so I decided to just accept it. 

One thing that drives me nuts is when he's wants to know if we have something (i.e. toothpaste or deodorant) he will ALWAYS ask me if we have it instead of just looking for it himself.  Same with food.  Instead of looking in the frige, cupboard or freezer to see if we have something, he'll ask me if we have it (Like I have an inventory list of every item in our house stored in my brain) 

• He never puts anything away ever! He will start a project like putting in new door knobs for all our doors. But the packages and old ones will sit on the counter or wherever he last was. This happens with many things and I can't stand clutter.

He also is very bad at noticing when we need stuff (toiletries, etc). Somehow he thinks they all magically appear! But it's only because I go out and buy what we need. ha.

I know I annoy him by having my cup of water on the coffee table all the time. I like water! But one of our dogs always knocks it off with his tail.
  • Oh Anna, I hear you on the ketchup! FI puts it on EVERYTHING, I find it so gross. We'll go out to a really nice fancy restaurant and he'll ask for ketchup. Then he gets annoyed when they bring out a fancy dish of it rather than a bottle of Hines.

He also rearranges the way the dishwasher is loaded every time because he believes that it can fit more dishes. I've stopped loading the dishwasher alltogether because I just know that he'll take it all out and rearrange!

• I leave water glasses EVERYWHERE which is strange because I didnt do that in any of my apartments. Also, I think the strangest habit i've noticed about myself is when I peel a sticker off fruit I just stick it on the sink or the cabinet or table. I almost never throw it away (until I do the dishes) and I dont even notice when I do it, FI pointed it out, but I realized I've been doing it for years.

FI leaves the sliding back door open and bugs get in. He never shuts the screen door and I HATE that, I always make a point to close it when he walks out. Now sometimes he remembers as he gets to the bottom of the stairs and runs back up, so its getting better. I cant get too too upset though because I tend to forget to close the side door (we don't use the front door) when I get home. Sure the storm door keeps the bugs out but lets outside air in.

We have the same habit with dirty clothes, we both throw them on the floor all over the room. Neither of us really know why we do it and neither of us are really bothered by it, but we registered for two hampers I plan on keeping near the bed where most of the clothes pile up so it'll be easy at least to toss them in there. 
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • He doesn't believe in closing cabinets, drawers, doors, or anything that he might have to open again in the next 24 hrs.  : P
    "It starts out all very nice, two people promising to be together forever, I'll die when you die, my life meant nothing until you used my toothbrush. Then you start planning the wedding. Aunt Junie's allergic to milk. Uncle Momo's off his meds..."
  • We're not married yet but YES! So many of these apply to him!

He leaves his shoes right in the walk way

He leaves cabinets and doors open

He leaves his clothes where he takes them off, which is rarely even in the bedroom

He does the traveling getting ready routine, i always find my face moisturizer out in the living room and his deoderant in the bedroom

He falls asleep watching tv and clutching the remote and when I try to take it and change the channel, he swares he's watching it.

He has been known to sleep walk. He's woken up in the shower a few times.

He has a bad habbit of not locking the door or even worse, not CLOSING the door!
    When we lived in our apartment there were so many mornings I would leave for work in the morning and find the door OPEN a few inches! like he started to close it but gave up before he heard the "click"? who does that?!
  • I'm with the rest of you, FI leaves a mess out of his clothes, never throws anything away and leaves dishes wherever. He has so many odd and gross habits, but here are the 2 that drive me MOST insane...

First, he never stops moving. Ever. He has to always be tapping his foot, picking at his hands, playing with the remote, etc etc... and when I say always, I mean ALWAYS, I'll be in bed trying to fall asleep and be shaking because he's still tapping his foot! lol

The other one is he doesn't ever remember where anything is, ever. It's always hey hun, where are the scissors, or have you seen my work pants, or where did I put my tools, or where did I put my wallet! Like I even know half of this, but he'll seriously stare in the same place for hours until I get up and find whatever it is in 2 seconds. Drives me freaking insane!

But I still love him :)

Anniversary Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Wow - let's see.  For starters, he leaves his clothes wherever he takes them off.  He NEVER cleans anything.  I always find used glasses or cups in the family room - or wherever he decides the leave them!!  I have to go hunting throughout the house to make sure there's nothing left around.  Drives me nuts!

One time I asked him to make the bed and he pulled the sheets and the blanket up over the pillows.  That was it - he made the bed.  The bedspread/comforter and decorative pillows never made it onto the bed.  I definitely find I have to be much more specific about things!  I still love him though!!! :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • My FI sounds like he trained in the same "future hubby training camps" as yours, he does a lot of the same things, but he also has a hard time turning off lights. Our bathroom has a fan hooked up to the lightswitch, and it's really loud, but he never turns it off. He actually does have a mild hearing problem, but when he notices that he can't hear the tv as well because the fan is running, he just turns up the tv. He also does this thing where he stands in front of the fridge with the door open, but isn't really interested in getting anything out of it. He'll just stand there, carrying on a conversation for like five minutes, with the fridge open! It's a trait I know he picked up from his family, his brother does it as well. Sometimes he'll open the fridge AND the freezer if he's feeling really ambitious lol.
    Siggy Challenge December: Ladies' Choice- Since we won't have our own tree this year for Xmas... Image and video hosting by TinyPic December 31, 2010 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's so nice to hear that my FI is so much like everyone else's!  FI always leaves his clothes where ever he takes them off.  Which could be anywhere; you name it.  He never picks them up and puts them in the hamper.  I even moved the hamper out of the closet into the bedroom so it would be more accessible to him.  Didn't work...  He also leaves his dishes, pop cans, plates, wrappers, etc. out where ever he was using them; even if he's standing a foot away from the trash can.  I'm constantly walking around the house picking up clothes and trash! 

The cutest thing about my FI (I hope this isn't TMI!):  He HAS to watch TV while in the bathroom.  Our bedroom TV is angled so that we can see it from our bed and also from his bathroom.  If I ever have a hard time finding the remote, I know to look for it in his bathroom. 
  • These stories are funny.... My finace and I have been living together for 3 1/2 years. I've learned that he will leave the oven door open afer using it, even though I've caught our female cat sleeping in it at least 3 times. Thank God she has the intelligence to not go into it while it's hot. I've actually seen her go near it while it iwas hot. She got kind of close and then backed away and gave it a dirty look and ran off. Todd will leave his size 14 shoes in the middle of a walkway, then tries to tell me he trips over my size 6's all the time (one time when I kicked them off after soaking them in snow I left them in a doorway.) He mumbles a lot then gets mad when I make him repeat himself. He will "help" with laundry but asks me for 85% of the clothes which pile they go in. He only does half loads

Even after 3 1/2 years I ALWAYS forget he's color blind. I tell him "after 23 years of never having this issue you expect me to forget it in such a short time??"  I also sleepwalk. I've been known to chug whole cokes and them burp really loud. The weirdest example was before we moved in together I lived alone and had a dream that I got out of bed, went into the kitchen and ate a pudding cup. There was no pudding in the fridge. I woke up and thought it was a silly dream til I saw the spoon on my nightstand. I'm also so blind that if my glasses fall off the nightstand I have to make him find them for me.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards