Chit Chat

What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?

We had this discussion come up in the middle of another thread, but I was wondering what wedding-related things will look trendy or dated when we look back in 20 years? That's not a bad thing! I love looking back at my parent's wedding album, and it's truly a snapshot in time of their lives and it's great! I was just wondering what everyone thought will look 'so 2012' in the future?

Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?

• From the last post, I gathered that my cowboy boots will cause my wedding to be deemed tacky.

I wonder about full skirts with pick-ups. I don't dislike them, it just seems that they've become hugely popular lately and I wonder if that style will be sticking around.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:a8c329ef-da6a-416f-bdbe-efe4df92438e">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]From the last post, I gathered that my cowboy boots will cause my wedding to be deemed <strong>tacky</strong>. I wonder about full skirts with pick-ups. I don't dislike them, it just seems that they've become hugely popular lately and I wonder if that style will be sticking around.
    Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]

Trendy does NOT equal tacky! My aunt had the great big Diana sleeves! My mom got married the same week as Diana and my mom's dress had tiny straps and she said if she felt like she really missed out on the big sleeves at the time! She was really sad to miss those big sleeves! :)

And I think you might be right about the pickups.
  • I think photobooths will look trendy.  I had one and loved it.
  • I think pick-ups and colored heels will be trendy.
    Anniversary
  • TOtal blonde moment.  It took me a minute to process the pick up part.  I was like "what do trucks have to do with trendy weddings?"  Laughing
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I think dresses with pick-ups will look trendy. Most everything else comes in & out of style often. 
  • Dresses with pick-ups or rosette skirts
    One-shouldered dresses (I rocked one!)
    Colored heels
    Brooch bouquets
    Photobooths (wish we splurged and had one)

That is all I have right now.

• overly blingy might look dated, feathers in the hair dress etc. Moustache decor... At the same time dont worry too much! If you love it and it is "so you" just go with it!!!! Your future children will find something to make fun of... but love it just the same.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:8ac8099c-4658-4d47-a681-442d7687b420">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pickups Headbands with large ornament on one side Feathers Fascinators Birdcage veils Corset backs Colored shoes (which is a shame because I especially love this trend) Damask decor Peacock-feather decor Ye olde-timey stuff - bicycles, fonts that are evocative of Barnum & Bailey circus flyers, weathered signs, banners, bunting, mason jars, etc. Boots with dresses Brooch bouquets Bride and bridesmaid tanks, sweat suits, undies Jewels in center of flowers Burlap Colored crinolines TTD photos Boudoir photos ETA:  Also candy bars/buffets/whatevers, and signature cocktails
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with everything, and I'm guilty of a few.... but hopefully my boudoir pics will not be in my wedding album. (Although I am quite proud of them).
  • The only thing I would add to Lucy's list is mermaid dresses.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:8e73c0bc-9536-4904-805b-89db1711e1e9">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know, trendy isn't a bad thing. What looks trendy years from now is au courant and fashionable now. I think there is a world of difference between a trend and a fad.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

Oh, I completely agree! And like I said before, it's a snapshot in time, and the passage of time making something 'old' isn't bad, it's great! There's nothing better than finding an old picture from my parents from the 70's. My mom had, like, the BEST Farrah Fawcett hair and my tall dad looked even taller in those high cut flare jeans.
    I still look back and laugh (ok, cringe) at myself wearing those dangerously low B-Spears jeans in high school with bright blonde highlights. I was cool, okay????
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:8ec41c29-7f52-436d-9122-3fe190d8350f">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also think strapless dresses will eventually look trendy.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. For some reason I don't really like strapless dresses. And, like, EVERYONE wears them.
  • Agree w/Lucy, strapless wedding gowns will look trendy by 2032.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wedding dresses with sashes.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:69b43bdc-498f-422c-8dc6-e22aa0bd58fa">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years? : <strong> Trendy does NOT equal tacky! </strong>My aunt had the great big Diana sleeves! My mom got married the same week as Diana and my mom's dress had tiny straps and she said if she felt like she really missed out on the big sleeves at the time! She was really sad to miss those big sleeves! :) And I think you might be right about the pickups.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]
    Oh, I totally agree. I just got called flat-out tacky in the last post.

And I agree, pick-up trucks and weddings...that would be quite a combo. But I'm sure it's been done, ha!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:44b89760-c018-441a-b70c-1060b5c74e88">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years? : Oh yes. For some reason I don't really like strapless dresses. And, like, EVERYONE wears them.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

It does make finding a dress easier though when you have eliminated 95% of stock right off the top.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:1cfcbdf2-adf5-4eee-897e-719b080ec371">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years? : It does make finding a dress easier though when you have eliminated 95% of stock right off the top.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Totally! I was in and out! I actually found 'the' dress twice in the same store. I wasn't picky within my parameters.

(yeah I know that last sentence makes no sense)
  • Pick up skirts, strapless dresses, the whole burlap and mason jar look, chalkboard, photobooths, and the general obsession with 'vintage' and 'quirky'.
  • I think one shoulder dresses and matching bridesmaid dresses.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:a4f17c12-7300-4029-864e-1499140d3b9c">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think one shoulder dresses and matching bridesmaid dresses.
    Posted by cokie216[/QUOTE]

I think that the mismatched dresses thing is more likely to look 'trendy' in the future.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:73251ea3-78a9-4643-95a1-41bd365a22c3">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years? : I think that the mismatched dresses thing is more likely to look 'trendy' in the future.
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]

You might be right.  I'm a little biased because I just don't like matchy matchy stuff!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:d0698738-d11a-4f41-97d1-705e0a168d58">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm betting cutesy group photos of the B&G kissing and the WP hiding their eyes or looking shocked, or the BMs holding the Bride up will be a past trend in 20 years.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

There could be a whole other thread about what pics will look trendy! Two E pics popped into my head right away - riding a bike together and the picnic in the middle of a field surrounded by an assortment of books and random items. Both are cute pics though:)
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:21c5b0f6-271b-4767-8ee2-2e114b4ff0f5">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Baskets of flip-flops for guests
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

Yep and the tears of joy packets.

And I agree that the mismatched dresses seem more trendy than the matching dresses.
    Both can be pulled off beautifully, though!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-will-look-trendy-in-20-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ba6a085f-cb97-4fcd-809b-4dbe3c1228b9Post:d68bf36f-ecbc-4d81-8936-e23f788ffbf6">Re: What will look 'trendy' in 20 years?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that the mismatched dresses thing will probably look trendy, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. I grew up in the age of bridesmaid uniforms -- right down to the exact same shoe, exact same hairstyle, exact same jewelry and exact same clutches -- and I love the cohesive-but-not-identical look of mismatched dresses. I really hate the rainbow bridesmaids look, though. It was a fad way back in the day (note: not trend, but fad). The trick was having enough bridesmaids to do ROYGBIV, and enough groomsmen to match. Because, of course, back in the day it was unheard of to have mismatched sides.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

I'd hope that things would go in the way of not doing mismatched dresses because it's in style and quirky/different but that more brides would loosen up and let their girls pick their own dress that they look and feel good in as long as it fits in well.  Of course, I don't anticipate being a bridesmaid in 20 years so what do I care?! :)
  • What about the trend of engagement rings? I think we will all look back and realize that the solitaire diamond with the pave band was a trend and so was the diamond with the halo around it.

Other trends.
    casual shoes: converse, toms, cowboys boots
    cake pops
    late night snacks
    the second dress
    mason jars/ trying to be vintage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ok this whole "trendy" meaning "dated" thing is confusing me... it's making me think you all are talking about what will be "in" for weddings in 20 years!

As for looking dated. I'm definitely going with strapless dresses.

And zombie weddings. Those are going to go out, and go out hard.
  • List of future vintage: Fit n flare dresses Mermaid dresses Dresses with belts Dresses with bling Bling
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards