North Carolina-Outer Banks

SHARKS?!

I know for some of you, I just posted about this on FB, but holy heck does it freak anyone else out about these sharks?

Re: SHARKS?!

• edited December 2011
    Years ago when it was my first ever time at the OBX, I remember getting bumped into by itty bitty sand sharks but it never bothered me, but the thought of a 4-5 fot shark in 2 feet of water freaks me the heck out. I heard the sand bar shifted this year - is that true?
  • edited December 2011
    Teach, RELAX!!!!!  Can't go worrying about things like that.  Enjoy the OBX and what it has to offer!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Agree with Philly. OBX is no different than any other beach in the US; you're more likely to get struck by lightening than attacked by a shark.

From 1935-2010 there have been 41 shark attacks off the NC coast. 3 have been fatal-most recent being in 2001.  Don't think you have too much to be afraid of. Just be smart- no swimming at sunrise/sunset, dont wear jewelry and swim with a group!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    My bro-in-law is DEATHLY afraid of sharks. I'm not even kidding. If he knows there was any sort of a shark within a 50 bajillion mile radius he would question coming to my wedding. He heard about the guy that died up in corolla (was it last year or the year before- the guy from pittsburgh?) and I thought he was going to faint. Good times. Then the more he freaks out, the more I freak it... it's a whole freak out combo platter. haha

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The young boy did not die of a shark attack.....his parents let him go too far out in the water boogey-boarding and he drowned.  It was a very very sad story :(

Brent and I were actually there the weekend it happened and saw his parents and police all over the beach.  It was heart-wrenching.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_sharks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:672cf677-db1a-49c5-91e6-a92d64f4bebaPost:24d959ad-6904-4c9b-ad3d-b0a28123675f">Re: SHARKS?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The young boy did not die of a shark attack.....his parents let him go too far out in the water boogey-boarding and he drowned.  It was a very very sad story :( Brent and I were actually there the weekend it happened and saw his parents and police all over the beach.  It was heart-wrenching.
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, that would be awful to see.
  • edited December 2011
    I remember when the little boy was missing, we were down there then too but not on the same part of the beach :(

To be honest, I think of all the areas I have traveled too in terms of oceans/beaches the OBX is probably the safest. Have you seen all the dolphins? The dolphins are around constantly (atleast in the 4x4 sections) and I always feel safer that they are there. In all of my years traveling to the OBX specifically (15 years now) we have never had a shark run in or scare, or heard of one. I wouldn't worry :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards