Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Hawaii or Aruba?

My FI and I are trying to decide between these two beautiful locations for our honeymoon. We are getting married October 2, 2010 and think the weather at either place will be fine, so that is not really an issue. The reason we are having a hard time choosing is because we took a trip to Honolulu this past October and absolutely loved it. We both agreed to go back one day, and we know we'd have an incredible time there again. We're thinking of staying at a different location on Oahu, or possibly going to another island, just for a change of scenery. On the other hand, we both want to go to Aruba and hear that it's one of the most beautiful places and has great snorkeling. We don't want to get to Aruba and be sad because it isn't as wonderful as Hawaii, but at the same time we may feel like we're missing out if we don't try something new. Any advice??? Thanks, ladies!

Re: Hawaii or Aruba?

• Options
    Aruba is an island that most everyone I knows always travels back to because they love it- from the people, the beaches, the food, and the climate.  We were in between both and went with Aruba so we can really just kick back and relax.. Most of my co-workers honeymooned in Aruba, rave about it and go back... so we picked Aruba...  I agree with the flight times too, I just want to relax and spend a day or 2 in the airport.  We are staying here: http://www.riu.com/en-us/Paises/aruba/palmbeach/hotel-riu-palace-aruba/index.jsp Cannot wait! Good luck in your choice!
  • Options
    I was actually In Hawaii in October as well! I have also been to Aruba. Hands down I would rather go back to Hawaii then Aruba. Since you have already been to Oahu try exploring the other islands.  Good Luck!
  • Options
    I have not had the pleasure of visiting Aruba, but I have visited many of the Hawaiian islands (most recently was Maui, which my FI and I have vacationed on twice in the last 5 years, and Oahu, Kauai, and the Big Island years ago on family vacations). I love Hawaii! My fiance and I are actually going to Kauai for 10 days for our HM in late May/ early June, but we live in AZ, so airfare is cheaper and travel time is shorter for us than it would be from the east coast.

P.S.- this is off topic, but you are getting married on the same day as my little brother and his fiance. 10-2 is also my FMIL's bday. I hope that 10-2 is an incredible day for you!! And I am sure you will have a wonderful HM no matter which island you and your FI decide on.:)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I know wherever we decide will be wonderful. The travel time to Hawaii is definitely an issue for me...not so much for him. We'll be on our honeymoon for 6 days so I think I can count at least one of those days out if we go to Hawaii. We still have a lot to think about! I hope all of you have a blast on yours! Thanks, again!
  • Options
    FI and will be on our honeymoon to Aruba in June! We are staying at the Riu. He has been to Hawaii and although he said it was gorgeous not having an all inclusive and the long flight was enough to steer us away. I agree if you aren't leaning more towards one I would research your options and go with what you feel will work best for you and your FI. GL
  • Options
    Now, I LOVE Hawai'i. Love it, but if you're only going for 6 days, I'd lean towards Aruba. The travel time both coming and going (since most departures are red eyes out) just cut into the fun too much.
  • Options
    I've been to Maui and it was absolutely wonderful. However, it is definitely a long flight from the east coast. i was flying from Boston at the time and it was almost 13 hours of travel to get there.

I'm definitely pro-trying a new place on each vacation, if possible. I like exploring new places, even if it is another island. There's something exhilirating about being somewhere you've never experienced before.

I am getting married in Aruba and will be there for 7 nights. We've only been there on a cruise for 6 or so hours. It was really beautiful and so many people I know are repeat visitors. According to tripadvisor, it actually is the caribbean island with the most repeat visitors. There will definitely be good snorkeling and beaches. We're staying at the Manchebo in the low rise section.

It's ultimately up to you. Don't stress about the decision too much. You & fi will have a wonderful time no matter where you are--it is your HM after all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards