African American Weddings

Poll: Last Name

I am still trying to decide on if I'll keep my last name or change it. My current last name is 8-letters long and FI's is 5 so hyphenating is out of the question.
Just a quick poll to see what you fine ladies are doing :-)

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Poll: Last Name

• Panda16Panda16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on hyphenating. But I'm in the same boat with you. I have a long last name and FI's is 4 letters long. The main reason I'm hyphenating is because I'm very close to my dad and he didn't have sons. I'm the oldest and feel like I want to carry the name somehow. Not only that, but my name is part of my identity so I want to add a name to it rather than take one away.

Plus, how will ppl find me on Facebook?? Wink
  • Vanessa AVanessa A member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have an autistic son with my maiden name so to handle his business easier, I'll hypenate. It will be a long last name but that will work better for us.
  • edited December 2011
    I honestly wanted to hypenate my name but FI is talking that junk! LOL!! Talking about I have to change my name! ANYWAY! But on the real, that is the only request that he has.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • MrsJJohnson2BMrsJJohnson2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my last name but I'm ready to change it to fi last name.
    Anniversary
    161image 131image 10image20image RSVP Date August 1
  • TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be changing my last name.
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• divadivine25divadivine25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Married in June and have yet to make the legal change although I do use my married name on certain things. Guess I should get that done huh!
    I will keep my maiden name because of my children and hypehnate.
  • edited December 2011
    I am keeping my last name.  Ok, I'm a feminist and really don't believe in changing my name.  Besides, professionally, it would be a nightmare to change everything.
  • edited December 2011
    I will use both my last name and his, but without the hyphen. He wants me to (legally) change my last name to his, but he's okay with me using my maiden name as my "middle" name.
  • KooKoo4QuincyKooKoo4Quincy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am hyphenating my last name. FI wants me to change to his but I love my last name...my name period for that matta~ LOL
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    berry, you took the words out of my mouth. That is what I am doing.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm keeping all of it! So I'll be Mrs. First Middle Maiden Last name. I'll go by First Last for simplicity. I love my name as is and I didn't want to change any of it but I am excited about adding his name to mine.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm.  I actually have thought about keeping it all first, middle, maiden and adding his.  BUT, my last and his last rhyme...booooo, I would sound like a joke LOL.  I will prob take his name but, have thought about using my name for business purposes...my degrees cost me money and pain!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Alas, I failed to mention...I am taking his last name...whether it is work or play...I will use his last name..I am ready for this change..
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I'm a feminist so I would never drop my name completely.  However, it is more than 10 letters long and hard as the dickens to spell.  I'm tired of spelling it, ok?  FI does not mind if I keep mine and not take his but I will take his and keep mine too.  One part feminism, one part professionalism.  How will my clients and colleagues keep up with me if I change my name completely and don't keep my maiden name at all?  So I'll be first name maiden name FI last name and write out all three names for business use and just when I feel like being a feminist. LOL.
  • happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both - I have 2 children from a previous marriage so I'll hyphenate for their sake when it comes to things related to them but on a daily I'm taking his name.  Right now when we send out Christmas cards and such we use the Chappell-Myers family.  
    80 said yes image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards