Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Traditional Wedding Cake vs Cupcake Wedding Cake

My fiance and myself are giving this alot of thought, I am not really doing a "traditional" wedding, so we've been looking alot into the cup cake wedding cake, has anyone done this or seen this done? Any advice would be so very helpful :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Traditional Wedding Cake vs Cupcake Wedding Cake

• Yep, we're doing it and I've seen it done. We are ordering a 6" round cake for the top layer so we can do a regular cake cutting (which fi really wants), but I've seen them cut a cupcake too, or even just feed eachother cupcake, either way works! It sure cuts down on cake cutting/serving fuss, and it's a bunch cheaper at our bakery so that's a plus as well!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • When my friends got married a couple of years ago, they had a small personal wedding cake for cutting (I don't even know if it was any bigger than an 8" round), and then a small cupcake tree on every table for guests.

Alternatively, I have another friend who, last I heard, is just going to do small (6-8") cakes on each table and forgo the big cake.

Cupcakes are usually cheaper, but don't always assume they are.  Some places around here charge up to $5 per cupcake, and I would guess it could get higher in bigger cities.  Fillings and flowers and designs and chocolate and fondant shapes/monograms/etc can add to cost, if you go that route.  Cupcakes can be a lot of labor for the decorator, so that could add to the cost as well (I personally would rather decorate a big cake than a bunch of cupcakes)
  • we are doing a traditional 3 tier cake and instead of sheet cakes we are doing cupcakes... the best of both worlds!!! Laughing
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • We had cupcakes in stead of a traditional wedding cake.  H and I met with our baker and picked 5 different flavors for the cupcakes.  We also had a small 6" cake on top for us to cut.

Here is a pic...

• I want to do the tiers but didn't know if it was that popular, but I guess it is. My colors are ivory, black and Kentucky Blue (Fiance is a HUGE Wildcat fan) and I am trying to decide how to do this cause I don't want people to have black teeth or blue teeth from the icing .. haha he thinks it will be funny. Thanks for the help
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_traditional-wedding-cake-vs-cupcake-wedding-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b2f7f708-b18b-4fd6-8c22-c83d8563dcc1Post:cfae5005-f4e4-42cd-a8d2-c43d29473354">Re: Traditional Wedding Cake vs Cupcake Wedding Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want to do the tiers but didn't know if it was that popular, but I guess it is. My colors are ivory, black and Kentucky Blue (Fiance is a HUGE Wildcat fan) and I am trying to decide how to do this cause I don't want people to have black teeth or blue teeth from the icing .. haha he thinks it will be funny. Thanks for the help
    Posted by CMKMCK[/QUOTE]

You could just use cupcake liners in those colors.  At a glance, you see more of the side of the cupcake than the top.
  • [QUOTE]I want to do the tiers but didn't know if it was that popular, but I guess it is. My colors are ivory, black and Kentucky Blue (Fiance is a HUGE Wildcat fan) and I am trying to decide how to do this cause I don't want people to have black teeth or blue teeth from the icing .. haha he thinks it will be funny. Thanks for the help
    Posted by CMKMCK[/QUOTE]

I second the notion of black and blue liners, maybe with ivory colored icing.  You could also see if the bakery has the option to airbrush the color.  You don't get as much of that "black frosting taste".  On the downside, the color isn't as strong as if it was a solidly colored icing.

You could also see about getting a small decoration, like a small fondant flower or your last initial, on top of the cupcakes.  Those could be in your darker colors.
  • Cupcakes may as well be traditional wedding cake as often as they're done now.  I still prefer regular cake because on the whole it tends to be moister and there's less icing. 
  • We thought about cupcakes, but I like the traditional tiered cake.  Cupcakes are cute though and probably easier since you don't have to cut them to serve them.  

About them being cheaper, it depends on the baker and the cupcakes you want.  They can be cheaper sometimes, and sometimes they can be just as expensive as a regular wedding cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • If you Google 'cupcake tower,' you'll get millions of hits. Cupcake towers are increasingly popular for weddings. We also had one & it was great. We did 3 flavors on 5 tiers. The last tier was a 6" cake that we cut (and ate the rest of at our 1mo anniversary). 
  • This is one of the prettiest cupcake displays I have seen!!! I LOVE it! n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_traditional-wedding-cake-vs-cupcake-wedding-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:b2f7f708-b18b-4fd6-8c22-c83d8563dcc1Post:72be2429-ba3d-4e79-9193-6fe292335572">Re: Traditional Wedding Cake vs Cupcake Wedding Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had cupcakes in stead of a traditional wedding cake.  H and I met with our baker and picked 5 different flavors for the cupcakes.  We also had a small 6" cake on top for us to cut. Here is a pic...
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
  • Well we went with the traditional wedding cake lol even after this, I'm getting so excited I get married next month.. lol 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards