Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Unity Candle Alternatives

Hi girls!
I love the idea of a unity candle ceremony, and what it represents.. but I want to do something a little more unique.  Are any of you doing something different with the same idea as a unity candle ceremony?  Any thoughts?

Re: Unity Candle Alternatives

• I'm personally doing a unity candle,  but I've heard of doing unity sand ceremony(mixing two different colors of sand together in one jar), blending of wines ceremony(pouring two seperate bottles of wine into one decanter) and a flower ceremony. I've seen the flower ceremony in two ways. The first way is just between the bride and groom. Each takes a rose and put it from it's own vase into a joint vase for the two roses, and the second way is to have the immediate family follow suit after the bride and groom and each place a flower in the shared bride/groom vase to symbolize the two families coming together.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We did a Vow Box. You get a wooden box and put a bottle of wine and two glasses ( in our case a bottle of whiskey and vodka!) or you can choose nothing. Instead of reading your vows to eachother you put them in the box and together nail it shut and you open it on your 10 year anniversary and read your vows. Its a nice reminder as to why you had gotten married and how far you have come. Heres the lines to recite that while putting the vows in the box and hammering it shut .....

Officiant says...
    (Grooms name) and (Brides name) intend to keep their romance living, through the years
    together, as they grow together.
    Today they are making promises of commitment to each other and have chosen
    to bring life to those promises through a special ceremony that further highlights
    their vows to one another.
    They have written there vows to each other and will place them,
    in this box which they will seal and keep, with a promise to be opened and
    shared on their 10th anniversary.
    A tangible reminder for the future of the promises of today.

(taking turns reciting lines)
    TEN YEARS FROM NOW, WE WILL OPEN THIS BOX TOGETHER
    AND WE SHALL READ THE WORDS OF OUR PROMISES
    AND LOVE
    AND COMMITMENT TO EACH OTHER.
    IT WON'T BE THE SAME LOVE AS TODAY
    I KNOW THAT IT WILL BE A DEEPER LOVE
    FILLED WITH ALL OF OUR EXPERIENCES THAT WILL BRING US
    CLOSER
    AND EVER MORE DEEPLY, IN LIKE
    AND IN LOVE
    WITH EACH OTHER.

Then nail the box shut together.

Then we brought the box to the reception and placed it near the guest book so as each guest came in we asked that they put their blessing on our marriage by helping us nail the box shut. It was really unique everyone loved it and we both look forward to opening the box in 10 years!! I have attached a picture to help you get an idea. The box I got was a little large. Now that I look at I wish I would have gotten something small so I could put it somewhere in the house and showcase it. Also we drilled small holes in the box where the nails went in so that it wasnt loud during the ceremony and reception. I've seen pictures of some really nice boxes that have engraving and paintings on it so be creative with it. You can also dress up the hammer like I did by wrapping it in my colored ribbon ( black and pink).... Hope this helped!!!
  • We are doing a rock ceremony.  I have been going to places I love, finding special rocks and when the people RSVP they wiill have a special rock with their name on it at the door.  We are asking that they hold this rock during the ceremony and the officiant will ask them to bless this rock and send with it wishes for us and on the way out they will drop it in a basket.  I plan to keep them all as a token of their wishes.  It's also in lieu of a guest book. 

Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
  • We're planting a tree.  I have the wording for the ceremony in my bio.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • edited August 2010

We are also struggling with this concept.

We are having an outdoor ceremony (weather permitting) and a candle flame will more than likely blow out. 

The sand ceremony is out- he hates the idea and i was only slightly interested in it.

We talked about doing something with water.  I was raised as a Unitarian Universalist and every year they did a water ceremony where ppl would pour water into a chalice from their varying journeys over the past year to share their experience (joys and sorrows). 

We were engaged on the edge of a creek and we have a bottle of water from that creek (unless he has accidentally emptied it out.. i will have to check)..

I was thinking of doing something with that.

we thought of putting a glass inside a bowl (or something like that) and each pouring water into the glass until it overflows ("my cup runeth over") to symbolize our intertwining lives as being enriched and blessed and our happiness at sharing our lives together.  It was just an idea we had.. we are not settled on it.. what do people thinl.. too corny?

• there is another post with incredible idea..same post..in the traditions section.

lots of good ideas there too..
  • I like the idea of the water ("my cup runeth over").  Maybe each of you could have a different color of water (say blue and red) and when poured together a new color is made (purple).  Just an idea.

We are having a unity candle at our wedding but I made the candle.  I used white opaque parraffin wax and made one basic pillar candle, then put that candle into a bigger mold (same height, one in. larger in diameter) and filled it with dried flowers that I have saved that my FI has given me over time.  Then I poured more of the wax in and allowed it to dry.  Once solid I took it out and had myself a GORGEOUS candle that actually has sentimental value to it rather than some candle bought at a store. 

It is also something that looks nice and can be placed in our home as a reminder and not look to weddingish/cheesy as decorations.  It will look like any other candle but we will know what it is as well as those close to us who visit our home. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_unity-candle-alternatives-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:4cef3ab7-7660-4497-8689-8a07d5e7cf01Post:ffbb3d14-5ad9-4690-97a5-d1c7ef1cc5a6">Re: Unity Candle Alternatives</a>:
    [QUOTE]I<strong> like the idea of the water ("my cup runeth over").  Maybe each of you could have a different color of water (say blue and red) and when poured together a new color is made (purple).</strong>  Posted by kgrollmus[/QUOTE]

This is what I was going to suggest. It's supposed to symbolize two things coming together that can't be separated.  Once those colors mix, they're mixed for good.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards