Snarky Brides

Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs

CN from last post: I have a neighbor that lives below me who yells non-stop and is really loud.

So I wake up at 6:30 this morning to him screaming and banging things around. Usually he waits until later, and considering my e-pics are today and I'm trying to get sleep I was Pissed. So I get out of bed and knock on the door to tell him I can hear him. This is what happened:

Me - knocks on door

Him - Sweat all over "I'm so sorry, did I wake you? It's the pain, no one understands. It's my back and my stomach and now I have seizures and no one fuucking understands. Except you. When I saw you, when I touched you, I came out of the matrix and I knew this was real. You know me. You did your part, you didn't call the cops, I didn't murder your family (what!). The family next to us, they use their children and their secret magical language (spanish) to conspire against me. I chose to read a jewish book: Moby Diick. You are the girl from Santa Cruz. You are my reason for living, my reason for knowing this is all real. You are a boat. You leave wakes behind you, I see it in those brown eyes" 
This is the condensed version... I was actually out there for 20 min

Me- backing away slowly "oh....uh... I hope you feel better?"

Him - I will never feel better. The banks, the doctors, Tony (?) they all try to rape me in the a$$, to take advantage of me. I will always be in pain. (some incoherent rambling about morphine) I will not be on pain meds! They will take away my drivers license! But what you said is so amazing. Hope. I have no hope, but I do have Alyssa."

Me - running back home

WHAT. THE. FUUCK

This is probably going to be a P&R because I would like to sleep, but I needed to vent. Seriously, what do I do? I would call the cops but can they arrest you for acting strangely? I need some advice on this one. Thanks everyone for reading this ridiculously long post.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs

• Yiiiiikes!

Is there any kind of noise ordinance in your area? Maybe you can report him making so much noise outside of reasonable hours?

Other than that, unless you fear for your own safety, I don't think there's anything that can be done about someone just being "crazy".
  • I would check on noise ordinances like PP said. Otherwise..I wouldn't go back downstairs. Or next time send FI. That would seriously creep me out. But there's not much you can do about it unless he starts coming to your door harassing you.
  • What the shiit?

I don't even know what to say to that.
  • I never really post over here, but OP do you ever see any family or other people going in the apartment? If so, I would at least tell them so they are aware of what is going on. Other than that there is nothing you can do.

Also, depending on the circumstances calling the cops can help. They won't arrest him but they can have him involuntarily admitted into a hospital's psych ward depending on how he is acting when they arrive.
  • !! Holy Shiit. I'm a psychologist (well, for kids, but still)...ummm, sounds like a pretty severe case of schizophrenia. Don't go down there by yourself again. It seems like he needs some help-some residential treatment and some meds. Eeeek!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • ummm what!? honestly, i wouldn't take that lightly but that is just me. there are some crazy delusional people out there. if someone said something about murdering my family i'm not sure how i'd be able to sleep at night. ditto PP who said to maybe talk to your other neighbors and see what they have to say.
    5/27/12
  • Um.. two words. Paranoid Schizophrenic. 

Seriously, that guy needs help.
    Anniversary
  • If you live anywhere near Santa Cruz that place is full of crazies! (I am from Scotts Valley/Felton area)

I would make sure to stay WAY clear of his place alone. Sounds like from what you had said you stand out to him. That would scare me IMO. Next time he is yelling like that I would honestly call the cops in your situation and see what someone else says about it. As said above it may actually get him the help he needs.

Also. The point he thinks kids are conspiring against him kinda scares me for their well being as well.
  • Also, if there is a landlord/leasing agent let them know. Maybe they are aware of this already or have had to contact family members before about it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:ff23dd32-8a4b-4d2c-b3a2-092ac6e505bd">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, if there is a landlord/leasing agent let them know. Maybe they are aware of this already or have had to contact family members before about it.
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

<div>I think in the previous post she said it's condos and everyone owns there own, so there's not a management company. </div>
  • and i'd tell the neighbors he was referring too, especially because they have children.
    5/27/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:80449a14-ffed-4f20-81f5-a65b30167061">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs : I think in the previous post she said it's condos and everyone owns there own, so there's not a management company. 
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]
    Hrm. I must have missed that. Oops! Well, definitely neighbors then and use the police if need be. They can help in situations like this.
  • good god, and I thought my downstairs neighbor was on creepy side. No advice, but good luck to you! I wouldn't even know what to do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks everyone. It really was scary. I just woke up again and he is still yelling downstairs. It has definitely gotten to the point where this is not ok anymore. It is just him and his ex wife down there so I don't know how she puts up with this. 

Crash is right that we are all individually owned condos, but we do have a HOA so come monday I will let them know. We also have security here that is run by retired police officers, so maybe if I can find one of them walking around I can let them know as well. They may have some insight into what I can do, because I agree that he definitely needs inpatient psych at this point
  • reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    OMG. Is this apartments or houses? If it's a rental, I would call my manager first ASAP. Ask what they plan to do about it. If they say nothing, tell them you plan to call the cops. That will most likely pass the buck to your manager to decide on coming over or calling the cops themselves.

Honestly, at this point I would call the cops, but I would also be afraid of him lashing out if he just gets out in 48 hours, which could happen as well. Manager first. Cops second if manager sucks. This is disturbance of the peace/ domestic disturbance, or maaaybe, possession of meth, and if you have a rental agreement I'm SURE this isn't allowed.
    Photobucket
  • Oh God, Alyssa, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. That sounds terrifying.  I agree--go to the HOA because they might have soem kind of rules in place and the fact that he said "I didn't murder you" to you implies he at least considered murdering someone else, right? Also, maybe talk to neighbors and see if anyone else has problems with him.  Maybe if you guys have several complaints, you'll have a stronger case.

On a side note, I hate when people say things like "crazies" to describe people with mental illness.  It's pretty insulting and demeaning, IMO.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:6f073e4f-9884-4533-9865-19484847b765">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh God, Alyssa, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. That sounds terrifying.  I agree--go to the HOA because they might have soem kind of rules in place and the fact that he said "I didn't murder you" to you implies he at least considered murdering someone else, right? Also, maybe talk to neighbors and see if anyone else has problems with him.  Maybe if you guys have several complaints, you'll have a stronger case. On a side note, I hate when people say things like <strong>"crazies"</strong> to describe people with mental illness.  It's pretty insulting and demeaning, IMO.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

Not talking about people with mental illness in the least in the topic of Santa Cruz. If you were to go there you would understand exactly what I mean. People CHOOSE to act out like that. They like to sit on streets get baked and see how obnoxious they can be.
  • Thanks for the clarification, Miz!

I wasn't just talking about your comment though--I hear it all the time and I think it contributes to the villifying of mental illness.
  • He needs adult social services. I would contact a mental health center near you and see what advice they offer. 
     The paranoia you've described can certainly be dangerous. Keep your doors locked, don't go past his apartment alone if you can help it. I would keep mace (sp?) out and with you at all times in and around your building.
     That sounds extreme, but this is a serious situation.
  • alyssag721alyssag721 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Nates. What's really bothering me right now is that FI is kinda just laughing it off. It was funny odd before, but not now. I should have woken him up to go down there with me so he could see for himself.

Edit: And I do apologize for using the c word, you are right. When I first went down there I thought it might be drugs or drug withdrawls. But it is sounding more and more like a mental illness. I will change my wording.
  • Yeah, the tone in this post is a little strange to me as well Nates.
     This man obviously has serious mental issues. He's not trying to be an asshole or anything like that.

This goes way past just a noise issue. I would ask the police if you could make an anonymous report, but addimtance against one's will is not something done lightly. Please the neighbors know about the issue as well, but really this man needs social services to step in.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:ea692cd0-c266-4d26-b1cf-d99b58d1fc2c">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE]He needs adult social services. <strong>I would contact a mental health center near you and see what advice they offer</strong>.   The paranoia you've described can certainly be dangerous. Keep your doors locked, don't go past his apartment alone if you can help it. I would keep mace (sp?) out and with you at all times in and around your building.  That sounds extreme, but this is a serious situation.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

<div>I think this is a really good idea. I actually did my clinical rotations at a facility about a mile from here. Maybe I can contact them as well on Monday.</div>
  • There has to be an emergency line as well. Google your area and see if you can find a mental health support line. At the very least, they should be able to refer you to some contacts.
  • http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/suicide-hotlines-and-resources

This came up for just "northern california mental health hotlines." Perhaps one of these numbers can help you find the right contact for your area.
  • edited May 2011
    Like pp stated, call apt. mgr, see if family comes tell them, weird, just weird. I will also note severe pain, meds or lack of meds can make ppl seem  mentaly unstable. The murder thing is a bit concerning though. Being with out moraphine can have unsusual effects immediatly, the sweating the hulitionations and such.

H wasn't as bad, he had half his back fused,  to reduce his fluid in his legs he was precribed meds, the levels were so high he became delutional,said it was his ex was dead when his daughter and i were talking about her(she and her mom were going to go somewhere), I knew then to rush him to the hosp.(no lie) he got his mom who he dearly loved and his ex that he despises even after 10 yrs of being divorced mixed up,I corrected him, had to tell him his mom was in fact daed and bring up her funeral and the events and told him, no it's your mom that had died ( 3 months prior) and not so and so. he just sat with a blank stare and said oh yea mom is dead too and just starting bawling like it was the first time he ever heard this. At first his daughter was mad and pissed until I calmed her down and explained how he has been for the past 2 days. Here he had too much pottasium and was in renal failure.

I also remember my dad who also had a back fusion, in so much pain when I was younger litterly hitting his head up against the wall to try to take the pain away. Back then ambulances were make shift stationwagons, and off he went to the hosp. after my mother called for them
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:39738091-88b1-411a-b936-32a4113ac35a">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Thanks for the clarification, Miz!</strong>  I wasn't just talking about your comment though--I hear it all the time and I think it contributes to the villifying of mental illness.

Your welcome! I am sorry it came across that way.

I hear it all the time as well and it urks me when used in reference to people with a mental illness. I used to work with special needs children and it sickening how much that term is thrown around with alot of the parents.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:a8239f0f-7e21-4e88-b4b7-401aea69bfc3">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, the tone in this post is a little strange to me as well Nates.  This man obviously has serious mental issues. He's not trying to be an asshole or anything like that. This goes way past just a noise issue. I would ask the police if you could make an anonymous report, but addimtance against one's will is not something done lightly. <strong>Please the neighbors know about the issue as well, but really this man needs social services to step in.</strong>

<div>YES, this! Someone, anyone professional, needs to intervene. But in reality, the 'social services' may have to be the police if nothing else is available. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, talking to the neighbors could be the last push everyone needs to speak up with you against this guy. In the very least, it's warning them if they don't already know.</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:6f073e4f-9884-4533-9865-19484847b765">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE] On a side note, I hate when people say things like "crazies" to describe people with mental illness.  It's pretty insulting and demeaning, IMO.

I'm sorry if you were referring to me saying crazy delusional in my PP. I didn't mean it to describe someone with a mental illness, I just meant people who are weirdos for no reason other than being a weirdo. This man is either that, or does have a mental illness, either of which could result in something bad happening.
    5/27/12
  • alyssag721alyssag721 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_update-neighbor-drama-long-paragraphs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:40f37da0-bf6d-4bd5-8d1c-5a93cd12fca9Post:59f4681f-e09f-45a6-89ff-1155bccc94bc">Re: Update On Neighbor Drama - Long, has paragraphs</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/suicide-hotlines-and-resources">http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/suicide-hotlines-and-resources</a> This came up for just "northern california mental health hotlines." Perhaps one of these numbers can help you find the right contact for your area.

<div>Jas - Thank you. I just actually called EPS. I spoke to a nurse who told me that if he starts yelling again to call 911 and tell them that I have already spoken to EPS and they recommend a referral. I guess I waited too long to call 911 now because she said if he has calmed down the police may not see the same person I am describing and might not do anything about it. </div><div>
    </div><div>I am actually really upset right now cuz FI is yelling at me saying to stay out of it. He is really angry. I told him that if children are involved it is different, but he is just not undertsanding. He thinks I am butting my nose in where I don't belong.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards