Connecticut
Options

Cocktail Reception Back Home

Please give suggestions!  I'm getting married in Mexico and that was supposed to be it.   My mom was kind of upset because not everyone will be able to make it.  So my fiance and I are thinking of doing a cocktail reception when we get home.  We just want it to be simple and affordable since we weren't planning on having one in the first place.  I just don't know how detailed a party back home is supposed to be.  Is it supposed to be like a full blown wedding reception or what??!!  I found a package at one place that seems like it would be nice.  Just open bar, appetizers and two stations.  We still need to price it out in full.  But would we get a DJ too? And how do you send invites? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I know that this will make my mom really happy (Since she is paying for the Mexico wedding).  What would you all do?

Re: Cocktail Reception Back Home

• Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At home receptions are very popular for people who do destionation weddings.  I don't think it has to be a full out wedding reception, I think it can be what you're comfortable with.

I've even seen people do back yard BBQ's just so friends and family can all get together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what Vikki says.  We're doing a similar thing for our rehearsal dinner... it's cocktails, passed apps w/ displayed apps and a few stations.  There will be plenty of food, but it's a more informal atmosphere.

How many people are you thinking of having?  If it was me, I'd probably do something less formal, and not a full on reception w/ DJ, cake cutting, photographers, videographers, etc.  I mean... you're not going to wear your wedding dress are you?  This is more of a celebration of your marriage for those that couldn't go to Mexico rather than the reception after your nuptuals when you cut the cake, have your first dance, etc.  I do, however, feel that you need to be careful with these types of things because you do want to really take care of your guests.  Most likely they will bring you gifts, so you want to make sure that you're also giving them a real meal. (although, it doesn't sound like you're trying to skirt that).
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    congrats, i went to my cousins backyard wedding she got married at a church then went to her husbands parents house and did the reception there. she had tents up, tables and chairs set up with rented linens, home made centerpieces she had a catered buffett dinner and pasta stations. it was very very nice. she didnt have a dj. she had her ipod hooked up to big speakers and  everyone was up dancing. and of course wedding cake. but u can do it whater way u like, backyard receptions are nice because u can decorate it whatever way u like and i suggest to do ur own centerpieces, favors if ur doing them, on ur own. just google or youtube it and u will find it. u can go to gigmasters.com and they can find whatever type of entertainment ur looking for, maybe u can hire a small band or group, i dont know what ur budget is like but there are many artists to choose from...good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards