Chit Chat

Hotel---with family!?

The hotel that we're blocking rooms for our guests has offered my fiance and i the honeymoon suite the night of our wedding as long as we book enough rooms. I don't think blocking the rooms will be a problem. I am just a little weirded out (maybe I'm weird!) about staying the same place my family is the night of our wedding. I don't think they'll be knocking on our door or anything (wouldn't that be romantic? ha ha) but am I the only one that is a little weirded out by it? I guess I imagined going away to a "secret" hotel the night of the wedding...but it would be awesome to have the free honeymoon suite for my fiance and I :)  Any expereinces with this!?!

Re: Hotel---with family!?

• You could ask if your room could be on a different floor - would that weird you out less? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you'll be fine. Just ask for the family rooms not to be on the same floor as your room. And if you are worried about it, only tell a choice few which room you'll be in. And if you have a mischievous brother, definitely don't tell them which room you're in.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If you are like us, you'll be too exhausted to do anything other than sleep on your wedding night.  We had the family staying with us in a B&B.  That's too close for comfort, not a hotel.  Also, we had my parents staying with us at our home the next night before they continued on to Atlantic City for a vacation of their own, so we we didn't get any alone time until the Monday after our wedding - and we still slept most of the day.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • As long as you're not right next door and no one knows your room number, I don't see a problem with it. Hey, it's a free hotel! I'd take it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We felt the same way so we have booked our hotel room (I'll stay there Friday night too so I can get ready Saturday in peace and quiet)  at a different hotel than the one that we blocked off rooms at.  I don't think it's weird at all. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Do you really think people are going to be knocking on your door in the hotel?  I don't think it's that big a deal.  If you're bothered they'll hear you or something, ask that your room be on a different floor.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Our hotel did this and we stayed there the night off (DH family was staying in our house).  I think you're thinking a little too much into it.  No one is going to care (family wise)  or think anything of it.

Plus like PP said. . theres a good chance that you'll be pretty darn exhausted by the time you get there.

The benefit to this situation is that when we had our wedding, my MOH knew what hotel we'd be in and asked for the room key so that she could take our stuff there head of us as well as decorate the room a little since that wasn't something the hotel did.

I also highly doubt anyone will 'interrupt / bother' you that night. 

it's a free gift! Take it :o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can't really blame you - I didn't want to stay at the same hotel because of what I heard FI's fraternity brothers did at the last wedding.  Is the honeymoon suite free with the block?  Because otherwise I'd find a different place to stay, but that's my opinion and people will differ on this.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hotel-family?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:3fd7de5c-4699-4287-b2ed-ea5f712817a5Post:dc4dc00f-5e59-4bd1-9c6a-b75b8b5ed6b2">Re: Hotel---with family!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hotel---with family!? : Off topic -- but I just LOVE, LOVE your dog!  Those are fab photos!
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Lol. . yeah, she's a hard worker :o)
  • We did this, and family stayed on our floor and the floor above.  Like PPs have suggested, it was not a problem in any way.  For one thing, we didn't give our room number to people, but even so, I think most people pretty much went straight to bed, and it's not like we were up to anything in our room since we were so exhausted.

I'm really glad we stayed there, aside from the fact that it was an awesome room and it was free, because it was nice seeing people in the hallways (and surprising - we saw a TON of people) the hours before our wedding, and also at the continental breakfast the next morning.  We weren't even all that hungry, but we got up early enough to make it down there just so we could chat with people and say goodbye to the guests who were checking out that morning.  It was nice seeing a lot of people the next morning in a more relaxed environment and getting to say goodbye, without scheduling something formal (though of course that's an option).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just tell the desk not to give out your room number and NOT to put any phone calls through.  We didn't tell anyone where we were spending our first night and no one asked BUT some of my cousins happened to notice my car in the parking lot. They asked the hotel what room we were in, they wouldn't tell. They called the front desk and asked to be put through to our room (by name since they didn't know the room number) and the desk wouldn't but did call us to confirm we didn't want calls.

Later my cousins told us they almost knocked on every door to try to find us but gave up on that idea, figuring it would tick off a lot of people and probably get them thrown out in the middle of the night.

• You could always "up grade" a family member to that room and stay else where if it weird's you out too much.  I'm sure someone would appreciate the room.  We may end up doing this for either one of our parents or one of my sisters who has kids.

Although seeing everyone off at breakfast does have a certain appeal to it instead of trying to have a formal brunch or breakfast.
  • If you aren't worried about them knocking on your door, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.  My brother had the same situation, it actually worked out quite nicely because me and a lot of his friends were from out of town so we hung out for a little while after the wedding ion someone else's room, then let them retire to their hineymoon suite undesturbed.

Just make sure no one gets a room next to your honeymoon suite :)
  • i definatly think you should take the offer, that will save money, but i would just keep it quiet that your staying there so that they dont bother you, and not sure about your family but i mine would probably know not to bother us on our wedding night!   good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They can't tell your family what room your in. So, ask for a different floor then everyone else. I don't think you'll have a problem. Your family will understand that you want special time with your new hubby!
  • edited October 2010
    We're staying in the same hotel as our OOT guests, including our parents. It's a very large hotel. An intimate B&B, maybe I can see how you'd be weirded out by it. But then again, FI and I sleep in the same bed (no nookie) when we visit our respective parents and we live together, so there's no awkwardness there for us...

We're actually hosting a breakfast in our suite the next morning.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards