Wedding Etiquette Forum

Irrational Fears

Re: Irrational Fears

• This isn't too irrational because there are a lot of crazy people out there, but I am terrified that I will be kidnapped.  I get anxiety even thinking about it.

Also- I have to check the back seat of my car and underneath my car as I approach/before I get in.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:b825ac41-d093-4819-a11d-b757846e540f">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Escalators, just the ones that go down.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too! As a kid I watched Rescue 911, and there was an episode where a kid sat on one, and had to get cut out of the machine because his clothes got stuck and his circulation was being cut off.</div><div>
    </div><div>May not be so irrational...</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hated overpasses and tunnels for the longest time.  I still do.  Especially when pieces of tunnels, etc. have fallen on and killed people while driving.  If you see an old as heck Acrua doing 90 through the tunnels in Boston, that would be me.
  • Wally- I think he had minor injuries at the time but he doesn't remember much. His mom and grandma were there and were traumatized since he got stuck until firefighters could come and save him. He says he is pissed that his parents didn't sue the city so that he could have money now, haha.

AATB -- FVCK MOTHS. Seriously. I turn into an insane woman if there is one in our house. They have no rhyme or reason to their flight.
  • My mind pretty much hits overdrive over tiny things.  Notice a crack in the dirt?  There is a massive sink hole underneath.  One tire has different pressure?  It's gonna shred to pieces on the interstate.  See a bee fly by?  A hundred more are following him and will eat me for dinner.  And I'm always picturing terrible things happening.  Bombs at baseball games.  People getting hit by a bus right in front of me.  Someone coming into the grocery store with a gun.  Someone barging into our house and raping me at night.

I can think of a million terrible things that can happen to me or around me.  It's kind of miserable sometimes.
    panther
  • edited August 2012
    Two days ago was the 5 year anniversary of the big bridge collapse here. As I've said before, I saw it collapse in my side windows and holy shiiit it was scary. J has done bridge engineering at school and he hates bridges because of it.
  • Beachy - I also think of escape plans too.  Driving, or what if I'm walking down the street and someone grabs me, or what if I have to get out of a building quickly.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:f223d849-f77b-4ffb-b5df-562b2764d6ba">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mind pretty much hits overdrive over tiny things.  Notice a crack in the dirt?  There is a massive sink hole underneath.  One tire has different pressure?  It's gonna shred to pieces on the interstate.  See a bee fly by?  A hundred more are following him and will eat me for dinner.  <strong>And I'm always picturing terrible things happening.  Bombs at baseball games.  People getting hit by a bus right in front of me.  Someone coming into the grocery store with a gun.  Someone barging into our house and raping me at night. I can think of a million terrible things that can happen to me or around me.  It's kind of miserable sometimes.</strong>
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep.  And this is where I get my assessing the situation from.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Along the lines of the cement truck, every time I am behind a truck with ladders or something sticking out the back, or a semi, I am always afraid that the ladder/back of truck/whatever is going to come down and crash onto/into my car.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Having my theoretical future children get kidnapped
    Add me to the overpasses/tunnels. I have to go through a tunnel everyday and I swear my heart just stops the whole time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:80b83512-ec27-4c2e-be2c-a05db785eb35">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Yes! And I always have to have the comforter on me. I can't sleep with just as sheet on. I feel too exposed.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]
    Exactly! Sheets are nothing. 

I also can't lay on the couch with my back to the room.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:80b83512-ec27-4c2e-be2c-a05db785eb35">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Yes! And I always have to have the comforter on me. I can't sleep with just as sheet on. I feel too exposed.

I can manage without a comforter if it's warm, but I can't sleep without at least a sheet.  It doesn't even have to be covering me completely.  I just have to feel that it's covering a third of one leg or something, or else it feels weird and I can't sleep.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:2478759d-20a0-4f5e-82da-9ff7f9fc259d">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Toilets freak me out sometimes.  Only because I remember watching an episode of Rescue 9-1-1 as a child and there was a freaking Boa coiled up in someone's toilet.  Apparently it somehow squeezed itself up the pipes and everything from the sewer.  I always perform a snake check, especially if I know it might be awhile.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

I've actually encountered that before.  It's legit.  My grandparent's old farm house - yeah.  They always had garter snakes coming in their bathroom somehow.  Up the toilet, up the sink, through cracks somewhere.  That's not a very welcome sight.
    panther
  • Going down in escalators because I'm afraid of falling.  I really hyperextend my knee joints when I stand, so I'm always standing leaning slightly forward.

Clowns, because they are freaking as shiiit.

Birds because they and I have a mutual hatred of each other.

Mirrors in the dark.  This is because of horrible people doing the Bloody Mary or Candyman thing when I was growing up.  Plus, there always seems to be weird ghostly reflections in the mirror at night.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • 3am

I don't know why but I refuse to get out of bed and freak out when I am awake between 3-4am.  I forgot who/how/where but I was told that it was the devil's hour or witching hour or something like that when spirits are most likely to come out "and play" or whatever spirits do.  Eff that I want to be asleep and unaware during that time thank you very much.  When I am awake during that time I swear I see and hear things.  
  • Oh and before the movie theatre massacre, I always used to think something like that would happen. Or someone would just burst into one of my classrooms when I was in school and start shooting. I always tried to stay furthest away from the door in case I need to use some human sheilds.
  • Also do not like being on or under bridges. Especially being stopped on or under one. It's a bad scene. I especially hate the George Washington bridge lower level because you're on and under one at the same time.

This dates back to the Mianus River bridge collapse from when I was a little kid. All the newspapers had photos of the cars that had driven off it right after the collapse (because of the incline they couldn't see where it was missing ahead of them). So I guess it's not entirely irrational but really the chances of it happening are nil.
  • Being squished between two semis on the highway.
    Contact lenses, because the idea of putting something on my eye freaks me out.
    Sewing machine needles piercing my hand.
  • LTB yep I did see that episode!  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:80b83512-ec27-4c2e-be2c-a05db785eb35">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:

<div>Oh man. I remember running and leaping into bed from about three feet away so the creepers surely lurking under it couldn't grab my ankles and pull me under there with them!</div>
  • edited August 2012
    This is a rational fear I think but I am deathly afraid of drowning in my car.  It happens a lot back home.  A friend of mine from high school went that way, and so did one of my sister's friends.  In fact she almost lost three friends that way.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:a31aacf3-7944-478b-9d7e-659081d72fbc">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also do not like being on or under bridges. Especially being stopped on or under one. It's a bad scene. I especially hate the George Washington bridge lower level because you're on and under one at the same time. This dates back to the Mianus River bridge collapse from when I was a little kid. All the newspapers had photos of the cars that had driven off it right after the collapse (because of the incline they couldn't see where it was missing ahead of them). <strong>So I guess it's not entirely irrational but really the chances of it happening are nil.
    </strong>Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

I think seeing something like that totally affects you though. Like I replay seeing the bridge collapse before my eyes ALL THE TIME. It was like a special effect from a movie.
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    WIlly - DH fell into a manhole when the cover broke, so not walking on grates is very rational.  I won't either.  (He was fine; fortunately it was winter and he had on a large jacket and he caught himself with his arms.

And omg the foot hanging off the bed - NEVER.  It will be grabbed and I will be dragged under the bed into the depths of Hell.
  • AATB-  It's terrifying.  I would not want to see that ish as I'm about to use the bathroom.

Froggie-  We used to do that at my gym for gymnastics.  We weren't officially on the team until we went through the whole Bloody Mary/Candy Man and there were these baby things that eat your toes initiation.  This was in our locker room.  I was forever terrified of the locker room.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:2764d9b9-fc29-45ca-9a26-640d7dcbd7fa">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Well in this situation I would immediately roll down my windows and unbuckle my seatbelt.  Seat belts get stuck under water (at least on TV) and windows don't open til the pressure stabilizes.  So then when you hit the water you just climb out of the car.   See, always thinking about it. 
    Posted by Beachy730[/QUOTE]
    Haha, I know this too. Because I also think about it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:88f6ae54-91a9-4abe-8482-27f7b69127cd">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]3am I don't know why but I refuse to get out of bed and freak out when I am awake between 3-4am.  I forgot who/how/where but I was told that it was the devil's hour or witching hour or something like that when spirits are most likely to come out "and play" or whatever spirits do.  Eff that I want to be asleep and unaware during that time thank you very much.  When I am awake during that time I swear I see and hear things.  

Oh, pretty sure that was me.  You're welcome.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:47a62de6-8cbb-4d7f-8aa5-53a27fbb5330">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is a rational fear I think but I am deathly afraid of drowning in my car.  It happens a lot back home.  A friend of mine from high school went that way, one so did one of my sister's friends.  In fact she almost lost three friends that way.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>I have a glass punch with a slicer dealie on the other end to slit the seat belt in my console. Never needed it, thankfully. </div>
  • Being crushed by semis on the freeway.  I won't drive next to one because I think it will tip over and crush my car.
  • I hate the extremeties off of the bed.  I wrap myself up completely in my comforter every night even in the middle of the summer.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:c5db98f2-4ad6-44c0-a066-f876b2caf5f6">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]AATB-  It's terrifying.  I would not want to see that ish as I'm about to use the bathroom. Froggie-  We used to do that at my gym for gymnastics.  We weren't officially on the team until we went through the whole Bloody Mary/Candy Man and <strong>there were these baby things that eat your toes</strong> initiation.  This was in our locker room.  I was forever terrified of the locker room.

The heck?

I was always too chicken to try the Bloody Mary thing.  Or touch the Ouija board when it briefly became a "thing" among my friends freshman year of college.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards