Ohio-Toledo

Save the Date question

FI & I decided that we were going to send Save the Dates to those who live 2+ hours away because they might be the ones who need to make travel/accomodations arrangements, but now I'm second guessing this decision.

We chose to do it this way to save money on sending them to everyone (we'd have about 100ish if we sent them to EVERYONE), and because we aren't sure we want to be locked into the entire guest list just yet. However, I'm now wondering if some people will be mad/upset/hurt that they live closer and don't get one.

Thoughts? Should we just go with our original decision?
Planning & Married Bios

Anniversary

PAL/PGAL Welcome

My TTC Chart
BFP #1 12/13/08 - mc 12/26/08
BFP #2 12/2/09 - emergency surgery for ectopic 12/5/09

Photobucket Photobucket

Re: Save the Date question

• edited December 2011
    Personally, I'd go all or nothing on it.  If friends and relatives hear that other friends and relatives have received an STD and they did not, they might assume that they have not been invited to the wedding.  I think feelings could unintentionally get hurt.

At this point (with being 5 months out), I might just skip the STDs.  By the time they would go out, you'd be sending out the actual invitations like 2.5 months later.  This is just my opinion, but I think I'd try to just spread the date, etc. to OOT guests through word of mouth.  Maybe just send your invitations out at like 10 weeks instead of the usual 6-8?
  • edited December 2011
    We had a Toledo wedding. I had just moved back to Toledo after 12+ years so most of my guests (family and friends) were oot and would be traveling a long distance.

We did STDs for out of town guests. I included all of my LD people and then a handful of husband's guests who lived out of town.  The STDs worked perfect for my guests. But I probably should not have done them for husband's guests.

As the STDs started arriving to husband's family, MIL was getting calls because in town people didn't think they were being invited. For example a couple of his cousins lived across country so I sent them a STD. They must have told their parents/siblings from Toledo, so the Toledo people were expecting to get something in the mail also. 

MIL was asking if I was going to send them out to everyone, and I pretty much said "No." It was a lot of work for the 50-70 that I had to send to OOT guests.

Everyone of course got an invitation but I think it caused some confusion   :o(
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_save-date-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:237Discussion:36c54bc5-bdb8-4662-8ff2-08f38e841d22Post:05dfc54c-440d-46df-9097-ea00f9e32498">Re: Save the Date question</a>:
    [QUOTE]At this point (with being 5 months out), I might just skip the STDs.  By the time they would go out, you'd be sending out the actual invitations like 2.5 months later.  This is just my opinion, but I think I'd try to just spread the date, etc. to OOT guests through word of mouth.  Maybe just send your invitations out at like 10 weeks instead of the usual 6-8?
    Posted by abbeylynne06[/QUOTE]

The STDs for the 12 OOT guests (well 2+ hrs away) that we're inviting have already been mailed, so it's more a debate about leaving things as is or doing a second round of mailings...
    Planning & Married Bios

Anniversary

PAL/PGAL Welcome

My TTC Chart

Photobucket Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_save-date-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:36c54bc5-bdb8-4662-8ff2-08f38e841d22Post:c9b19e05-973a-41c2-b661-b675693d92a9">Re: Save the Date question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Save the Date question : The STDs for the 12 OOT guests (well 2+ hrs away) that we're inviting have already been mailed, so it's more a debate about leaving things as is or doing a second round of mailings...
    Posted by chicadelpadre[/QUOTE]

Gotcha.  Well, since it's just 12 (I was picturing like half your guest list) and they are already out, I would just leave it as is.  Save yourself the extra work!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_save-date-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:237Discussion:36c54bc5-bdb8-4662-8ff2-08f38e841d22Post:fd883b56-d384-425b-9070-817e412a1d08">Re: Save the Date question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Save the Date question : Gotcha.  Well, since it's just 12 (I was picturing like half your guest list) and they are already out, I would just leave it as is.  Save yourself the extra work!
    Posted by abbeylynne06[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I think I'll just leave it as is and try not to worry.
    Planning & Married Bios

Anniversary

PAL/PGAL Welcome

My TTC Chart

Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards