African American Weddings

Why I don't do "Hook-ups"!

So we had a bit of cake drama...

FMIL has a co-worker friend that makes cakes for a living...kinda.  She made our engagement party cake, it was a banana nut cake and it was TASTY! But how can you mess that up?  So FMIL asked her to do the cake which was cool because the cake was good and there was talk of this big hook-up and even then FI "figured" his mom was paying for the cake.  Well we had cake tasting with her... it was ok.  It was cake.  It didnt wow me and I was excited about it but I was willing to cut that corner to save some loot!

Anyway... here we are a almost at cake making time and this old lady tells us that we need 5 tiers! And that she is charging per slice for a grand total of $580-$600!!
Woman Please!! Are you Crazy!! If you think thats a hook-up I'd hate to see you at regular price!

I went right on to my favorite bakery and got exactly what I needed for $300.  People kill me...

Hmm... I wonder if she is still coming to the wedding! lol!

Re: Why I don't do "Hook-ups"!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dont-hook-ups?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:eebb7fbd-cb7a-4ac8-9310-1b6dca6321eaPost:6f8a38f2-ea66-4b39-9cfc-1db27f5ee123">Why I don't do "Hook-ups"!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we had a bit of cake drama... FMIL has a co-worker friend that makes cakes for a living...kinda.  She made our engagement party cake, it was a banana nut cake and it was TASTY! But how can you mess that up?  So FMIL asked her to do the cake which was cool because the cake was good and there was talk of this big hook-up and even then FI "figured" his mom was paying for the cake.  Well we had cake tasting with her... it was ok.  It was cake.  It didnt wow me and I was excited about it but I was willing to cut that corner to save some loot! Anyway... here we are a almost at cake making time and this old lady tells us that we need 5 tiers! And that she is charging per slice for a grand total of $580-$600!! Woman Please!! Are you Crazy!! If you think thats a hook-up I'd hate to see you at regular price! I went right on to my favorite bakery and got exactly what I needed for $300.  People kill me... Hmm... I wonder if she is still coming to the wedding! lol!
    Posted by tahaira82[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute...is she a professional(licensed) with a shop or baking out the home and known because word of mouth??

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. No.  Hookups in general are ok so long as you not too vested in the outcome.   But for wedding, no hookups unless that hookup is established and proven somehow.  And definitely no relative hookups.  Oh Lawd.  Because if something goes wrong, you have to deal with that for a long time.  LOL!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• tahaira82tahaira82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's her story.  She is licensed.  But through Kroger i guess?  She makes cakes for folks all around town.  But they always had the wal-mart birthday party ruffles on them... trust me, I was terrified to see what this cake was going to look like... so I guess this was actually a huge blessing! 
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never put any faith in hook-ups and always have a plan B. I'm going through something similar with a friend of a friend that supposed to be doing our cake - I've left her 3 messages before she finally called me back. When we finally spoke on the phone, she told me she was at the mall and will call me back to set up a tasting and she still hasnt called me back (it's been over 3 weeks), but she called my friend to tell her she got my messages and will be calling me back! I know my wedding is still almost 6 months away, but it kills me when folks can't be professional. Needless to say, I'm looking at other options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dont-hook-ups?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:eebb7fbd-cb7a-4ac8-9310-1b6dca6321eaPost:9191f4bc-8f55-488f-9afa-222bba8cd4d3">Re: Why I don't do "Hook-ups"!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never put any faith in hook-ups and always have a plan B. I'm going through something similar with a friend of a friend that supposed to be doing our cake - I've left her 3 messages before she finally called me back. When we finally spoke on the phone, she told me she was at the mall and will call me back to set up a tasting and she still hasnt called me back (it's been over 3 weeks), but she called my friend to tell her she got my messages and will be calling me back! I know my wedding is still almost 6 months away, but it kills me when folks can't be professional. Needless to say, I'm looking at other options
    Posted by hatroopes[/QUOTE]
    EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

272image Invited
    222image Accepted
    50image Can't Hang
    0 image Just won't be attending PERIOD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    See that wasn't right at all. But thank goodness for a plan B.
  • edited December 2011
    Say No to HOOKUPS!!!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• tahaira82tahaira82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Say No To Hook-ups!  Lets all get t-shirts made!  Thank God for plan B is sooo right!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh goodness, I can't tell you how many people knew someone who knew someone to DJ our wedding.  The DJ is one of the most important things to me and all of these DJs who were supposed to be all that didn't even call me back.  So I said forget it, let me find a reputable company who's reliable and actually knows how to conduct business.  My cousin had the nerve to have an attitude because I don't have a black DJ, but none of them came through and at the end of the day my money's going to the person who actually knows how to be professional.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards