New Jersey

Did anyone use the invite wording "Honour of Your Presence" Outside of a church

I posted this on Invites and didn't really get too much insight of the issue so I'll try here. FI and I are starting to work on our invite wording. We are having a religious ceremony with a minister at our venue.  I read somewhere that is it now acceptable to use the wording "Honour of your presence" for religious ceremonies outside of a church.  Although this is not "traditional" etiquette do you think it would be ok to use?  Did you or have you received an invite with this wording that was not inside a church.  I want to use this wording because we just don't like "pleasure of your company." My mom says it's fine and no one with think twice about it but I'm just not sure.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Did anyone use the invite wording "Honour of Your Presence" Outside of a church

• edited December 2011
    I didn't use it, but I think it's totally fine.  Plus, I've read that it's now okay to write "honor of your presence" if the ceremony is outside of a church as long as you write "honor" instead of "honour."  So you could consider that as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I used it and my wedding is not in a church. I honestly think you should use the wording you like. You will be happier in the end.
  • NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely think it's ok to use that wording. I don't think anyone will think twice about it.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't think anyone would think twice about it ... I would've never known the difference if not for this message board.

But I think you're also covered since it's a religious ceremony. If you're really unsure, ask your minister for an opinion.
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen "pleasure of your company" used for weddings in houses of worship, and "hono(u)r of your presence" used for ceremonies elsewhere. It may not be "proper," but I really don't think it's a big deal.

To me, "hono(u)r" suggests formality and "pleasure" indicates something more relaxed ... and I'm guessing these rules were written when most people got married in a religious building - and if they didn't, it would be at a courthouse or in the backyard. But these days, it's not uncommon to see low-key church weddings or black-tie hotel/banquet hall ceremonies. So I think the formality of your event should be the deciding factor - not where it's being held or if there will be a religious officiant. If the pleasure of my company was requested for a secular ceremony at an opulent venue like The Venetian, I'd probably be taken aback.

And I don't think any etiquette gurus ever said that it has to be "honour" for house-of-worship ceremonies, with "honor" reserved for other locations. I really think that was something that people made up on message boards.

We did have a church ceremony ... it wasn't grand, but we still followed the guidelines because "pleasure of your company" sounded too casual. We used "honor" to keep it from looking excessively formal, and because I associate Americans using British spelling with emo English majors. ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I used "Pleasure of your company" for this reason (read it on Martha's website lol) since my ceremony is not in a church.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We used "honor of your presence" and we are not getting married at a church. I didn't know you couldn't use it- we just liked it better. The invite books I've see all had it as either/or, depending on your preference.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes. I asked around, searched all over the internet, and no one could explain WHY "honour of your presence" is only for church ceremonies. So I said f*ck it, I like it better, I'm using it!
  • edited December 2011
    I wanted to do what you are asking to do, but I knew it wasn't proper. I ended up going with "pleasure of your company" even though I'm not crazy about it. But to be honest, I don't think anyone notices or cares one way or another.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, I was already going to etiquette hell because I'm either printing on the envelopes or using labels so I guess I'll go all out. I really don't think anyone(with the exception of other knotties ;P) will even know the difference.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_did-anyone-use-working-honour-of-presence-outside-of-church?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:6d22a56e-2308-4512-92c0-421a256ac499Post:e1023c1f-7f7e-42ef-a70a-ad09c713408f">Re: Did anyone use the invite wording "Honour of Your Presence" Outside of a church</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies, I was already going to etiquette hell because I'm either printing on the envelopes or using labels so I guess I'll go all out. I really don't think anyone(with the exception of other knotties ;P) will even know the difference.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well in that case you may as well go big or go home! :-)

</div>
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BILs had "honour" on theirs... but they're Australian ;)

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards