Wedding Etiquette Forum

What is and is not ok to wear?

A few people told me once, that if you have a child (which i do not), or are marrying someone with a child (FI does). That it is NOT ok to wear pure white, or silk, that you must wear off white, cream, or white that contains no lace or silk. I searched around and couldn't find anything, but because has a child, why do i have to suffer? Or are there guidelines he needs to follow?

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

Re: What is and is not ok to wear?

• annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Um, I think those few people are crazy. Wear whatever you want.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-ok-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c1db338c-affc-4552-99ca-1ef06d81a869Post:b3110de7-054c-4f8f-9e33-2bd2b81760f3">Re: What is and is not ok to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um, I think those few people are crazy. Wear whatever you want.
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]
    This!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ummm....yeah, i've never heard of anything like this.....

• Wear whatever color you want to wear.

A lot of brides don't wear pure white, because it washes them out.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    You (and he for that matter) can wear whatever color you like.

The whole color of the dress having anything to do with "purity" is nonsense. People just used to wear their nicest dress on their wedding day. It wasn't until the industrial revolution that most brides could afford a new dress for their wedding day.
    Lizzie
  • I wore white.  Don't worry, nothing happened.  :) 
  • I've heard that, but as previous posts have said, it's just nonsense. Wear whatever you want.
  • Wear whatever you want to wear (and your FI too).

PS. I LOVE your cat  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Who cares if you have a kid (or are about to have a step child) and wear white with lace on your wedding day?! That seems like a REALLY old-school/ultra-conservative, religious BS rule to me.

I say wear what you want regardless of your child-having status.
    Anniversary
  • Wear whatever you want. That old rule of thumb or whatever you want to call it doesn't apply anymore. I have known several people who have been married before and wore a white wedding dress.
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    That's what i thought, especially with it now being 2011, and very very common to wed with already having a child. The person who told me this also said if you wear white, you MUST have a color attached to the dress, like a red sash or something of the sort. Yea ok, she must have spent a little too much time on the internet or in the sun.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Whaat? That's nuts! I've never heard anything about this when you're marrying someone with a child. That would mean I'd have to get rid of my wedding dress. Lol not! Do what you want! :)
  • I have 3 kids and I'm wearing all white. I didn't really care what etiquette had to say! LOL  However, I haven't read anything that said I couldn't wear what I wanted to anyway.  :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom asked me if I planned on wearing white to my 2nd marriage. I struck her down with my eyes. I have an eyeroll that kills.

You could even wear Beatrice or Eugenie's hats if you desired. Although - I wouldn't recommend the look.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • That's just stupid.  I guess it's coming from the idea that only virgins wear white (which is bunk anyway), but even still, he could have a kid and you could still be a virgin.  
  • blush64blush64 member
    I have two kids and I plan on wearing white if I find a white dress that suits me.

If white was for virgins there would be a lot of brides unable to wear white. I have never heard it in relation to having children.

Also, white wasn't always the colour everyone wore.

Wear what you wan to wear.
  • White has only been in vogue since Queen Victoria wore white. 

My ultraconservative, still lives by the 1950 version of Amy Vanderbilt grandmother says you should always wear white at your wedding, even if it's your fifth trip down the aisle, if you want to. 

She also says bridesmaids shoes should match the punch, so feel free to ignore that part. :)
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-ok-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c1db338c-affc-4552-99ca-1ef06d81a869Post:b452ea3a-2669-44fa-9450-4debfd2390c2">Re: What is and is not ok to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]She also says bridesmaids shoes should match the punch, so feel free to ignore that part. :)
    Posted by GeauxTigers17[/QUOTE]

New rule for my wedding!
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-ok-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c1db338c-affc-4552-99ca-1ef06d81a869Post:a87d2e5b-87a0-44d9-ae5b-c1782427168a">Re: What is and is not ok to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's what i thought, especially with it now being 2011, and very very common to wed with already having a child. The person who told me this also said if you wear white, you MUST have a color attached to the dress, like a red sash or something of the sort. Yea ok, she must have spent a little too much time on the internet or in the sun.
    Posted by jrkjpf[/QUOTE]

Is your kitty a polydactyl? I have one with a total of 28 claws divided among all 4 paws.
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-ok-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c1db338c-affc-4552-99ca-1ef06d81a869Post:8bcb3a03-c57f-4ae3-8d55-602c603a8c9f">Re: What is and is not ok to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is and is not ok to wear? : Is your kitty a polydactyl? I have one with a total of 28 claws divided among all 4 paws.
    Posted by MiddlesexFells[/QUOTE]

He is!...He is probably the biggest "mutt" around, polydactyl, along with tiger tabby and Siamese. For sure one of a kind, physically and mentally :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards