Snarky Brides

The BMI is stupid

DH got denied additional life insurance coverage, one reason being his bmi is in the obese range.  Umm, yeah, no.  He's 5'5" and stocky, muscular, 180 pounds.  To get him into the "not obese" range, he'd have to drop 30 pounds, and weigh almost as little as me.  What a friggin joke, how do they still use this thing anymore?  He'd be a scrawny little malnourished skeleton at that weight.  Stupid.

Any other rants on this fine, snowy Saturday?

Re: The BMI is stupid

• I hear you on the BMI thing. It's one of the worst 'scales' to judge a person's health on. Hell, according to my BMI, I'm borderline overweight. Which is complete crap being that I'm in the fitness industry and I carry more muscle than the 'average woman'.
  • edited November 2010
    Judging by your sig picture, if you are "borderline overweight," then my BMI is "cow."

It's a pretty stupid measure of fitness, or whatever the point is...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gah, Mocha. I freaking hate that. I remember the first time I got on the WIi Fit, and it said "You are obese". And I cried. It was horrible.

I hate my coworker. With a passion. She's a blundering idiot, and doesn't know how to take constructive criticism, and she's a shiittalker. I freaking hate her.
  • According to the BMI I am underweight and my doctor constantly harps on me for that. She wanted me to gain like 15 pounds. I'm about 5'2 to 5'3, and it's not like I look like a freakin skeleton. I eat healthy and watch what I eat.

And yeah, it never takes muscle into consideration. It's definitely a flawed system.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bmi-stupid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5ba219d-dd7a-4d6c-aee2-1adc7236bf5dPost:4527ed0c-e16f-42f0-9b9e-13a9f907827e">Re: The BMI is stupid</a>:
    [QUOTE]Judging by your sig picture, if you are "borderline overweight," then my BMI is "cow." It's a pretty stupid measure of fitness, or whatever the point is...
    Posted by NatandIsaac[/QUOTE]
    Haha, this made me laugh.  Me too.

And my rant is at the weather.  It is gorgeous out right now and you guys have snow.  We better not be gettign that snow soon, unless it results in a snow day, in which case, I'm all for it!
  • Yeah I think (and most RDs) BMI  is bogus but that is still how RD's & us RD students calculate healthy body weight for people. I think a electric density measurment is a better tool but it's expensive.
  • I seriously don't understand why we still use this method since it has been proven to be ineffective on some people.
  • Even at the lowest weight ive ever been, where in my opinion I was on the thinner end and healthy, I was classified as just shy of obese because of my height. Whatevs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bmi-stupid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5ba219d-dd7a-4d6c-aee2-1adc7236bf5dPost:4527ed0c-e16f-42f0-9b9e-13a9f907827e">Re: The BMI is stupid</a>:
    [QUOTE]Judging by your sig picture, if you are "borderline overweight," then my BMI is "cow." It's a pretty stupid measure of fitness, or whatever the point is...
    Posted by NatandIsaac[/QUOTE]

lol. Just goes to show how stupid this 'system' is. I say, if you look in the mirror and you're happy (and of course feel like you're healthy) then that's what matters. Not some stupid BMI number or a number on the scale.
  • My BMI said I was obese.. I have had 3 kids im 5'4 and weight 120 lbs.. and work out every day... um.. I cried too when I was told this :(

My rant for the day.. I have been at work for 7 hours and have another 3 hours to go due to "surprise" inventory .. I missed my very first venue appointment *sniffle*
  • I don't weight myself, and I haven't in years. I don't own a scale.  I used to check my weight obsessively, and ya know what? I totally love not knowing now. I don't have to  freak out about it anymore.

My rant is my hangover, but it is a just punishment.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bmi-stupid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5ba219d-dd7a-4d6c-aee2-1adc7236bf5dPost:285acb5b-dcb0-4be7-bb08-d40aa2940a5f">Re: The BMI is stupid</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't weight myself, and I haven't in years. I don't own a scale.  I used to check my weight obsessively, and ya know what? I totally love not knowing now. I don't have to  freak out about it anymore. My rant is my hangover, but it is a just punishment.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Me too Jas! (The semi-hungover part.)
  • I slept in long enough not to be hungover :).  Even though I didn't drink that much, I feel it so much more now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bmi-stupid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5ba219d-dd7a-4d6c-aee2-1adc7236bf5dPost:2d71470b-847b-43b1-9d3a-2611c97f8989">Re: The BMI is stupid</a>:
    [QUOTE]My BMI said I was obese.. I have had 3 kids im 5'4 and weight 120 lbs.. and work out every day... um.. I cried too when I was told this :( My rant for the day.. I have been at work for 7 hours and have another 3 hours to go due to "surprise" inventory .. I missed my very first venue appointment *sniffle*
    Posted by undyingmizery[/QUOTE]

What BMI calculator were you using? Mine has you pegged as 20.6 which is on the lower end of healthy.
  • I have a headache, not a hangover though.
  • I have pretty much stopped weighing myself as well.  I know what jiggles and what doesn't, putting a number to it just stresses me out.  Now if I could just get my MOH to stop weighing herself and announcing her weight to me everyday I could let it all go. Undecided 

My rant is I just finished my box of Hello Panda and I want more!  WTF delicious cookie things.  
  • I weigh myself weekly because I'm trying to lose, but try not to obsess over the numbers. Mostly it's just how jiggly certain body parts of mine are at the moment.
    People also say to measure yourself which made me insanely depressed throughout the weight loss process. Even when I was dropping weight my measurements didn't change at all for some reason.
  • I find the mental aspect that goes along with the number on the scale is far trickier to guage than anything else. Lastnight I felt like a major heifer, I was depressed and felt gigantic. Today I weigh myself and had lost a fair bit in the past week and immediately felt perfectly fine. Its stupid, but thats our brain for you.
  • When I had my BMI done at the gym, I was borderline 'normal' and 'overweight', yet I still don't weigh enough to donate blood.  There's definitely something wrong with that system.
    Anniversary
  • BMI is currently being questioned by many Doctors, but the insurance industry remains addicted to it.

There is also some feeling in the medical community that the risks of being overweight, even "obese" (whatever the bleep that means anymore!) have been grossly overstated with "research" that lumped people  who were 20 pounds overweight with people who were no kidding 200 pounds overweight - among numerous other flaws in the studies. 

Don't even get me started on how "health" seems to be primarily the axe that is held over women's heads about weight - your H's insurance issues not withstanding. Truth be told, if he really were "obese", his odds of dying in the next 20 years from that would likely be lower than if he was one of those people who was always getting speeding tickets.

I am NOT advocating being fat-thin is and will always be more healthy BUT it seems that we have gone weight crazy, right at a time that people are getting heavier and heavier yet average weight continues to increase. Never has there been so much hysteria about weight, yet people have never been so large. Something is deeply messed up here.
  • I'm overweight/obese and I think that's crap.  Yes, I weigh more that the average person who is my height, but I also do the same training that I used to do in the army and can still pass a standard PT test with flying colors.  Last month I did one for fun, I did 57 sit ups in 2 min, 49 push ups in 2 min, and did a 2 mile run in 17 min.  I don't think I'm out of shape.
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BMI is a ridiculous criteria.  The only plus is that it's easy to measure - which is why it's widely used.  I'm considered 'obese', yet I wear a size 10 pants and can ride my bicycle 100 miles anytime.  I work out 5-6 days a week.  BMI does not take any level of fitness into consideration.  So the fact that I'm 'denser' (for lack of a better term) than the average person (whatever that is) because I cycle and have decent quads/glutes is held against me in a BMI measurement.  I was required to go on weight watchers to get our wellness incentive at work because I'm 'obese'.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • My rant is...my FI is 5'5" and weighs 130 pounds, and I don't think he looks like a malnourished skeleton at all.  He is my little powerhouse, and I love him just the way he is.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bmi-stupid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5ba219d-dd7a-4d6c-aee2-1adc7236bf5dPost:c03b7d24-e907-45a3-960a-e566d29bf230">Re: The BMI is stupid</a>:
    [QUOTE]My rant is...my FI is 5'5" and weighs 130 pounds, and I don't think he looks like a malnourished skeleton at all.  He is my little powerhouse, and I love him just the way he is.
    Posted by leayn[/QUOTE]

<div>H is 5'5 and 130-134 all the time. He works at it. Rides his bike to work everyday, eats very carefully. Not scrawny at all just little.</div>
  • My H is 6'2 and 170, and that is after a lot of fattening up. This past spring he was 150 and way too thin, only 13% bodyfat.
  • Don't worry I'm obese too according to the BMI.  According to the BMI chart I should weight 90 lbs.  What grown woman do you know that weighs 90 and isn't ill?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bmi-stupid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5ba219d-dd7a-4d6c-aee2-1adc7236bf5dPost:5f61d0ef-0b71-48b2-8b5d-7ad3a9683f2f">The BMI is stupid</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH got denied additional life insurance coverage, one reason being his bmi is in the obese range.  Umm, yeah, no.  He's 5'5" and stocky, muscular, 180 pounds.  To get him into the "not obese" range, he'd have to drop 30 pounds, and weigh almost as little as me.  What a friggin joke, how do they still use this thing anymore?  He'd be a scrawny little malnourished skeleton at that weight.  Stupid. Any other rants on this fine, snowy Saturday?
    Posted by mocha beans[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>He should be able to argue it, but he'll have to do blood and urine. He might get a better rating anyway with that. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>My rant is that I can't get over my photographer not taking pictures of us coming back up the aisle. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Oh and according to my BMI, I'm overweight. I'm thinking that might just be true now. Darn confetti cake. </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards