Wedding Etiquette Forum

I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring

2»

Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-bidding-fis-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2341fc5c-697c-4346-a578-2c4db77a5d08Post:b49c2ad9-93b1-4608-85e2-f442f98babae">Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring : I don't really understand why you would say this.  You can pay any amount you want for a ring.  Even if it's of the same metal - if you've done your research you know that all tungsten carbide rings are not created equal.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I say it because titanium carbide doesn't exist, for one thing, and secondly, I used tow ork at a jewelry store, so yeah.  I know what I'm talking about.  Thanks for playing though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-bidding-fis-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2341fc5c-697c-4346-a578-2c4db77a5d08Post:b49c2ad9-93b1-4608-85e2-f442f98babae">Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring : I don't really understand why you would say this.  You can pay any amount you want for a ring.  Even if it's of the same metal - if you've done your research you know that all tungsten carbide rings are not created equal.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

<div>At jewelry stores, tungsten carbide is pricier than you (or I) think it should be.  Like I said, we got 2 rings for $700, and that was the cheapest we managed.  They're made by Artcarved, though, and we have warranties.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, we had some self-imposed limitations.  I really wanted Celtic knots, and couldn't find these particular rings we agreed on online.  H had never worn jewelry in his life and REQUIRED that he try them on and that they be comfortable enough for him to get used to it.  So online purchasing wasn't much of an option, though it'd have been less expensive.</div><div>
    </div><div>In the end, I don't mind.  We love our rings, and we did end up with rings that neither of us ever removes, except when I clean them (and then I have to force H's off his hand because now he feels strange without it LOL).</div>
  • I won! Woot. If it isn't real, or turns his finger green or red or purple, I'll buy him another ring to replace it since I got such a smokin' deal. :D

• I wasn't really talking about the price.  I was referring more to the descriptions people were posting.   Yes, tungsten (as are most things) is very overpriced in jewelry stores.

It's all about what you are/aren't willing to do for the deal.  My wedding band was purchased on Ebay actually.
  • Ours were dirt cheap (I think 400 for both white gold bands?) which was awesome because our original jeweler messed up the platinum ones we were going to buy (to match my ering) and wanted to charge us 6k, effed up and all.
  • edited March 2010

I presume you mean wedding band and not engagement ring? 

But as for how much we spent, it was something like $1200 if my memory serves me correctly for H's ring (platinum), and was super-cheap for the type of ring we wanted (keeping in mind that our jewellery is more expensive here). The cheapest quote we got from jewellery stores was $2000, so we purchased it online at bluenile (which I would highly recommend- we got my band there too and I love it. I only wish we'd got the e-ring there rather than at the store). 

• we paid $150 for his 6mm 14k white gold band from WalMart(hes super excited we got it from walmart, im not sure why). and mine was $350 for 1/3ct diamonds in white gold from Zales. I would like to think we went the cheaper route. I still wish I had custom made wedding band like my mother had this engagement ring(it's hers, he purchased a new center stone for me).. oh well. maybe for our 5 year anniversary I'll justify dropping some serious dough on it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-bidding-fis-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2341fc5c-697c-4346-a578-2c4db77a5d08Post:49b4c415-bc0a-4047-abb4-36674a858695">Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]I won! Woot. If it isn't real, or turns his finger green or red or purple, I'll buy him another ring to replace it since I got such a smokin' deal. :D
    Posted by Mrs_AF[/QUOTE]

Congrats!  That was the same thinking we had. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-bidding-fis-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2341fc5c-697c-4346-a578-2c4db77a5d08Post:5cd6cf8f-0f13-4c04-b3f6-0cd451291f2d">Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I are planning to order matching sterling silver bands online for $30 each. He works in construction and in his spare time likes to work on cars and bikes, so he wants a soft metal in case he ever got it stuck and needed to cut it off his finger, and something cheap for the same reason.
    Posted by cac847[/QUOTE]

Ditto this!  He wanted gold so we got the cheapest gold band we could and got a lifetime warranty.  Even if he cuts it off they will replace it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My H's band cost a whole whopping $15 from Ebay.. It's titanium and exactly what he wanted, so no complaints over here.

Due March 19, 2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • FI's "practice ring" was $64.99 from Overstock.com and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Rick has never worn jewelry, so he asked if I would buy him one to get used to, and that's where I found the best deal for the one he wanted. He wears it on his right hand right now, and I will get him a different one for when we get married.

He fools with electricity, so precious metals were out of the question if he wanted to wear it at work, which he did. We found the exact same ring, manufacturer and all for $399 at  a local jewelry store, so I get what Amoro is saying.
    Photobucket
  • FI very specifically wants this one:

It's Tungsten with carbon fiber inlay and a diamond.

It's $350 at Jared but I found it on overstock.com for $150

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-bidding-fis-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2341fc5c-697c-4346-a578-2c4db77a5d08Post:7a346954-0bd0-4902-ab24-243ce2c44eec">Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring : Yeah... I say it because titanium carbide doesn't exist, for one thing, and secondly, I used tow ork at a jewelry store, so yeah.  I know what I'm talking about.  Thanks for playing though.
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.  Yes, titanium carbide does exist.
  • FI's ring is a tungsten carbide and cost $100 from designbands.com.

• future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I get the whole shopping-around thing because that's exactly what I've been doing for FI's ring.  He found one in our local jewelry store he loves (tungsten carbide with 3 black diamonds)---$880.  I about hit the roof. 

$195 on Amazon

$185 on Amazon...and this is about exactly what the $880 one looks like

• Somewhere between 5 and 600, I think...still waiting for the exact quote. 

On another note, I think its funny that some couples buy the rings for each other...I didn't know people did this!  We went together for our bands....its all coming out of the same pot anyway. :)
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Amoro-this thread may be dead, but if you happen to see this, I have a question. Anyone else who knows her metals please chime in, too.

Fi wants a simple, plain, gold band.   He likes the color of gold, so he doesn't want a silver or  tungsten or anything else.   Is it better to have to get a 10k gold ring over, say, a 14k gold because the 10k gold is mixed with harder metal(s) and therefore  heartier and longer lasting?  I know a 14k gold has more gold in it and is more valuable because of its gold content, but fi doesn't really care about that.

Would a 10k gold ring wear better because it's not as soft as a 14k?  Or does the 14k ring have other qualities we're not thinking of? 
  • $13.99 on ebay.  Got a tungsten ring for FI, he loves it.

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

• 10K is technically stonger than 14K gold. Over the years both metals will wear the same. Really the decision you have to make is what color yellow do you want the ring to be. If you go to a jewelry store and ask them to put a 10K ring next to a 14K ring you will immediately see the color difference. Both will wear and last a lifetime :)
  • $63. It's that metal I can't think of the name of from buy.com
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • I paid $35 on ebay, including engraving. I felt kinda guilty that it was so cheap, but he wanted a titanium one because he thinks gold is too shiny. If that's what he wants!
  • I made sure my fiance got the ring he wanted.  After all, he's going to be wearing it for a long time!  It was 800 i think,  he wanted to get one that was 200 because he felt bad spending so much on himself, but i made him get the other one.  He liked it so much more!  Smile
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-bidding-fis-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2341fc5c-697c-4346-a578-2c4db77a5d08Post:9e67b3b0-9e71-44d5-8300-2aa77312813a">Re: I'm bidding on FI's engagement ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amoro-this thread may be dead, but if you happen to see this, I have a question. Anyone else who knows her metals please chime in, too. <strong>Fi wants a simple, plain, gold band.   He likes the color of gold, so he doesn't want a silver or  tungsten or anything else.   </strong>Is it better to have to get a 10k gold ring over, say, a 14k gold because the 10k gold is mixed with harder metal(s) and therefore  heartier and longer lasting?  I know a 14k gold has more gold in it and is more valuable because of its gold content, but fi doesn't really care about that. Would a 10k gold ring wear better because it's not as soft as a 14k?  Or does the 14k ring have other qualities we're not thinking of? 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

<div>They have gold coloured tungsten.  It'll be the colour he wants,  lots of styles, very strong, and dirt ass cheap.  Love it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I did an ebay search, but I'm sure you can get them many places.</div>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards