Just Engaged and Proposals

I Couldn't Wait Any Longer...

I know that with most people, this is still a "touchy" subject. Let me be the first to say, I'm gay, and I'm not going to sit here and argue with you whether or not you agree with gay marriage nor do I want to hear your moral, religious or political views. I just want honest non-biased opinions about planning a wedding for me and my husband to be. Thank you. 

So we've been together for almost 2.5 years now. I have always asked him "So are we ever going to get married?". He always responded with "Some Day". Well, a glimmer of hope finally came on September 20, 2011. The repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell was finally in place. The 18 year old policy that prohibited me from coming out in the service, which also mind you was the unfortunate cause of my discharge, was over. I think that when 12:01am came that day (which I waited up for to officially celebrate) I think my heart skipped a beat knowing that in just a month, I will get to see my baby graduate boot camp and I could finally ask him the question I have so longed to ask. "WILL YOU MARRY ME!?" Well that didn't come just the way I wanted at first. My nerves got to me. I wanted to ask him so bad. I kept clutching the box in my pocket. Waiting and wondering "Is this the right moment?" or "Should I do it now?".
We had gone out to dinner with the family to celebrate his graduation. Olive Garden. Couldn't really ask for a better time to ask right? Well my nerves were still shot. Still uncertain if the timing was right. I kept asking him if we could go talk outside for a minute. But the excited family had just kept on with the questions and the excitement for me to get a word in edgewise. Finally after he finished his meal and we had a few moments to spare, we snuck outside to "talk". We sat outside the doors to the restaurant on the small park style bench they had there. On my way out the door I had reached into my pocket to pull out the box that I had almost destroyed from clutching to so hard in nerveousness. I carefully removed his ring and hid it. he asked me what I wanted to talk about and I told him with tear filled eyes"Today is a wonderful day in your life. Today you joined the ranks of many before you and many to come as a United States Sailor. You should be as proud as I am of you and I wish you would make me even more proud and make me the happiest man in the world. Will you marry me?" I presented to him a black and silver titanium band with an inscription inside the band of the lyrics to our song "Forever Your's-Faithfully" (Journey in-case you were wondering). Much to my relief, he said yes! I slipped the ring on his finger and gave him the biggest hug I could muster up behind the tears (trying not to knock him out because of not being able to see through them lol) As I stood up to give him the hug, I noticed that his grandmother had snuck outside for a break and she had witnessed the whole thing and could not stop smiling from ear to ear. I couldn't have asked for a better day. It's one I'll never forget. 

Re: I Couldn't Wait Any Longer...

• You two look like you belong together. Absolutely perfect!
    Your proposal story gave me goosebumps!
    Best of luck to the both of you in life and love.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_couldnt-wait-longer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:a2b1ede9-db6d-4c71-8fbf-b21d3ca79e87Post:86298613-4a51-4de8-b071-8b878f3fdda8">Re: I Couldn't Wait Any Longer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry for the late relpys. The ring is actually titanium- Its super lightweight. However, noticed that the "silver" colored titanium scratches really easily which Im not too happy about. I may just take them to a jewelers and have them brushed out. <strong>@Elle1036 Absolutely love the photo...</strong> Our picture was taken when we used to live in San Diego. We were aboard the U.S.S. Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum out on the flight deck overlooking Seaport Village and the Coronado Bridge. ;-)
    Posted by DocMutchler[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>:)</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_couldnt-wait-longer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:a2b1ede9-db6d-4c71-8fbf-b21d3ca79e87Post:86298613-4a51-4de8-b071-8b878f3fdda8">Re: I Couldn't Wait Any Longer...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry for the late relpys. The ring is actually titanium- Its super lightweight. However, noticed that the "silver" colored titanium scratches really easily which Im not too happy about. I may just take them to a jewelers and have them brushed out. @Elle1036 Absolutely love the photo... Our picture was taken when we used to live in San Diego. We were aboard the U.S.S. Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum out on the flight deck overlooking Seaport Village and the Coronado Bridge. ;-)
    Posted by DocMutchler[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Love it! Such a sweet ring! Titanium scratches like crazy. My H is in the Navy and we got him a titanium one to wear originally.. but now he also has a tungstun one (jvl jewelry... if you buy one of hte plain tungstun rings from there and check out, put in BRIDES and it's free+shipping. True story.) that doesn't scratch at ALL! It's pretty amazing and a beautiful ring, so he wears that to work most of the time and saves his special titanium one for home:) </div><div>
    </div><div>As far as being gay goes, don't feel you need to be defensive of it on this site :) I have met only a couple people that don't "approve" openly, and they usually get flamed for it. I, myself, am a child of gay parents and was a military brat. ;) </div><div>
    </div><div>A couple places to check out:</div><div>-your local board (to help find the best vendors, best prices, etc in your area) </div><div>-the gay weddings board (if you want to bond with people in that way) </div><div>-military board (if you're interested... it's a great group over there and no one is judgemental of your situation :) ) </div><div>-wedding month board (to help you know what you should have done when by checking on other people getting married in your month</div><div>
    </div><div>GL and happy planning! </div>
  • Mazel Tov!
    A lot of bridal magazines are now featuring same-sex weddings. I think it's wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards