Wedding Etiquette Forum

Good morning

Re: Good morning

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:1ef1bc3c-8cf6-475f-a391-8f384dfb41a1">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good morning : This confuses me.  If you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, the medication doesn't correct it to the point where it just "goes back to normal."  Your brain chemistry is your brain chemistry.  It doesn't change after years of taking pills.  I get that some people can get rid of their anxiety by lifestyle changes, but if  you have an anxiety or panic disorder or a hyperactive amygdala, pills don't just change your brain makeup.  How is one expected to stop taking pills under those circumstances?
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

Thank you
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Getting help is good. As long as there really ARE extenuating circumstances.  Be mad at me if you want, but I think it's bad for you, bad for the medical system, and just more needless money in the pockets of drug companies for something it SOUNDS like (based on the info she's given here) she probably doesn't need long term.
  • Mari just enjoy the time you have with your new H. That's the important part. There was a really good steak house in Paris. I think it was calle Artisans or something. Not sure if it's still there. We went a few years ago.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:1ef1bc3c-8cf6-475f-a391-8f384dfb41a1">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good morning : This confuses me.  If you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, the medication doesn't correct it to the point where it just "goes back to normal."  Your brain chemistry is your brain chemistry.  It doesn't change after years of taking pills.  I get that some people can get rid of their anxiety by lifestyle changes, but if  you have an anxiety or panic disorder or a hyperactive amygdala, pills don't just change your brain makeup.  How is one expected to stop taking pills under those circumstances?

Oh, i guess I wasn't clear.  I'm more talking about people whos' doctor prescribes it as a temporary fix to a problem (like MeganLindsay who's post started this whole thing) and the person uses it consistently and won't go off of it, and  as Snippy says, never face the problem in the first place.  My husband was on anti-depressents, but he managed to get off them because in his case, they were supposed to be temporary to help him get through a tough time, but most people I know (just personal experiences only) stay on them because they are scared of what the world is like without them.  Doctors seem to prescribe them for bloody everything these days.  Everyone has anxiety, depression or ADD up here according to the health professionals.  It's ridiculous. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:7135b1c1-0ea6-404e-8e78-7da070107bce">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna -- first, check with your insurance to find out what is covered under mental health.  A bunch (including HMOs) allow you to self-refer to a therapist, and they'll cover a set number of sessions, so you won't have to go through your doctor if you use a therapist on their list.  I used to have the worst HMO insurance in the world, and I still was able to go see a therapist for sessions without any extra paperwork beyond what I'd fill out to see anyone.  It was just a copay and the therapist billed the rest to the HMO and dealt with the paperwork.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I have looked on my insurance page but I never knew what I was looking for. And no one in DC is EVER accepting new patients, if they accept insurance at all. And my GP flat out refused to give me a name of anyone to talk to just because she said she didn't know of anyone who took insurance. Hopefully I can find someone better in Florida. When I start school I can at least go to the student mental health center. And my anxiety isn't really <em>that</em> bad, it's just that getting treatment has become such a huge trigger for me so that obviously causes problems. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    There are psych issues that are chemical and ones that are not.  So you can do therapy until the cows come home, and if your problem is chemical, you won't get too far.  But if you try to chemically treat a problem that isn't chemical, it either won't work, or you'll be doping up a perfectly functional system and not get to the underlying problem

A good physician or therapist can figure out the difference between the two.  Sadly, there are a lot of bad practitioners who cannot differentiate.  So when in doubt, get a second or third or fourth opinion.  A lot of primary care doctors aren't good at psych.  And a lot of psychiatrists aren't very good and just throw pills.  Mental health care is one of the trickiest to manage.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:d4ae6f2c-1e79-415f-afa1-db28cb5c9cfa">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]Getting help is good. As long as there really ARE extenuating circumstances.  Be mad at me if you want, but I think it's bad for you, bad for the medical system, and just more needless money in the pockets of drug companies for something it SOUNDS like (based on the info she's given here) she probably doesn't need long term.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

<div>She's posted about it other times, too, and IIRC, it's not all just wedding stress. Part of the reason I'm taking such a hard line on this is because I know Megan IRL. We grew up together and were best friends. We went through a lot of stuff together, including the major depression I mentioned above. I genuinely do not see her as the type to make a snap decision and say, "Bring on the pills" without making any other attempts at improving the situation.
    </div>
  • Okay, Habs, thanks for clearing that up.

I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder after a major accident in 2005, and tried to work through it for years before I was medicated in 2008.  For the first three years of medication I kept trying to "wean" myself off the medication.  It just doesn't work that way for me.  I hold out hope that eventually my brain will "go back to normal", but honestly, I don't mind taking a pill each night if it improves my quality of life to the point it's at now.  I used to get panic attacks to the point of not functioning or leaving my apartment back in the day for fear of what would happen when I stepped outside.  I'd love to get to the point where I don't need to take medication anymore, but if I never do, I'm really okay with things the way they are.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:66e8722d-54d4-41d7-9ea3-8e1c0690cf7a">Re:Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mari just enjoy the time you have with your new H. That's the important part. There was a really good steak house in Paris. I think it was calle Artisans or something. Not sure if it's still there. We went a few years ago.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I know we will have a great time no matter what we do or stay. We have reservations at the Mon Ami Gabi that it supposed to be really good and you can sit outside and see the fountains at the Bellagio.
  • I agree Rachel, this sucks. It makes me think of how we (J and I) are going to feel if my dad ever finds out that J is on Adderall. He is gonna sit us down and try to read us the riot act about it. 
  • mica178mica178 member
    Megan -- I'm glad your psychiatrist started you on an SSRI.  SSRIs actually do help chemical imbalances in the brain.  
  • That sounds like a whole lot of bullshit, Holly.  I hope it all works out for  you :(

• I guess that's what scares me about medication... I wouldn't want to take something that alters the chemicals in my brain to the point where I don't want to be off them.  Maybe I'm too much of a control freak, but I feel like that just scares me.  Again, maybe I'm reading too much conspiracy crap and what not, but I am also not a chemical fan in the first place... so there's that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:77419930-0f5b-4b5d-a3d6-1e732fdb9de1">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's lame that ML had to defend herself. Good grief.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>Especially after lots of people here encouraged her to get help in the first place.</div><div>
    </div><div>Snippy, I put up with my ILs for nearly five years. I tried nearly everything my doctors and I could think of. When I finally decided to go on medication, it was because the physical symptoms of my stress were too overwhelming. I have an autoimmune disorder, and stress is a major trigger for me. I could not cope. I do not think my doctors were wrong to give me medicaiton. At all. They didn't just throw pills at me.</div>
  • mica178mica178 member
    Holly -- you'd think that for $700, the driver could have google-mapped everything before picking you all up.
  • Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but many companies have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that not only refers you to a therapist, but also allows 5 free sessions, per year, per issue/problem (stress, financial advice,family matters, etc.).  Some also have referrals for MDs, attorneys, or other professionals available.

Might be worth checking into. 

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:77419930-0f5b-4b5d-a3d6-1e732fdb9de1">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's lame that ML had to defend herself. Good grief.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

I think it was more clarification versus defending herself.

Knowing more about the situation helps me form a more informed opinion. ML does imodium help?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Wasn't expecting to come back to this for sure. I agree with Rachers in that it's lame ML felt the need to defend herself. Everyone is different.
  • Holly, I'm sorry they're being douches. Good for your H for sticking to his guns.
  • Ugh so H's grandmother never showed up at the wedding and when he went over there the other day she didn't even acknowledge it, apparently I just don't exist now...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:2a19aff6-8fec-4945-8d60-11258e870c2c">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess that's what scares me about medication... <strong>I wouldn't want to take something that alters the chemicals in my brain to the point where I don't want to be off them</strong>.  Maybe I'm too much of a control freak, but I feel like that just scares me.  Again, maybe I'm reading too much conspiracy crap and what not, but I am also not a chemical fan in the first place... so there's that. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

I don't see it as altering who I am.  Medication regulates my amygdala (the gland that produces fear reactions in the brain) so that I don't have panic attacks.  It doesn't change who I am as a person, it gives me the ability to function normally like everyone else.  H (I know, I know) used to tell me, when I got upset about having to take medication, that it's not changing who I am, it's giving me the opportunity to be the person that I should be, instead of controlled by my hyperactive amygdala.  If that makes any sense.

• Mari, is your H the one who lived with his grandmother and she didn't want to cut the cord?  That's really shitty that she didn't show up. 
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • ML, I have IBS so I know what you're going through. Eating more properly has helped, but glad that you are getting the help that you need.
  • That sucks, Mari. :( 

• Mari, I'm sorry  (and you know this already) but your GIL is a twatface.  I can't believe she's acting like that.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:f87a939f-0aa1-44de-9049-688247102f85">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mari, is your H the one who lived with his grandmother and she didn't want to cut the cord?  That's really shitty that she didn't show up. 
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

Yep that's him. Yeah the rest of his family was there and kept asking for her, I told them that she was invited and we got her a corsage and left it at that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:1b7f54c3-993d-439c-9db1-60df7bab06bf">Re: Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good morning : I don't see it as altering who I am.  Medication regulates my amygdala (the gland that produces fear reactions in the brain) so that I don't have panic attacks.  It doesn't change who I am as a person, <strong>it gives me the ability to function normally like everyone else. </strong> H (I know, I know) used to tell me, when I got upset about having to take medication, that it's not changing who I am, it's giving me the opportunity to be the person that I should be, instead of controlled by my hyperactive amygdala.  If that makes any sense.

<div>
    </div><div>That is a great way to put it. I am so happy J has medication now, even if we are paying without insurance coverage to get it. He is so much more productive and happy with it. I don't see it as making him a different person, either. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-244?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:22699006-9394-444e-a629-687df153f28dPost:478eee88-fc91-49df-9a75-787c5771e536">Re:Good morning</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Good morning : Thanks, I know we will have a great time no matter what we do or stay. We have reservations at the Mon Ami Gabi that it supposed to be really good and you can sit outside and see the fountains at the Bellagio.
    Posted by mari0225[/QUOTE]

Mari, that is the restaurant I was going to recommend! It is fabulous. Request a seat outside so you can watch the fountains at Bellagio! I love the filet w/ merlot sauce. Its really good. I hope you enjoy your vegas honeymoon! I think the Bellagio has the best/most free stuff to look at and it will be right across from the Paris. Don't gamble there though! Old Vegas/Downtown is the best place to gamble IMO! The minimum bets are lower and everything is  a little looser and more fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry Mari. She's a real piece of work. :(
  • SnippylynnSnippylynn member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    Special, you have exigent circumstances here-- great. You know Megan. That's good. But if you read that, as I did, without knowing her at all, you might have a problem with it.

Not like I'm the only person who spoke up and said it was wrong.  It's not exactly a terrible stance to have. I am all for people seeking help, but I think you have to be informed, you have to understand yourself and your body, and be prepared to say no to a doctor when they suggest something. Doctor's are people who make mistakes. We need to trust them, yes, but we also need to question them. There's always someone who graduated last. They're still called 'doctor'.

I'm really raw about this right now because my aunt, who has a blood condition where she has to take medication every day to keep her blood from clotting, was pregnant again. The last time she was pregnant, the doctors took her off the medication and killed her baby. So this time, you'd think she would stay on the medication no matter what. Instead, when the doctor (idiot dr by the way) said she should stop taking the medicine-- she did. Guess what? Dead baby. It's ridiculous. Question.your.doctor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards