Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

What do you do if Photographer misses a formal shot?

Hi,
Is there protocol when your wedding photographer forgot a formal shot? My mom and brother walking down the aisle was not taken, and that's a really important one to me.  I emailed inquiring to them, and there was an apology.  Is that it? Or can I do something about it?

Re: What do you do if Photographer misses a formal shot?

• ceeceed80ceeceed80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most photographers contracts state that they cannot guarantee specific photos. I would check your contract, but then again, I don't think there is much you can do. I mean at most you could express your disappointment with not having that photo and hope that they give you some free prints or something. But, as a lawyer, I can tell you that it would not be worth your time or effort to try and get a refund over one photo. 
  • morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there's anything you can do.  It's unfortunate but it happens.

We didn't use a pro photographer at our wedding, but my BIL's girlfriend.  She didn't take any photos of my Dad walking ME down the aisle -- but she got 6 great shots (*rolling eyes here*) of my BIL, who was the Best Man watching me walk down the aisle.

I would ask friends and family if they have any photos of your Mom and brother.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photographer-misses-formal-shot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:64a4eea1-de18-42c9-8617-bef787449a32Post:8a4cd35f-447e-4815-9cf7-2fc7cc7c5549">Re: What do you do if Photographer misses a formal shot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Most photographers contracts state that they cannot guarantee specific photos. </strong>I would check your contract, but then again, I don't think there is much you can do. I mean at most you could express your disappointment with not having that photo and hope that they give you some free prints or something. But, as a lawyer, I can tell you that it would not be worth your time or effort to try and get a refund over one photo. 
    Posted by ceeceed80[/QUOTE]
    This. <div>
    </div><div>Did you have one or two photographers?  </div>
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photographer-misses-formal-shot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:64a4eea1-de18-42c9-8617-bef787449a32Post:f69c0a90-afe6-4f52-ab37-9d0d5ad396b6">Re: What do you do if Photographer misses a formal shot?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I would ask friends and family if they have any photos of your Mom and brother.
    Posted by morainemom[/QUOTE]

This is really the only solution.  Think about what the photographer's day is like and all that could go wrong.  Camera's can fail to focus, flashes can mis-fire, the camera can mis-read exposure, maybe the pictures were taken and simply came out bad.  Over the course of 8-10 hours and 1,000 images, these things are going to happen a few times.  If that's all that's missing, I'd say your photographer did a pretty good job.
  • edited December 2011
    Contact guests and see if anyone else has the shot you are looking for...I guess that's all you can do at this point...my sister's photographer didn't get their first kiss...I told my photographer if that happened she'd be in big trouble.
    Anniversary
  • drphotodrphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is more common than you might think.  Photographers miss shots all the time.  I'd be a little surprised if one of the guests didn't have a reasonably good photo that you could use.  I'd ask the photographer if he'd retouch the guest's photo for you.  Some will, some won't.  If it's a good enough shot, ask if he'd include it in the album.  Give him the discretion to say no.

All the best,
    Corey Schwartz
    Desert Ridge Photography.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards