• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
April 2011 Weddings

books

morning ladies! for some non-GTG talk ... do you prefer to read books that you love over again, or just read new books? every time i go on vacation i'm torn by this.
on the one hand, if i know i love the book, i will definitely enjoy it. on the other hand, if you try something new and love it, it might become a new fav. but if it stinks, you're bummed out on vacation.
Anniversary image<br

Re: books

• I have only read a handful of books more than twice (Harry Potter series and a few others here and there).  I tend to stick with authors I like (David Baldacci, Jasper Fforde, Sarah Vowell) or ones recommended by friends that know what I like.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I typically bring new books with me.  There are very few that I disliked so much that I wished I hadn't even picked them up so I'm usually safe.  Like K, I tend to keep picking up books by authors I'm already familiar with and know I enjoy. 

If you want recommendations though, here's my list partial list of great reads:  :)

The Book Thief
    A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
    Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood
    The Next Thing On My List
    To Be Sung Underwater
    The Princess Bride

Pretty much anything by James Patterson (except Toys - it was horrible)
    Robert Ludlum and Scott Turow are also pretty safe choices for spy or legal thrillers. 
  • I tend to branch out and try new books...but if I'm going to be stuck on a plane for a long time I'm always sure that I have a backup book in case I don't like my new book adventure :)
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • i'm thinking of re-reading "little earthquakes" by jennifer weiner. i love her. i have read the book twice, both times on CD, but i'm thinking of buying a kindle version. decisions, decisions.
    thanks for that list, i am checking them out on amazon as we type!
    Anniversary image<br
  • I honestly can not think of one book that I have read more than once. But that's just my preference....once I know the ending, I'm satisfied and ready to move on to the next adventure. If I'm trying a new author out on a trip, I would usually bring along a backup. However, like Colleen, I haven't met many books that felt like total time-wasters. (although, Wicked just recently made that list for me. Awful).

Kindle is my recent best friend...you can take tons of books with you in one little tiny slim casing.

*Disclaimer: this is not a paid endorsement for Kindle ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wicked is awful. Musical is amazing but the book? Blech.
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Wicked WAS terrible!!! i kept waiting for it to get good but it never did!!!! yuck.
    Anniversary image<br
  • Wicked was ok - but the sequel (Son of a Witch) was one fo the worst reads of my life!  The third book in the series (A Lion Among Men) was a little better.
  • I loved Wicked.  :(  I didn't even finish Son of a Witch K - that one was horrible. 

Under The Tuscan Sun was also a huge disappointment - especially because I love the movie so much. 
  • i shouldn't say wicked was terrible. i just hated it.
    Anniversary image<br
  • Especially when compared to the musical. It was just a total disappointment.
  • I forced myself to finish son... - it took months....
  • Yes, compared to the musical, it doesn't stand a chance.  I read the book before I saw the play so maybe that helped. 
  • I don't think I've ever re-read a book. Like Courtney, once I know the ending I'm good. And even though I won't re-read something I still can't part with my books! I have 6 glorious shelves filled, most of which I have NOT read, ironically, but I just can't get rid of them! I loan them out on occasion though. And I will bring at least 2 books with me on vacation, sometimes more. Ya know, in case I finish one... And then depending on my mood I can choose which one I'll start next. I would be a prime candidate for an e-reader, but I don't want one. I much prefer my papersmell, pages, bindings, bookmarks... Ahhhhhh
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • Stupid TK is eating posts...

Ape, you'll be so proud of me, I'm actually using a bookmark now instead of dog-earing my pages. 
  • Good thing Colleen, I would have had to buy you one. I am bring ing a new bookmark with me this trip, that I know everyone will enjoy. :)
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • I'm intrigued Ape. 

• Me too, April...intrigued.

P.S. someone please teach me how to center my picture caption in my siggy. Last request for computer lessons I promise. I'm feeling like an old lady...I thought I knew this stuff lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have no clue Court.  :(
  • Court, this may or may not work...

When you go into the "update signature" html box...
    type <br /> after the code for your photo, but before the text "an oldie but goodie".

That should split them onto two lines, thereby centering each.
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • April, you've come to my rescue yet again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yay! I wasn't sure if it would. I guess I'm HTML smarter than I thought!
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • HTML balla Ape!

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

• I'm not a rereader either.  There are very few books that deserve to be reread (gone with the wind is one I have read like 6 times)

I'm so glad you all didn't like wiked too.  I felt like I was the only one.  I was so disappointed and wanted to like it, but i just couldn't.
  • In Response to Re: books:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a rereader either.  There are very few books that deserve to be reread (gone with the wind is one I have read like 6 times) I'm so glad you all didn't like wiked too.  I felt like I was the only one.  I was so disappointed and wanted to like it, but i just couldn't.
    Posted by seprincipe[/QUOTE]
    I saw that book.  My sis read it, and it took her like 9 months to get through the whole thing because it was so thick.  I applaud you for being able to read it SIX times!

funny_zpsd60c785f

• In Response to Re: books:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: books : I saw that book.  My sis read it, and it took her like 9 months to get through the whole thing because it was so thick.  I applaud you for being able to read it SIX times!
    Posted by LDMainsy[/QUOTE]
    Have you never read it?  Its such a great story.  And so much better than the movie.  It doesn't take much to read - its not like The Stand (that book took me years to read...  and I still have no idea why i bothered finishing it)
  • Gone With the Wind is a great book!  I've actually considered reading that one again.  :)
    Laura, you can borrow it if you want! 
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • I'll have to borrow it, but I can't promise you that I'll get it back to you within a year ;)
    My sister kept me up to speed as she went through it, and there is SO much more that goes on that what is shown in the movie.  I guess that's usually the norm with books vs. movies.   I'm excited to read it though!

funny_zpsd60c785f

• I love re-reading the books I have. I have probably re-read most of the books I own at least 4 times each. I don't come across bad books often but it happens so I take them to the used book store and get about half of what I paid for them so I feel it isn't a whole waste.

One book that is a good book but it is taking me forever to read is Anna Karinina. It is just long and can be long winded at times so I take a break from it now and then.

I actually own an old copy of Gone with the Wind but have never read it. So now I'm going to have to give it a try from Sarah's recommendation! I Love the movie so if the book is even better I will have to pick that up next!
    Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • i'm surprised people don't reread more, i love rereading books! to me it's like visiting with an old friend. i love doing that.
    Anniversary image<br
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards