Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Dress Help Needed - Size 36/38

One of my best friends is obviously in my wedding and we are having trouble finding dress options for her. We all went shopping at the bridal store I bought my gown and unfortunately they do not carry any bridesmaid dresses that will fit her. She is a size 36/38and I just want her to be comfortable and feel fabulous! I am letting all my girls pick from two different colors and just want them to be in a short, flowing material dress since the wedding is on the beach in Mexico.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for options for her? 

Thank you so much for your help!! 

Danielle 

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help Needed - Size 36/38

• I am not sure what most stores/designers carry in terms of sizes...Let's say the biggest size she can find is a 26 (I am looking at david's website). Perhaps she could also order extra fabric and enlist a good seamstress to add panels? What about finding a dress that isn't actually a "bridesmaid" dress but still falls in line with your colors, short and flowy?

I am glad you want your friend to feel comfortable and fabulous. In my own experience, this is not going to happen by trying on dresses in stores that don't carry such sizes. Last summer I was an MOH and needed a size 20...none of the stores the bride wanted to shop at carried anything over a 12. I spent the entire day feeling embarrassed, watching my friends play dress up. I never spoke up, maybe if I had that wouldn't have happened. Just something to keep in mind, though I don't doubt you are already going out of your way to help your friend feel comfortable. Good luck!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thank you for your feedback. She came with to the bridal shop the first time since all the girls came. I knew she was uncomfortable and told her right away that I did not expect her to try and find something at the shop. That she could look anywhere and that it did not need to be a "bridesmaid" dress. The ladies that worked at the shop talked about adding the panels but I also don't want her spending a fortune to do that.

We are looking at some sites that she usually buys dresses on and I'm confident will find something that will work. I really don't care where it is from or if it isn't the exact colors of the 2 I have picked. As long as it is in the color family I am fine. Just having her there is what is important to me!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-dress-help-needed-size-3638?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:479bb675-5328-426f-9137-265568e3d8b9Post:a1966252-01a7-4558-bf38-abaaff9b0f45">Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help Needed - Size 36/38</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not sure what most stores/designers carry in terms of sizes...Let's say the biggest size she can find is a 26 (I am looking at david's website). Perhaps she could also order extra fabric and enlist a good seamstress to add panels? What about finding a dress that isn't actually a "bridesmaid" dress but still falls in line with your colors, short and flowy? I am glad you want your friend to feel comfortable and fabulous. In my own experience, this is not going to happen by trying on dresses in stores that don't carry such sizes. Last summer I was an MOH and needed a size 20...none of the stores the bride wanted to shop at carried anything over a 12. I spent the entire day feeling embarrassed, watching my friends play dress up. I never spoke up, maybe if I had that wouldn't have happened. Just something to keep in mind, though I don't doubt you are already going out of your way to help your friend feel comfortable. Good luck!
    Posted by cbrown828[/QUOTE]
  • You're welcome. You have a great attitude about this. I am sure she will find something that looks great and makes her feel good.

You mentioned not wanting her to spend a fortune...is there any way you could help her out? If I had a bridesmaid who was having a hard time finding a dress and needing to do extra to make it work, I think I would at least try to offer to put something toward it if I could. Totally understandable if you can't, though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I do have one suggestion. Here in Phoenix, we have a bridal shop that is strictly for plus size women. They also carry bridesmaids dresses. I know they have done business over the phone/internet before for brides who can't travel to Phoenix. They could advise you on what designers carry that size and the color options.
    Here's a link
    http://strutbridalsalon.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-dress-help-needed-size-3638?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:479bb675-5328-426f-9137-265568e3d8b9Post:914114a5-3b1a-40da-8b6d-ecaf79b336a8">Bridesmaid Dress Help Needed - Size 36/38</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my best friends is obviously in my wedding and we are having trouble finding dress options for her. We all went shopping at the bridal store I bought my gown and unfortunately they do not carry any bridesmaid dresses that will fit her. She is a size 36/38and I just want her to be comfortable and feel fabulous! I am letting all my girls pick from two different colors and just want them to be in a short, flowing material dress since the wedding is on the beach in Mexico. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for options for her?  Thank you so much for your help!!  Danielle 
    Posted by minicoop99[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure when you wedding is, you can see about having a dress made for her, though not sure what that would cost, you can find the same fabric that your other BMs are wearing and pick out the same color or a color close to it and the seamstress can make the same dress as the BMs are wearing, that way it will fit her perfect, just an option.
  • I'm glad that you are thinking of your BMs comfort!  I would follow her lead of shopping at places where she has shopped before, whether its an online store or local shop.  If you are confident she will find a dress that falls within your parameters, then I would drop it for the most part.  Just tell her that you trust her to find a dress that fits your color scheme and that its flowly.
  • OP, I responded to you on Plus Sized board.

If you're going to post the same thing on more than one board, you should put "XP" in the beginning of your title.
  • Hi, Danielle. I don't know what the size you mean actually but I suggest you go online shopping and customize the sizes for you.

I know some good sites: JenJenHouse and Dress first.

JE Facebook is holding an activity recently, you could go and have a look. <a href="https://www.facebook.com/events/141111119389779/" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/events/141111119389779/</a>

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-dress-help-needed-size-3638?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:479bb675-5328-426f-9137-265568e3d8b9Post:914114a5-3b1a-40da-8b6d-ecaf79b336a8">Bridesmaid Dress Help Needed - Size 36/38</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my best friends is obviously in my wedding and we are having trouble finding dress options for her. We all went shopping at the bridal store I bought my gown and unfortunately they do not carry any bridesmaid dresses that will fit her. She is a size 36/38and I just want her to be comfortable and feel fabulous! I am letting all my girls pick from two different colors and just want them to be in a short, flowing material dress since the wedding is on the beach in Mexico. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for options for her?  Thank you so much for your help!!  Danielle 
    Posted by minicoop99[/QUOTE]
  • Thank you all for your help! My friend had someone offer to make her a dress so I told her it was up to her whether to buy from some place she is comfortable doing so or to have one made. I'd rather her go a route she is comfortable with and will like the dress! Again, thank you for all your responses!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards