Snarky Brides
Options

Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years

http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/a-mcnugget-only-diet/

I can't, especially after learning how those fricken things are actually made. 
panther

Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years

• Options
    My grandma would say "There's a little girl who's momma didn't love her enough."

I can't imagine only eating one thing my entire life.  No veg at all!  No curiosity to try other foods?  it's so bizarre to me.
  • Options
    Mmmm especially when this is what it starts out as!

• Options
    Yeah , I just read this. I'll be honest I want to smack her parents for indulging this for so many years. She's only 17, that means she's been doing this since she was 2 (or full of crap) when this started.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was just talking about this with a friend, at lunch. I'm not sure I believe the story. I just can't imagine no one in this girls life ever stepped up and said anything about it. When Michael doesn't feel well I generally will throw out "It's because you've never eaten a vegetable and you don't drink water." It's my overdramatic way of saying "you don't eat enough veggies and you should drink more water."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I understand that parents are busy, and sometimes hate the fuss of having to fight about food with their kid so they would just rather let them eat something versus nothing.  This however, is absolute crap.  I worked for someone who always fed their kid TV dinners (chx nuggets + corn + brownie kind) because she was so busy.  I don't even think that is good... but at least she was getting fruit and veggies and trying other things!
  • Options
    What kind of parent buys a 2-17 year old nuggets every day!  Its not like she could go buy her own nuggets at 2 years old, urgh stories like this make me want to smack the parents.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_imagine-eating-nothing-but-chicken-mcnuggets-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f52ec99-9395-47b7-a2b5-b88ccab32a05Post:ae10b0a3-a118-4eb8-8094-eb98842912ba">Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just talking about this with a friend, at lunch. I'm not sure I believe the story.<strong> I just can't imagine no one in this girls life ever stepped up and said anything about it</strong>. When Michael doesn't feel well I generally will throw out "It's because you've never eaten a vegetable and you don't drink water." It's my overdramatic way of saying "you don't eat enough veggies and you should drink more water."
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is why I side eyed this whole story. And I dont care how busy a parent is, cook a frickin vegetable once in awhile. And if you are cooking at home, she's not eating McNuggets.
  • Options
    The mother in the article said they tried starving her once, and she still didn't cave.  But wouldn't you take her to a dr. or therapist at that point?  I know they have food therapists out there.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options
    This is a form of child abuse to me. Gross.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_imagine-eating-nothing-but-chicken-mcnuggets-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f52ec99-9395-47b7-a2b5-b88ccab32a05Post:1b1746e0-108a-45b5-8a30-b587acb3da24">Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a firm believer of "if a child gets hungry enough, they will eat what's offered to them."  My aunt will make her kids separate meals constantly because she's so worried about them being overly hungry - when I baby sit them, if they won't eat what I make, I say "Oh, ok. You don't have to." When they realize they're not getting something else, they generally will eat it.  It's just ridiculous that so many parents think their children will starve to death if they don't like a meal or two.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

I love this! I have a GF who did that with a mutual friends son all.the.time!  This mutual friend would coddle her oldest and make him a seperate meal. But, like you that didnt go in my BFF's house. You eat what she made, or go hungry. Yeah, he always ate.
  • Options
    agreed, kd.

dj, when we were younger mom's famous line was "well it's gonna taste a helluva lot worse when it's cold so you might as well eat it while it's hot, it's your only option."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    My dad used to say the same DMill. 

lbarr, please tell me that picture isn't real. 

ETA:  We also used to have to take "no thank you bites" of everything before we could say we didn't like something.  Granted, even if we didn't like it, we had to finish what was on our plates but it was neve a full serving if it was a new food. 
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    How does she not have scurvy?

Edit: And every other vitamin deficiency imagineable.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    My mom did the same thing with us, DJ.  We either ate what was for dinner or we didn't eat.  More often than not, we definitely ate :)

My mom did take us to McDonalds once in a while.  I mean, parents can definitely be granted that once in a while.  But every single day?  Every meal?  Thefuck!  I made meatballs on Tuesday and there are still some leftover for us to eat and I'm sick of them already.  I can't imagine eating the same gross shiit every day for years.
    panther
  • Options
    The article said she might die. I am sure she has several deficiencies along with a fatty liver, poor heart, and clogged arteries.
  • Options
    I hope it's not ... and if it's not my apologies for promoting that crap.

HOWEVER, I'm pretty stinking sure it is real.  Essentially, it is ground up everything (bone, guts, etc.).  The crazy amount of salt would make sense, you know, to get rid of that chicken intestine flavor.....
  • Options
    Also, I ate worse as a kid than anyone else I knew -- essentially McDonald's, Taco Bell, Burger King repeat, so I have no room to talk about healthy eating (though I eat well now and would not let my kid eat like that), but don't you just get horribly sick of the same fuucking thing? Eat a cheeseburger for chrissakes!
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I can't imagine eatting like that every day. The whole thing is gross. I will admit though I do like the Chicken Nuggets.
    Even though I can't be so sure anymore after i saw the picture that Ibarr posted.

I did rear some where on FB that food from fast food places like that take a very long time to break down in your body. They even claimed their doctor had a very old MCdonalds hambergur and fries from two years ago placed on the counter for the patients to see just how bad it is.

That was one reason I didn't go today to get some fries even though I really wanted some. 
  • Options
    I can't imagine why any parent would fuel an addiction like this at such a young age.

I too had to eat what was put on my plate, if I refused or starved myself because I only wanted to eat high sat/high fat food I am positive that my parents would have taken me somewhere for help.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_imagine-eating-nothing-but-chicken-mcnuggets-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f52ec99-9395-47b7-a2b5-b88ccab32a05Post:47ea589e-7f2f-42a8-9e11-2bf0a291c75d">Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope it's not ... and if it's not my apologies for promoting that crap. HOWEVER, I'm pretty stinking sure it is real.  Essentially, it is ground up everything (bone, guts, etc.).  The crazy amount of salt would make sense, you know, to get rid of that chicken intestine flavor.....
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

The salt is also to get rid of the chemical taste -- there's a ton of chemicals in Mcnuggets.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_imagine-eating-nothing-but-chicken-mcnuggets-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f52ec99-9395-47b7-a2b5-b88ccab32a05Post:47ea589e-7f2f-42a8-9e11-2bf0a291c75d">Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope it's not ... and if it's not my apologies for promoting that crap. HOWEVER, I'm pretty stinking sure it is real.  Essentially, it is ground up everything (bone, guts, etc.).  The crazy amount of salt would make sense, you know, to get rid of that chicken intestine flavor.....
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

I think that stuff is real.  I read how it was made and just about barfed.  It's basically whole chickens just ground up with all these chemicals and preservatives and shiit in it.  The mixture is then COLORED to be the same color as chicken, because let's be honest - who is going to eat pink nuggets?  And then fried and all that garbage.

I mean, isn't it a hell of a lot simpler to use actual chicken meat in the first place?
    panther
  • Options
    Eww.

It might save them money if they ground up the chicken and added extra crap to it. Lovely.
  • Options
    When FI and I started dating, his youngest son (now 5, was 4 when we started dating) was a really picky eater. FI tried to "make him" eat veggies, etc., but everytime he went back to mom's she would cave and let him live on PBnJ and macaroni and cheese (at least she made him fruit smoothies to try to get some fruit into him, I guess). Once I started spending more time with the boys and doing the cooking, the little guy learned that either he ate what I made or he wasn't eating. Period. There were a few dinners that ended in tears (all three of us), but eventually he got the idea. Of course his mom still thinks he's a picky eater because he still pulls that crap when he's with her - but only because he knows he can get away with it there.

The fact that the mother said (in the story I read) that she basically "gave up" really pisses me off. What other bad habits does this kid have because mom couldn't put her foot down?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    nom. I totally had chicken nuggets for lunch today and they were effing delicious. nom nom. 

oh, and you'd all probably be surprised what you're actually eating. Commercial hot dogs usually contain the same 'leftover' cow/pig parts that aren't high enough quality for 'real' food.  you're welcome. 
  • Options
    Sh!t I will still eat nuggets but I eat anything lol.
  • Options
    when I was in Elementary school one "hot dog day" a few kids at my lunch table let a few of us girls know that hot dogs were really pig penises.

I haven't touched a hot dog since.
  • Options
    SHUT UP. I miss my pretty platinum badge.  Think I can petition TK to give me back my 16,000+ posts? 
  • Options
    There was an episode on 20/20 awhile back (FI's ex emailed it to us) about "food phobias". Basically the kids were super picky eaters. She sent it because she thought that was what was going on with the little guy. What I saw basically looked like the parents had given up and weren't reinforcing proper eating habits - which is what she does with the little guy. Short of a medical condition that prevents them from eating - if a kid gets hungry enough, he or she will eat. FI sent an email back saying "do you think he's a picky eater? We don't have problems getting him to eat anything." Obviously there was no response to that email.

Parents who can't control their young children will be parents who have no clue what their teenagers are doing, where and with whom. Good luck with that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_imagine-eating-nothing-but-chicken-mcnuggets-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f52ec99-9395-47b7-a2b5-b88ccab32a05Post:d8e7e8d4-654a-4dee-be08-54b0b820135e">Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years</a>:
    [QUOTE]nom. I totally had chicken nuggets for lunch today and they were effing delicious. nom nom.  oh, and you'd all probably be surprised what you're actually eating. Commercial hot dogs usually contain the same 'leftover' cow/pig parts that aren't high enough quality for 'real' food.  you're welcome. 
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Are people still surprised to hear that hot dogs are full of nasty?

I prefer 100% beef hotdogs, but of course they're still not saying <em>what part</em> of the cow they're using. I think we can assume it ain't the filet.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_imagine-eating-nothing-but-chicken-mcnuggets-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f52ec99-9395-47b7-a2b5-b88ccab32a05Post:196a3845-65aa-4a70-b0e3-e66c3797076a">Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Imagine eating nothing but Chicken McNuggets for 15 years : Talk to Fishy and she can tell you how to get your posts back.  Oh wait.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

hahaha
    woah I never thought I'd see the day where I have more posts than Steph.

And yeah this article is disgusting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards