Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Please Help Me Choose My Main Courses

Everyone was so helpful with helping me choose hors d'oeuvres that I figured I'd survey all of you on another reception food question.  My guests will be given the choice of a chicken, fish, and beef option.  (There is a vegetarian option of Baked Manicotti as well.)  These are most of the choices that I have to choose from at my venue.  If you could pick just one of each, what would it be?  And yes, price is a big consideration. 

Chicken

Chicken Cordon Bleu - boneless breast of chicken layered with country smoke ham and swiss cheese with a light cream sauce $55.00

Chicken Supreme - boneless breast of chicken baked with seasoned bread crumbs with supreme sauce served over rice $55.00

Chicken Marsala - sautéed breast of chicken with mushroom and marsala wine sauce $55.00

Chicken Florentine - boneless breast of chicken over a bed of seasoned spinach and bacon topped with a light
supreme sauce and parmesan cheese $55.00

Chicken Francaise - sautéed chicken finished with a white wine sauce with butter and lemon $55.00

Stuffed Chicken - boneless breast of chicken with bread stuffing and light cream sauce or apricot glaze $55.00

Cornish Game Hen - individually stuffed with wild rice finished with a nectar glaze $55.00

Seafood

Sole Francaise - filet of sole sautéed with white wine and lemon on a bed of rice $57.00

Boston Baked Scrod - fresh Atlantic scrod topped with seasoned bread crumbs in lemon butter and white wine sauce over rice $62.00

Atlantic Swordfish - grilled with herb butter, white wine, and lemon garnished with dill and parsley over rice $62.00

Salmon will Dill - poached or grilled in a court bouillon with lemon, draped in a creamy dill sauce over rice $62.00

Baked Stuffed Shrimp - jumbo shrimp with crabmeat stuffing served with drawn butter and lemon over rice $68.00

Beef

Delmonico Steak - charbroiled with fresh mushroom demiglaze $63.00

Prime Rib - 16oz prime rib au jus $65.00

Filet Mignon - broiled with fresh mushroom demiglaze $68.00

Gorgonzola Stuffed Filet - center cut filet mignon stuffed with gorgonzola cheese topped with fresh mushroom demiglaze $70.00

Re: Please Help Me Choose My Main Courses

• anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicken Florentine

Atlantic Swordfish

Filet Mignon

For the veggie option, I'd try to find something that was dairy-free as well
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicken: Cornish Game Hen

Seafood: Baked Stufed Shrimp

Beef: Prime Rib (Just because it was the only one cooked without mushrooms)

I agree that I would make the veggie option dairy free to make sure it's also vegan.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't eat meat, so I have no opinion there.

The Swordfish for sure!

• edited December 2011
    Chicken: Cornish Game Hen

Seafood: Baked Stufed Shrimp

Beef:
    Delmonico Steak

Maybe serve with greens... just a thought
    10.2011 Siggy
    BM Dresses
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    *Updated 1/21*
  • edited December 2011

The chicken supreme, salmon and prime rib
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicken Cordon Bleu

Grilled Salmon

Prime Rib
  • LyladLylad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stuffed Chicken with apricot glaze

(I don't eat fish, so no opinion.)

Filet Mignon
  • edited December 2011
    Chicken Francaise - sautéed chicken finished with a white wine sauce with butter and lemon $55.00

Salmon will Dill - poached or grilled in a court bouillon with lemon, draped in a creamy dill sauce over rice $62.00

Filet Mignon - broiled with fresh mushroom demiglaze $68.00
  • edited December 2011

Chicken Marsala

Salmon with Dill

Either Prime Rib or Filet Mignon

For the vegetarian option I'd consider doing a vegetable stack rather than the pasta, it just seems a bit "fancier."  My daughter served either salmon, prime rib or the vegetable stack and then all of the entrees had the same sides.  It just made everything a bit more cohesive.

• edited December 2011
    Chicken Florentine

Salmon w/ Dill- I feel that people who like fish usually like Salmon. But OMG the shrimp sound AWESOME (just the most $$$ option!)

Prime Rib

These all sound delicious and I think they'd be crowd pleasers. There are alot of options with mushrooms but I know some people ( I know this applies to me!) are not mushroom lovers.

I also agree with the others about the dairy free option in case someone is vegan.

Good luck with choosing! Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • smarko68smarko68 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    chicken francaise, salmon, and filet mignon--all yummy!
  • edited December 2011
    Chicken Florentine

Atlantic Swordfish

Filet Mignon
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Chicken Supreme - boneless breast of chicken baked with seasoned bread crumbs with supreme sauce served over rice

Salmon will Dill - poached or grilled in a court bouillon with lemon, draped in a creamy dill sauce over rice (the stuffed shrimp does so amazing as well...but it is the pricest..and i do agree with some of the other posters that salmon is usually an overall favorite when it comes to fish eaters?)

and for the Red Meat choice - the Gorgonzola stuffed filet looks absolutely incredible, but I know everybody is not a fan of gorgonzola, so the second choice would be the filet mignon (for price too).
  • tlc320tlc320 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicken:  Chicken Cordon Bleu (It's a classic without any overpowering flavors that some people might not like)

Seafood:  The Stuffed Shrimp

Beef:  Prime Rib (Again a classic that everyone who enjoys beef wouldn't have a problem with.)

Vegetarian:  Maybe something without dairy, a simple tomato basil sauce over bow-tie pasta with a nice bread on the side.

:)
  • edited December 2011
    Cornish Hen, Salmon and Prime Rib
  • sararv03sararv03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Chicken Florentine

GRILLED Salmon

Prime Rib (bc lots of ppl do not  like mushrooms or else I would go with Filet)

Everything sounds amazing though....

• starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicken Cordon Bleu

I don't eat fish so I'm not much help there...

Prime Rib

I think your vegetarian option is just fine; however, you could also consider an eggplant parmagiana.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    oh my god, I am drooling! 
    chicken florentine, stuffed shrimp, and the gorgonzola stuffed filet.
    of course, the seafood and steak options I like best are the most expenisve...they ALL sounded good though!
  • DezirayMDezirayM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, those are a lot of options.  I'd stick with something more mainstream to appeal to the broadest number of people, but wouldn't do the swordfish.  There have previously been warnings about high mercury content and decimated numbers due to overfishing.  I'd stick with the salmon or shrimp.
  • edited December 2011
    Stuffed Chicken with Apricot
    Swordfish
    Any of the beef options would work, but I would say the filet sounds like my fav
  • wegsmomwegsmom member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would go with:

Chicken Supreme (would stay away from mixing ham and chicken, if you're worried about those who don't eat pork)
    Salmon (but only if it's in seaon, otherwise the shrimp)
    Prime Rib (always a safe option)

I agree with the others about offering a vegetarian option that is also vegan.

Best Wishes!
  • edited December 2011
    Chicken Florentine  (who doesnt like bacon!)

Atlantic Swordfish  (Sole and Scrod sound nasty, even though i know they are not, and i know a lot of people that dislike Salmon)

Filet Migno (you only order this when someone else is paying- so indulgent! and honestly Prime Rib absolutely grosses me out!)
  • carolinaila10carolinaila10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    chicken cordon bleu
    shrimp (i live at the beach, everyone wants shrimp i feel like haha)
    prime rib

Mr. & Mrs. REB
  • edited December 2011
    chicken francaise
    atlantic swordfish
    prime rib

i'd go with dishes that are a little on the lighter side rather than the stuff that's heavy on sauces, cheese, bread, etc. since your guests will likely have eaten already at the cocktail hour. 
  • edited December 2011
    Everything Sounds delicious!
    I'd go with chicken florentine, salmon, and filt mignon or prime rib. (I personally would probably choose prime rib for the lower price and people will still be just as impressed!)

I was also at a wedding one time where prime rib was an option and everyone at our table got it. No one was asked if they had a preference to how they would like theirs cooked and they all came out rare in a puddle of blood. I usually order prime rib more pink than I would any other beef, but that was a bit much, and most people couldn't eat it.  The couple wound up spending a lot of money on entrees that weren't eaten. Perhaps you should double check if they are willing to cook to prefererce (or atleast to a temp most people can stomach!) to avoid any problems like this.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd try to cover your bases.

Cornish Game Hen for foodies, because (as a foodie myself) I think it looks like the most interesting and unusual option.  I find "boneless chicken breast + blah" options incredibly boring, myself!

Salmon with Dill for health-conscious people, because it sounds nice and light (especially if the sauce isn't overwhelming), and swordfish can be very high in mercury.

Prime Rib as a nice familiar option for meat-and-potatoes people.  Filet Mignon would be perfectly fine for this as well; I just personally like the deeper flavor of prime rib better.
  • lharri12lharri12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would NOT do the Chicken Cordon Bleu because it is often filled with grease, so when you cut into it, it squirts grease on your clothes!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Chicken florentine
    Salmon will dill
    Filet mignon (without mushrooms)
  • edited December 2011
    Chicken Marsala, sorry I don't eat the others :) I would like the baked Manicotti actually.
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did Chicken Cordon Bleu at my wedding and it was perfect - no grease squirting onto clothes.  If it's cooked correctly, that shouldn't happen.  If you want to know how your location will serve the meal, simply ask for a tasting prior to finalizing the menu.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards