Pre-wedding Parties

Pampered Chef Shower?

Have any of you had a Pampered Chef Shower?
How exactly do they work?? There is a lady that wants to throw me one but I'm kind of hesitant. I'd need to make another registry, which seems like an extra hassle to me and I don't know if I even want enough stuff that is exclusively P.C to justify it. Thoughts?
Beka Lou

Re: Pampered Chef Shower?

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some people frown on these types of showers because it ends up  being a woman pushing all her pampered chef products on everyone during what is supposed to be a pleasant little party with close family and friends. 

Does the woman who wants to throw you the shower work for Pampered Chef or have a family member who does?  Therefore this person would be hosting the shower?  If so, that person will make a commission off of anything your guests purchase at the shower.

I'd be hesitant and would probably decline the shower, but it really is your call.  And, I think that if you weren't registered there then it wouldn't make sense to have one anyway.  Instead of bringing gifts, they'd be buying you a gift at the shower.  If they already brought you a gift from a different registry, then they'd feel pressure to buy something for themselves at the party.
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I detest product showers (Passion Parties, Pampered Chef, etc.), so, personally, I would decline.

However, it's ultimately up to you if a PC shower is something you think you would enjoy.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I don't like these parties, either. You create a wish list of items that you want. A sales woman goes to the shower and pressures your guests into purchasing overpriced items for you. The sales woman makes a commission and the hostess sometimes receives some sort of gift or points.
    It's okay to politely decline this friends offer, especially if you are not even interested
    in  a Pampered Chef registry.

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pps.  I detest home shopping parties, and would decline an invitation to a shower if I knew it was a PC shower.

If the brides wants cookware, have her register for it and people will get the things she wants/needs.

But a shower should not, IMO, be turned into a high pressure home shopping party, which is what it really is.  People can try to cutely call it a "shower", but it's not.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all PP.  These parties put horrible pressure on the guests to buy from the catalog.  And you have the bride sitting there watching you? 

I would turn down the offer, especially since it sounds like you don't even really want pampered chef items.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bekahjane89bekahjane89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I think I'll pass on her offer knowing all of this. Any suggestions on how to politely say I don't want the PC shower?
    Beka Lou
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of these types of showers/parties either. I'm uncomfortable enough just going to one of these parties, nevermind going to a bridal shower where they would be having one. I would hate to attend a shower where I felt obligated to buy something. I much prefer attending showers where I shop beforehand going off of the couple's registry already set up in stores. I also like to watch the bride open her gifts, and a PC party would kind of defeat the purpose of showering the bride with gifts and watching her ooh and ahh over what she opens.

You can politely decline the shower by saying, "Thanks, but I'd rather not have a sales pitch at my bridal shower and FI and I are already really excited about our registries at Target and Crate & Barrel and have already registered at those places for everything we need and want." You can leave the sales pitch part out if you feel it may hurt her feelings. HTH!
  • Miss_SophiaMiss_Sophia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I just had my bridesmaids throw me a pampered chef party. None of them are consultants, one of my BM's husbands works with one. I made a wish list and people came and they could order stuff off my list and order for themselves if they wanted to.

The consultant there separated everything so that when things come to my mom's house it will all be listed with who bought me what item.

It was nice because there were some kitchen items that I couldn't find in my Younkers or Target registries that I was able to pick out for my wish list for Pampered Chef.

All in all, I think it really depends on how you feel about your registry, the people throwing the shower for you and the consultant. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea but I was pleasantly surprised.
  • edited December 2011
    One of my friends is a PC consultant and offered to help me set up an online PC registry for my shower.  I did that - just a few things and, like a PP said, things I couldn't find at the main large store where I'm registered.  No in-person party, though.  It's just listed on our wedding website next to the other registry.
    Our Wedding Day
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The more I looked at the PC products there are some awesome things that I can't seem to find anywhere else with my other registries, but I'm still somewhat uncertain about an actual shower. I haven't had a chance to talk to her again (I have plenty of time - wedding isn't until January and she only mentioned it, not set in stone yet) but I'm much more inclined to just register for the few things and add it to the list of registries on my wedding website and leave it at that.

Thanks ladies for all your advise and information!!
    Beka Lou
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I seriously doubt that you can't find the items Pampered Chef sells at places like BB&B or Williams Sonoma. 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not finding them at BB&B at all - not the specific ones I wanted and I haven't checked Williams Sonoma but I figure if I make another registry it might as well be PC as much as Williams Sonoma.
    Beka Lou
    edited December 2011

Just keep in mind, it's often much easier to shop at Wiliams Sonoma than Pampered Chef.

Just out of curiosity, what are the items that you can't find?

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_pampered-chef-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:77765a78-cf86-4f52-86f9-1453cc2dfa3ePost:31040f87-93e5-4683-af2c-b97250b815ba">Re: Pampered Chef Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just keep in mind, it's often much easier to shop at Williams Sonoma than Pampered Chef. Just out of curiosity, what are the items that you can't find?
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Usually that would be the case - however, I'm from a small town in Texas - the closest Williams Sonoma is over an hour away - and that is assuming you don't hit traffic as you head into the metroplex. I've attended Tons of weddings in my area and hometown and honestly - before you mentioned it I had never even heard of them, they just aren't a big deal down here with my 'crowd' I guess you could say. I looked on their website after you posted and couldn't find the things I love from PC. I'm also finishing up my education in a different town and we don't even have a WS within 300 miles so I can't just go to the store and look at stuff.
    Honestly I figure if my guests would buy that item they would do it online from W.S. so it would be just as easy for them to do it from PC - at least there are consultants in our town for PC so they have a real person to talk to etc. I may be wrong - but that is my line of thought.

They're mostly just little gadgets - like my favorite is called the "mix n chop" and I've never seen it anywhere else - and I've looked. And I prefer some of the entertainment dishes to what I'm finding in regular store with their options for removing pieces or exchanging for other pieces and adding lids that come with the piece etc.
    Beka Lou
    edited December 2011
    Gotcha.

FWIW, I'm a huge fan of buying off the internet.   DH and I were invited to three weddings this year and I only went to BB&B to buy a shower gift.  Everything else will be purchased online regardless of how far we are from the store.    So even though WS is over an hour away for me too I shopped from there for a gift that was sent.

Beyond that, you may find some tailored pieces that they have, so that sounds pretty cool.  Don't discount other stores but hey - if they have what you want and you're not doing the high pressure shower, go for it.
  • Miss_SophiaMiss_Sophia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bekah I am totally with you, I don't live near a W&S and I figured it would have been just as easy for guests to order from the PC consultant (or online too). Well frankly a W&S isn't a store on our registry for that fact. Most of the stuff that I had on my wish list were the gadety items too. There were some of the serving platters and knives I liked but I registered somewhere else for the pots and pans. PC pots and pans are spendy!

Though, on a side note, when I tried to do a search on Younkers website for 'stainless steel cookware' the results brought up silky granny panty underwear. Now seriously, how does that work!?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards