New York-Western

Plus-size dress shopping in Buffalo area

Does anyone have experience looking for a plus-size wedding gown in any of the Buffalo area shops?  I'm on overload looking at dresses online and want to just find one already to be done with this - but have decided online ordering isn't an option if I want a decent dress without the possibility of being scammed.

Any input from curvy brides in the WNY area would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Re: Plus-size dress shopping in Buffalo area

• Do not bother with Bridal Chateau.  They only had 3-4 dresses in plus sizes.  Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal seemed to have the best selection.  I ended up buying my dress at David's Bridal while my similarly sized friend had a great experience at Alfred Angelo.
  • Also, do not get alterations done at David's Bridal.  There are many great seamstresses that'll do alterations for much less.  My hemming and steaming/pressing plus bustle was only $30 whereas David's Bridal wanted to charge $35 just for hemming.
  • Thanks for the info!  If you don't mind my asking - which David's Bridal did you go to?  Just wondering if any one has a bigger selection than another.
  • Victorias Bridal on Sheridan in Williamsville had some nice ones not a ton but the ones they had were nice. They hace a sample sale going on now and they had some on there too.
  • Perfect! I have an appt at Victoria's set up already.  Thanks for the input :)
  • Go to the David's Bridal out in Blasdell.  It was a much more pleasant experience and it seemed that the staff was more experienced.  I was worried about finding any dresses in my size or that I would like and I ended up trying about 10!  They have actual fitting rooms (as oppsoed to the curtains at the one on Niagara Falls Blvd) and better lighting as well.
  • I went to MA Carr for my dress. They seemed to have some plus size dresses. I would call them and ask though to double check. Good luck!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • I agree with David's Bridal in Blasdell.  Someone told me they didn't have many plus-sized dresses there, they had more at the Blvd location.  They had many when I went there.  I also went to M.A. Carr but was a little disappointed in them.  They asked me what my budget was and when I found a gown a liked it was 150% of my budget!!!! I was really upset by that and went back to David's and bought my dress there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a terrible experience with Alfred Angelo, for bridesmaid dresses. They had next to nothing in a plus size -- one dress, and not a dress we were interested. Everything else ewas in an 8 or 10. My wedding party couldn't try on anything, and the staff was extremely unhelpful. A complete waste of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

White Knot

• edited December 2012
    Thanks.  I've had a less than lovely bridesmaid experience at Alfred Angelo myself.  My appointment at Victoria's Bridal was better than I expected.  Although they didn't have many samples in plus size the consultant was able to get me into almost every dress I was interested in anyways, and didn't make me feel awkward at all.  Considering going back there even if I have to special order, since their customer service was so great.  On a side note - I NEED to make a dress decision quickly!! August will be here before I know it!
  • I picked my dress!!! And surprised myself by choosing one at David's Bridal.  Called ahead to check for styles at Tonawanda, and set an appt there - they didn't have the style I had called about (even though they told me they did).  The fitting area is hectic and certainly less than private, although my consultant was HILARIOUS - MaryAnne.  Ended up stopping at Blasdell David's afterwards just to see if they had the dress I was interested in - no appt.  They did, and had an empty room they let me use to try it on (with an actual DOOR), tried it on - LOVED it and bought it! SOOOOO HAPPY to have that item off the checklist. :)  Now on to other things, like finding someone for alterations.  Any suggestions other than the one mentioned in the alterations thread? (Mary Lou i think it was).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards